Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   At a loss (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1487333-at-a-loss.html)

tjustice 04-24-2017 06:56 AM

At a loss

Here is the story; picked up a 03 motor was in pieces and had been sitting a while, put her back together, studded deleted, new hpop, stand pipes, nipple Oring's, Icp, Ipr pretty much most all new stuff on the oil side. 4 new injectors, Oring's on the 4 that was in the truck. Ended up doing a low pressure oil pump after a day of cranking and beating head on the wall. Got the truck running good numbers on all the sensors so cut her off till the next morning. Started her yesterday let idle for a bit, ran up to 1600 rpm let off, truck died... not started back since. Getting no hpop pressure. So back to the leak test, Oh pulled Ipr cleaned trash off screen was still good.. Hooked up the air on driver side oil rail and can hear air going thru the rail but can't find a leak to save my life. Nothing obvious that is..... any suggestions

bismic 04-24-2017 07:01 AM

Did you replace the HPOP?

Did you wait long enough to push all of the oil out on the air test?

Can you hear the air flow stop or slow down when you close the IPR valve (I would listen at the oil fill nozzle).

tjustice 04-24-2017 07:30 AM

Got cut short..... The rest of the story...... Pulled oil rails checked nipple rings, pulled injectors checked rings, replaced top orings, put back together still have leak on driver side some where.

tjustice 04-24-2017 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by bismic (Post 17138032)
Did you replace the HPOP?

Did you wait long enough to push all of the oil out on the air test?

Can you hear the air flow stop or slow down when you close the IPR valve (I would listen at the oil fill nozzle).

This just happened yesterday morning..... hpop was new, I would say so on the oil being gone, worked on it all day yesterday, Closing the IPR doesn't really seem to change anything. One reason I took off to look at it. Cleaned it and put back in still didn't change anything

tjustice 04-24-2017 08:04 AM

Just pulled codes looks like IPR is stuck open....

2006powerstroke90 04-24-2017 08:43 AM

IPR will be commanded to the max when theres a leak for the truck to try and start....

Just went thru this myself, Did you replace the o rings under the nipple cups? Did you replace the o ring on the test port itself?

Yama4fitty 04-24-2017 09:08 AM

If the IPR is not commanded shut by applying 12v while doing the air test then air will pass through the system into the crankcase. When applying the power you should hear the air stop unless there is an actual leak.

Air passing into the crankcase will be heard with valve covers off, but it won't be a loud hissing sound, more of a slightly faint sound of air movement.

Pull the IPR, throw some power to it and see if it actually moves. Only way to tell if it is working or not. With an IPR code you probably didn't connect it right, bent a prong on electrical connector, or its taking a dump on you.

On a side note, did you replace the copper seals at the injector tips when you pulled them all out and put back in? If you did not you'll be looking at having combustion gasses blowing back through your fuel system.

tjustice 04-24-2017 10:18 AM

Commanded Ipr to close, couldn't tell a difference in the air flow or sound as in before replacing the nipple orings.... Injectors got the full work up. Copper rings and orings top to bottom. Putting new Ipr in now, let ya know shortly....

tjustice 04-24-2017 10:32 AM

Well I hit 150 psi. Now getting cylinders 1&2 glow plug code

2006powerstroke90 04-24-2017 10:35 AM

So you definitely have a leak.....Glow plugs won't cause this issue....

tjustice 04-24-2017 10:37 AM

Yup. Going back in for air test

tjustice 04-24-2017 12:11 PM

Back to still a leak on driver side, new nipples and orings short of it being the injectors everything else is new that could leak

2006powerstroke90 04-24-2017 12:13 PM

Can you air test it and post up a video of it?

Did you replace the top injetor o rings where the nipple sits into the injetor itself?

tjustice 04-24-2017 12:35 PM

Yes sir, replaced top orings inside injector as well as new nipples and orings.... Pulled apart just to double check the oil return tube (stc) give me a lil while and I will be back

tjustice 04-24-2017 02:04 PM

Ended up being the new oil return tube .... Go figure, ran for 2 days the blew the oring out. Thanks to all