Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Truck shut down while pulling 14,000 lb 5th wheel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1488179-truck-shut-down-while-pulling-14-000-lb-5th-wheel.html)

blue turd 04-29-2017 08:54 AM

Truck shut down while pulling 14,000 lb 5th wheel

Yesterday I was pulling my 14,000 lb toy hauler up a hill and the truck displayed a message "Pull over Safely Now" or something to that affect. I was going up a hill over a 1 lane bridge when the truck just shut down! I tried turning key off and restarting truck but it wouldn't start or crank.

So I was stranded and trying to direct traffic with no cell phone service when a guy rolled up with an older Cummans 5.9 with a 5 speed and offered to pull me. I was amazed at how well his truck did pulling me with my 14,000 lb trailer still attached up a 6% grade for 2 miles to a pullout on the side of the road.

I attempted to start truck and it wouldn't even crank. About an 1 1/2 later I tried again and it fired up. I dropped the trailer and drove to a ford dealer. They squeezed me in at the very end of the day and said I had a bad Egt sensor. The sensor broke off when they tried removing and they broke the easy out off. Ended up removing the bung and welding a new one one. Is there a trick to getting them out? Arizona truck with no rust. Said truck showed a 20E code exhaust over temperature. Put it back together and was on my way back to get trailer when 5 min down the road, it went into REGEN. 15 minutes into REGEN, I lost all power. Truck was still running. No reduce engine power, or wrench symbol on message You push the gas pedal and it wouldn't rev at all or go anywhere. Pulled over and shut key off and back up and truck ran.

Hooked back onto trailer and took it easy to camp site 40 miles away. Drive to clean Exhaust came on and stayed on over 35 mines while towing.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have a idea what's going on? I have never had truck shut off while driving before. Are other EGT sensors going bad or DPF plugged up? I have had EGR Sensor replaced few years ago when it kept losing power while towing.

Thanks in Advance and appreciate any input you guys might have

speakerfritz 04-29-2017 03:02 PM

Im thinking of adding water/methonal injection for this very reason...Im reading a lot of "while towing" "my truck died" type stuff.

blue turd 04-30-2017 09:11 AM

You have a good point. I used to have a snow methanol injection pump on my supercharged mustang that dropped the air charge temps. Dealer made it sound like sensor just failed. My buddies truck shut down on his way to work on morning. My 2008 is a job 1 and was built in May of 2007 I believe. So sensors are almost 10 years old. I am thinking about changing all of them for peace of mind. Cheap insurance in my mind. I don't want to worry every time I make a left hand turn and have truck shut down lol

Originally Posted by speakerfritz (Post 17153058)
Im thinking of adding water/methonal injection for this very reason...Im reading a lot of "while towing" "my truck died" type stuff.

cruz2322 04-30-2017 03:32 PM

If I were you, I check the low end on the turbo's might be getting water way to much oil in the system, all though my 6.4 never shutdown,my mechanic said that the censer tend to ware out after time. Now I have to redo the turbo's. to be hones I think ford made out like bandit with the 6.4L and having never ex-spelled a recall on these models of the 6.4 why should they after all international should be the one's doing it right.

blue turd 05-01-2017 08:16 AM

Truck is going to my Regular Ford Dealership today. I will let everyone know what they find.

ab257z 05-01-2017 01:21 PM

EGT

Very common problem, the exhaust gas sensor (usually on the DPF) shorts out, tells you to pull over safely, and when it gets below 4 mph it shuts down. Supposed to be able to restart when temperature gets down, but if the sensor is shorted, it won't restart.

Nearly got us killed along side I70 in Indiana when it happened to us at about 80,000 miles.

Apparently there are 3 sensors on the exhaust that can shut you down, so we had them all replaced. Snapping off is also very common.

blue turd 05-01-2017 01:48 PM

My truck just turned 80,300 miles on this trip. They replaced one sensor on Friday and truck kept going into REGEN and would lose all power with nothing on message display. It would just idle around 1000 RPM and wouldn't drive. . Shut truck off and restart and it would run again. Had to dump the trailer and truck kept trying to go on the regen. it would shut down then and said drive to clean exhaust and it stayed running. At Ford now. Not a good feeling with 15,000 lbs behind you. I will update everyone as soon as I find out from Ford I'm probably going to change all the sensors just for peace of mind and not have to deal with this again

Originally Posted by ab257z (Post 17157525)
Very common problem, the exhaust gas sensor (usually on the DPF) shorts out, tells you to pull over safely, and when it gets below 4 mph it shuts down. Supposed to be able to restart when temperature gets down, but if the sensor is shorted, it won't restart.

Nearly got us killed along side I70 in Indiana when it happened to us at about 80,000 miles.

Apparently there are 3 sensors on the exhaust that can shut you down, so we had them all replaced. Snapping off is also very common.

blue turd 05-05-2017 08:45 PM

Just got a call from Ford saying my a Truck is ready. They said the DPF pressure sensor had melted. I will get the work order with the codes and post after I pick truck up on Monday. Anyone had something similiar or experience frequent REGENS?

jimh425 05-06-2017 01:35 AM

I wish others here hadn't had similar experiences. Of course, those without DPFs installed and with EGR at least turned off don't have the issues.

CampSpringsJohn 05-06-2017 08:37 AM

I deleted mine when I got it. I have never had any of those issues.

mel105hunting 07-23-2017 01:32 PM

My F450 did the same thing. one sensor went bad. they replaced it free and reprogramed the computer so it takes two sensors tp shut it down.
Mel D

blue turd 07-23-2017 03:07 PM

Wish they would have programmed mine to shut down only if two sensors go bad. Might have to see if they can do it next time it goes in for service. Thanks for sharing