Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   6.4 Hemi (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1481022-6-4-hemi.html)

RainDesert 03-15-2017 10:45 PM

6.4 Hemi

As more guys I know are moving to gas, some of them are pretty hard core Mopar guys. I have done a little research on the 6.4 and it seems pretty solid with some early problems that have been addressed. When you all shopped the 6.2, did any of your research or experiences keep the 6.4 off the table? I'm a Ford guy so there really wasn't any chance for me, but my Mopar friends are interested. TIA:)

Grodyman 03-16-2017 12:05 AM

I almost bought a Hemi dually. Love the truck and motor, and wanted the air suspension. Ultimately, I opted to stay with Ford 6.2, mainly for the transmission. The Ford transmission ratios are superior. I have read about a lot of quirkiness with the Ram transmission.

IE: Large gap between 1 and 2, causing lugging. Transmission shifting down several gears and screaming etc. I drove one and didn't like the responsiveness when shifting manually, had a delayed reaction, and sometimes skipped gears if you held the toggle button too long.

I believe the Ford gasser with 4.30 gears is still the best gas powertrain.
Gman

RainDesert 03-16-2017 12:13 AM

Thanks Gman. I have read the same complaints about that tranny. I wonder if custom tuning can fix some if it?

kry226 03-16-2017 12:26 AM

I'm in that research mode right now for when we come back home, and well, I tend to research for a LONG time prior to making such a big expensive purchase.

There are really three different powertrain set-ups that are contenders for me, two of which are the 6.2 Ford and the 6.4 Ram. Right now, the 6.2 is ahead in the competition for a few reasons. 1.) 4.30 gears. 4.10 is the best you can get with the 6.4 and for the weights I'm expecting to tow, I think I'll be much happier with the 4.30s, although 4.44s which are offered in other Ram chassis levels may sway that if they ever make it into the 2500/3500 pickups. 2.) Transmission. I think the Ford easily wins here too. 3.) 48 gallon fuel tank. This absolutely rocks compared to the measly 31 gal tank in the Ram (gas or diesel). If Titan made a large capacity tank approved for gasoline, this would be moot. 4.) Finally, while there's no replacement for displacement, IIRC, the 6.2 peaks torque earlier than the 6.4, so win for Ford there too. There are a few other small quirks I like better in the Ford than the Ram, and a few that are better in the Ram, but none are deal breakers... just a few nuances.

Where the Ram shines is price and warranty support, IMHO. Ford is really proud of their trucks and if we're honest, you can get A LOT more Ram for the price, which cuts into that diesel premium gasser guys typically save. Going gas though, really takes much of the warranty concerns out of the equation.

Since I'm not a brand loyal kind of guy, I'm going to buy what I think is the best truck and options for me at that time. If I go gasser, I think that's Ford, but Ram is expected to at least update their HD trucks in the next year or two, if not release the new 5th Gen, so we'll have to wait and see.

Just some thoughts, YMMV.

Chuck's First Ford 03-16-2017 06:43 AM

I am not picking on the truck

but the current Owners... and past owners.. of the Ram/Dodge/Chrysler.

lack of warranty support anytime they want...

remember the 7 years and 70,000 miles.. and they Lied... changed it after the sale.. to 3 and 36k....

These can do the same thing..... at anytime.

but RAM does make the best Looking Dually.. by a country mile..
notice no public news of the New company called "RAM".. or why the split.

and remember the Hemi is also a lie.. its not a real hemi...

look it up..

82_F100_300Six 03-16-2017 12:10 PM

I never would have considered the 6.4 hemi because

- the cylinder cut off stuff ( so glad our 6.2 doesn't have this)
- the motor oil is some type of high dollar 0-something weight
-some engines had wrist pin problems

rvpuller 03-16-2017 12:38 PM

I understand that 89 oct is recommended but 87 can be used, tells me they haven't got the computer controls down like Ford has.

Denny

82_F100_300Six 03-16-2017 02:09 PM

I've read a lot of threads on cumminsforum about them. I think they are cool but I would imagine that a 6.4 hemi in a 2500 and up with 4x4 the mpgs would be absolutely brutal.
Add a lift and some big tires and its all over.
​​​​​(yes I believe our six two gets the best mpg of the big three gassers)

Mmaxed 03-16-2017 02:26 PM

I wound up with the hemi 18 months ago. Was looking to upgrade my V10 to a 6.2. Drove 2 or3 F350s with the 6.2. They all felt exactly like my '08 with a slightly different look. Decided to drive the Ram on advice of a few people and as they say the rest is history.

I really like the Ram for the most part. Interior comfort is by far the best for me. Ride is equal or better and it handles the trailer weight very well.

