Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Help with GVWR!!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1490993-help-with-gvwr.html)

f450horse 05-18-2017 05:10 PM

Help with GVWR!!!

I don't know as much about vehicle specs as I should know since I haul a one axle trailer weekly. Anyways, I'm considering purchasing a package deal on a 2016 five horse gooseneck trailer and a 2008 f-450 dually 4x4.

Someone told me I need a CDL to be able to drive the two together. I researched online, but still don't understand. The trucks sticker says GVWR:14500LB and the trailer says GVRW: 15210LB. By adding those two together giving me a total of 29710 Lb, does that mean I need a CDL?

Thanks!

PlayersZ28 05-18-2017 05:30 PM

You want to update your profile or mention where you live as that could be a factor. It may also make a difference if the haul is for pay or personal.

f450horse 05-18-2017 05:36 PM

It will mostly be driven in Oklahoma, but will surely go to Texas once in a while. On rare occasions, I might take it to Kansas, Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona.

The thing I was considering was putting the truck under my personal name, and the trailer under my ranch's name for business expense. I understand I'm pretty green in this area lol.

f450horse 05-18-2017 05:38 PM

You could say it would be for personal use, but I don't know if having the trailer under the business name would affect that

PlayersZ28 05-18-2017 06:07 PM

paintedhorse member hauls ponies, maybe he'll see the post, not sure if you can change the title to indicate horse related.

dirthawg 05-18-2017 07:07 PM

I think 26,001 combined vehicle weight requires a CDL if the trailer exceeds 10,000lbs.

Let's assume your trailer meets the maximum GVWR of 15,210 fully loaded. That means your truck must weigh less than 10,790 lbs with occupants and gear.

CascadeF250 05-18-2017 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by f450horse (Post 17199832)
It will mostly be driven in Oklahoma, but will surely go to Texas once in a while. On rare occasions, I might take it to Kansas, Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona.

The thing I was considering was putting the truck under my personal name, and the trailer under my ranch's name for business expense. I understand I'm pretty green in this area lol.

In my state, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need a CDL especially if it was used for personal and farm use. But the best place to get the correct information would be to call the state patrol of your state. Those weight ratings if I understand correctly just mean that's the maximum in each vehicle is allowed to haul, but that doesn't mean you'll be hauling anything like that all the time. Another factor is how much you are going to license the truck and trailer to haul. In Washington we have to buy the correct amount of tonnage for the vehicle but the horsetrailer is just covered by its separate license. Hauling commercially is a completely different thing.

Painted Horse 05-18-2017 07:15 PM

A CDL must be obtained by the driver of any of the following vehicles:

Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.

Any vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials

The following vehicle operators are not required to obtain a CDL:

Farm Equipment Operators - This exemption covers legitimate farm-to-market operations by farmers, not commercial grain haulers. CDLs are not required to operate vehicles:
Controlled and operated by a farmer, a member of the farmerʼs family or an employee;Used to transport farm products, equipment or supplies to or from a farm (including nurseries and aquacultures); Used within 150 air miles of the farm; andNot used in the operations of a common or contract carrier; and Used in nursery or agricultural operations.
NOTE: For the drivers of truck-tractor semitrailers, the farmer, his or her spouse and their children, parents on both sides, brothers and sisters on both sides and their spouses operating a truck-tractor semitrailer and meeting the above criteria also are exempted from the CDL Program. These drivers must be at least age 21, and the vehicle must have Farm plates. These drivers are still required to take the appropriate CDL written, skills and road tests to be licensed.

Firefighting Equipment Operators - Because most firefighting organizations have extensive initial training and re- training requirements for their equipment operators, Illinois waives CDL requirements for operators of firefighting equipment owned or operated by or for a government agency, when responding to or returning from an emergency.

Military Vehicle Operators - Operators of military vehicles for military purposes are exempt from obtaining a CDL.

Recreational Vehicle Operators - Recreational vehicle operators, when using the vehicle primarily for personal use, do not need a CDL.

senix 05-18-2017 08:14 PM

pretty much sums it up. I am at 30K plus or minus with no cdl requirement since I am not for hire and recreational.

Ferguson65 05-18-2017 08:16 PM

Not relevant to the conversation at hand, but be sure you read and think long and hard before buying a truck with the 6.4 in it.

JohnD333 05-18-2017 09:37 PM

X2, I would run, not walk away from a 2008 6.4. They just dumped emission crap on them that caused them to fail. Been there, done that. By late 2009 (model year 2010), the 6.4's were a lot better, but still no walk in the park. Ditto for the early build 6.7's model year 2011 (build date before spring 2011).

If you only pull 10k occasionally, you should buy a gasser. You may use a lot more fuel, but fuel is cheap.

Originally Posted by Ferguson65 (Post 17200181)
Not relevant to the conversation at hand, but be sure you read and think long and hard before buying a truck with the 6.4 in it.

senix 05-19-2017 05:01 AM

I had a job 3 2008 6.4 and mine was a really good one. While it was the first generation of dpf I had no issues with mine.

I'd imagine with the one the op is considering though is high miles and needs work on it.

Just not worth it.