Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   HELP, I am found on roadside dead! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1486134-help-i-am-found-on-roadside-dead.html)

johnl2 04-16-2017 09:08 AM

HELP, I am found on roadside dead!

I posted in another thread about rough running, sent ficm in to Ed, no change, changed stand pipe and dummy plug on driver side, no change and guess what? Now I am stuck on the side of the road waiting to give my last $100 to a tow truck! Engine is hydrolocked, fuel pressure is low, starts off at around 20 and works up to 54 with key on engine off, and that is as much as I know from the side of the road with out my AE. Blew white smoke also. Smelled of unburnt diesel. Any help is greatly appreciated. I think it's linked to my rough running issue. Maybe a bad injector? But every time I did the click test they all passed. Idk, I'm gonna remove the glow plugs and see which hole is loaded and with what. . .

mustang_309 04-16-2017 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by johnl2 (Post 17118112)
I posted in another thread about rough running, sent ficm in to Ed, no change, changed stand pipe and dummy plug on driver side, no change and guess what? Now I am stuck on the side of the road waiting to give my last $100 to a tow truck! Engine is hydrolocked, fuel pressure is low, starts off at around 20 and works up to 54 with key on engine off, and that is as much as I know from the side of the road with out my AE. Blew white smoke also. Smelled of unburnt diesel. Any help is greatly appreciated. I think it's linked to my rough running issue. Maybe a bad injector? But every time I did the click test they all passed. Idk, I'm gonna remove the glow plugs and see which hole is loaded and with what. . .

Definitely a bad ( hung open injector ) and you are on the right path. After you find the faulty cylinder and replace that injector perform a bubble test to see if you have others that are starting to fail in the same way. To do a bubble test remove the secondary fuel filter and crank the engine over using the starter wire that runs along the passenger side fender, disconnect that wire and touch it directly to the positive post of the passenger side battery and crank the engine while watching for bubbles in the secondary fuel filter housing.

mustang_309 04-16-2017 09:21 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qw_Bc1d7fU crank the engine over as shown in this video to evacuate the hydrolocked cylinder and also for the bubble test, make sure the key is NOT on when doing this.

TooManyToys. 04-16-2017 09:58 AM

The buzz check only is an indicator of how the oil spool valve and its coils are working. There is much more to an injector and why the IDS is the real tool necessary to diagnose an injector drive issue. The internals of an injector could be scored or an injector tip cracked or blown.

johnl2 04-16-2017 10:14 AM

Thank you mustang and toomany, I appreciate the fast responses. I am home now and about to dive in. Any ideas on how to get those glow booties off? I do not have the tool. I WISH I could afford an IDS. But I'll know which injector it is that failed when I take that glow plug out. . . I did a bubble test not a week ago, passed. Also, a little history, I did the oil cooler and egr cooler, coolant flush/filter, filled the good stuff, had injectors out on drivers side so many times, this last time I replaced the copper washers, did everything right and now it all falls apart on me! It almost seems like it happened b/c I took it apart! How is this coincidence! It started out as a rough idle jumping cylinders. Now this.

P.S. Oh, and why the low fuel pressure? I did the spring upgrade and it stayed at 62 always. Now it's low!

TooManyToys. 04-16-2017 11:05 AM

If it's bypassing the fuel through the injector it could be filling up the cylinder, out a partially opened valve, etc. depends what is leaking.

BLADE35 04-16-2017 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by johnl2 (Post 17118285)
art! How is this coincidence! It started out as a rough idle jumping cylinders. Now this.

P.S. Oh, and why the low fuel pressure? I did the spring upgrade and it stayed at 62 always. Now it's low!

It jumped because the fuell rail got pumped up with combustion gas from the bad inject letting it in fuel rail

You had classic failed inject symtoms

johnl2 04-16-2017 11:29 AM

Damn, I wish I had known how else to test the injectors. How would I have caught that? Like I said, I've been chasing this problem for months. I dismissed the injectors and moved on. Easy to do since they cost so much. How would I test the injectors short of fords ids? Also, anyone know how to take those boots off without the tool?

Thanks

johnl2 04-16-2017 12:12 PM

Screw this, I cannot get the glow plug boots off, it is a bigger pain in the ass than anything. Can't I just take the valve covers off and remove the injectors one at a time to see which cylinder is flooded?

mustang_309 04-16-2017 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by johnl2 (Post 17118532)
Screw this, I cannot get the glow plug boots off, it is a bigger pain in the ass than anything. Can't I just take the valve covers off and remove the injectors one at a time to see which cylinder is flooded?

No because you need to evacuate the problem cylinder of the fuel and you wouldn't be able to see down in the cylinder through the injector cup as the hole where the injector tip goes down through is small.

WatsonR 04-16-2017 12:33 PM

Take some 14 gage wire, wrap it around the boot, pull from the bottom.

johnl2 04-16-2017 12:42 PM

THANKS WATSONR!!!!! I will try that. Either way, obviously they need to come out, whether I need a new harness or not! As if I have the $ for this!!!!

johnl2 04-16-2017 01:03 PM

no, they are all too old and cracking right down to the metal. This seems impossible short of removing the entire rocker box and pushing them out from the inside. But then I won't find my leak. . . any ideas?

johnl2 04-16-2017 01:06 PM

anyone have a glow plug tool and can give me the dimensions? I can easily make one. I tried to just make one before but I cannot get the dimensions right.

johnl2 04-16-2017 01:39 PM

nevermind, too late for that. I am totally screwed, the boots are just barely sticking up out of the box, only thing I can think of now is drilling them out at the risk of destroying the plugs. anybody?