Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   1989 FORD F350 7.5L 460 AUTO... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1486706-1989-ford-f350-7-5l-460-auto.html)

cklamer 04-19-2017 03:38 PM

1989 FORD F350 7.5L 460 AUTO...

1 Attachment(s)
Okay I listed this in another thread but thought it would be better to start my own.
My truck is loosing power going up a long steep incline which I have everyday going home and it is so bad I hit my emergency flashers so I don't get hit.
Now everything below has been replaced and or upgraded to what is listed. When I got the truck the exhaust was a badly configured dual that sounded terrible and was also in bad shape. The exhaust manifolds were leaking and I don't believe they were running the 02 Sensor.

It also has a dead spot on initial acceleration where you are at a light and hit the gas and nothing and then wham it lurches forward so have to be careful. It did this before all of the repairs below. It also lost power on hills just not this bad. Have to tow some motorcycles soon and don't want the truck to die on the side of the mountain.

1989 FORD F350 7.5L 460
DOUG THORLEY HEADERS
3" SINGLE FLOWMASTER EXHAUST
K&N COLD AIR INTAKE
61MM BBK THROTTLE BODY
FORD PLUG WIRES
NEW PLUGS
NEW CAP & ROTOR
NEW EGR VALVE AND TUBE
NEW TPS AND IAC
NEW FUEL FILTERS
NEW O2 SENSOR
NEW MAP SENSOR

Just about every component under the hood has been replaced that has to do with fuel. The only item that I know of is the Fuel Regulator valve and I have that in my hands.
Hoping that will take care of the power loss going up long steep inclines.
The fuel pump has been checked it sits at 44 PSI at idle.

On another thread someone was talking about the timing advance is this something to experiment with?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachment 193749

rla2005 04-19-2017 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by cklamer (Post 17127348)
The fuel pump has been checked it sits at 44 PSI at idle.

The fuel pressure at idle should be ~32 - 35 PSI. 44 PSI is definitely way too much. Looks like the fuel pressure regulator is bad or the return line is partially plugged. Start with the regulator first.

V8SHO 04-20-2017 09:32 AM

Wow that is one nice truck!

cklamer 04-20-2017 10:15 AM

Yeah it was in pretty decent shape and had low miles. The first owner only drove occasionally on the weekends hauling a camper and the last owner only drove around his chicken farm. So it only had about 65,000 miles on it.

I have completely redone the interior it looks pretty much brand new inside. Now I am on to the engine and getting it to run better and so far so good.

Next will be getting the bed liner done and a few paint issues. Have to replace the passenger side rear fender someone has about broke all of the mounts on the fiberglass fender. Trying to see how much I can get painted with my insurance money.

cklamer 04-21-2017 07:18 AM

I have already replaced the tailgate the original was bent in the middle about 2 1/2 inches. The trim piece was bolted from the outside because everything inside was busted so not worth trying to salvage.

So just going to leave it plain for now.

cklamer 04-25-2017 10:49 AM

Well my mechanic texted me and said the truck was ready to go.
Then he sent another text and said I was going to be very happy with the results. ;-)
He installed the Fuel Regulator and I had him look at the timing advance and didn't tell him how much but he hit it right on what was recommended on here.
He advanced it by 12 degrees and says it hauls ass now.
Really excited but I can't pick it up until tomorrow. ;-(

YAY!

cklamer 04-26-2017 08:50 PM

Holy **** this is a totally different truck. I cannot believe what a difference the 12 degrees of timing and new fuel regulator.
This truck pulls like a damn elephant on steroids.

rla2005 05-01-2017 11:00 AM

Glad to see you got it fixed.

cklamer 05-01-2017 01:10 PM

I finally drove the truck last Friday pulling a trailer with a motorcycle and as I was coming up to that mountain I was just praying that I make it to the top. I ended up passing a slower truck and it just kept on going. Saturday I had two motorcycles and it pulled just fine. You can see the difference in gas mileage when you are pulling something. Pulls just like he said like a freight train. ;-)