As others have noted, the fuel tank and tranny gearing are downsides.

Mileage runs from 12s to 15s running solo. This is at 70 mph and up. Should easily get into the 16 at 60-65.

I tow a 14k toy hauler in the wind and mountains of MT. From 0-45 the tuned V10 had an edge. The tranny and computer nanny kill the Ram at lower speeds. 50 mph and up the Hemi is far stronger that the V10.

So far I am happy with the Ram. It's all about what compromises you want to make. For me comfort is a big one. I sometimes set in the drivers seat for 10-12 hours at a time, not as young as I used to be and don't want to have a seat that doesn't like me.

I think it mostly comes down to personal preference and brand loyalty. I must not be too brand loyal as I went from Chevy to Ford to Ram.

82_F100_300Six 03-16-2017 02:35 PM

We had a 2014 3500 tradesman western brown with the Cummins it was a great truck. Everybody in the family loved it. It recently got traded off. Looking back I sure would have preferred to take it down and just put gas in it than those 3 gallon oil changes and $150 (parts only me doing it) fuel filters front and rear.
I wasn't crazy about no locking hubs but it was nice to just pull the manual lever and be in 4x4

ncl 03-16-2017 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mmaxed (Post 17037880)
I wound up with the hemi 18 months ago. Was looking to upgrade my V10 to a 6.2. Drove 2 or3 F350s with the 6.2. They all felt exactly like my '08 with a slightly different look. Decided to drive the Ram on advice of a few people and as they say the rest is history.

I really like the Ram for the most part. Interior comfort is by far the best for me. Ride is equal or better and it handles the trailer weight very well.

As others have noted, the fuel tank and tranny gearing are downsides.

Mileage runs from 12s to 15s running solo. This is at 70 mph and up. Should easily get into the 16 at 60-65.

I tow a 14k toy hauler in the wind and mountains of MT. From 0-45 the tuned V10 had an edge. The tranny and computer nanny kill the Ram at lower speeds. 50 mph and up the Hemi is far stronger that the V10.

So far I am happy with the Ram. It's all about what compromises you want to make. For me comfort is a big one. I sometimes set in the drivers seat for 10-12 hours at a time, not as young as I used to be and don't want to have a seat that doesn't like me.

I think it mostly comes down to personal preference and brand loyalty. I must not be too brand loyal as I went from Chevy to Ford to Ram.

Also a Ram owner for 18 months now. Everything said above is spot on. I came from a 05 superduty with 4.10s and the v10. Above 40-50 the ram pulls much harder. We will be making a trip to Anchor Down RV resort in Tennessee this June. If the Ram does well I think shes a keeper. Otherwise will be taking a long hard look at the Ford again. I do really like the 48 gallon tank option for the long beds. The styling is still growing on me yet on these new superduties. Sometimes they look good other times I throw up a little in my mouth. LOL Ford stepped it up thats for sure.

Also the 87 or 89 octane thing is just for "best performance" Same way Ford does for the 5.0l and ecoboost.

The special oil is not really expensive. It can be found pretty reasonable at places mostly Amazon. I run the Amsoil. Oil change for around 80 bucks. Factory interval for oil change is 10k miles or 12 months. So once a year aint bad. I only put 5k a year on.

rvpuller 03-16-2017 08:34 PM

Also the 87 or 89 octane thing is just for "best performance" Same way Ford does for the 5.0l and ecoboost.

We aren't talking about the 5.0 or the ecoboost because they aren't offered in the SD. I want a motor with no special fuel to get max preformace, that means regular gas, no DEF and no additives or special oil. I can get Motocraft off self at Wal-Mart along with the filter.

Denny

Bugzilla46310 03-16-2017 09:08 PM

Due to a lemon on another Dodge and the two years to win the lawsuit after Dodge admitted in writing the first time we took the vehicle in that it had a problem they could not fix, I will never own another Dodge, Ram or whatever they call themselves today. That being said the Ram hood ornament is better than Ford's.

RainDesert 03-17-2017 12:11 AM

Great responses' fellas. In my fairly short term research, the hemi seems to do better in the mpg department, at least on the hwy. The wrist pin issue seems to be resolved since the 2015 MY. I joined "RamForum" to track 6.4 info and the site seems to be fine.
The Ram tranny is geared a little taller than the Ford, and they don't offer 4.30's, so I'm not surprised when I read about performance issues.
I do know my local diesel performance and tranny shop still tells me today if I want a diesel get the cummins, and the tranny they see the least problems with is the Ram.:confused:

82_F100_300Six 03-17-2017 06:08 AM

*BREAKING NEWS*
RD'S HEADED TO THE DARK SIDE!!!!!

mopar madness claims another

​​​​​​