Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   66 F100 weird rear suspension? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1477765-66-f100-weird-rear-suspension.html)

66 Old Red 02-24-2017 09:42 PM

66 F100 weird rear suspension?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello again FTE,

I am planning on doing the DJM 3/4 lowering kit on my 66. However, I seem to have a rear suspension setup that seems different from anything I can find on the world wide web. In the rear I have a leaf spring, gas shock, and a short coil spring. I am trying to figure out how this will effect my plans for lowering kit. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks see pic
:-drink

Bostonbob 02-24-2017 09:54 PM

overload spring set up from the 70s , early 80s

EricJ 02-25-2017 05:49 AM

You can eliminate the helper coil, and rebuild or replace the leafs if they aren't strong enough..

tinman52 02-25-2017 09:29 AM

Removing those helper coils will likely lower it a bit, and removing the thick over load leaf at the bottom of the spring pack will lower it some more and soften up the ride. You might need shorter shocks depending on how much you lower it.

1972RedNeck 02-25-2017 09:44 AM

About a month ago my brother installed some homemade coil helpers like that on his '04 F350. The stock leaves were a bit weak for some of the loads we carry and they were rough as well. After installing the coils, it rides WAY better in the back and carries a load a bit better as well.

66 Old Red 02-25-2017 02:27 PM

If I were to just get rid of the helper springs and replace with bigger leaf springs, how many leafs would I want? Looks like my choices from LMC are 7,8, or 9. Keeping in mind this is becoming a street cruiser, not going to be hauling any heavy loads.

1972RedNeck 02-25-2017 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 66 Old Red (Post 16982718)
If I were to just get rid of the helper springs and replace with bigger leaf springs, how many leafs would I want? Looks like my choices from LMC are 7,8, or 9. Keeping in mind this is becoming a street cruiser, not going to be hauling any heavy loads.

Personally, I would just start by pulling a leaf or two. Coils tend to ride better than leaves...

Roger Carter 02-25-2017 06:20 PM

Hello, and welcome to the site. :-wink Nice looking truck, by the way.

I see from your profile you are in Oregon. There are a couple good spring shops in Portland that can work with you and build what you need / want. Prices are surprisingly reasonable.

I would remove the helper coils and see where your truck sits. Then I would look into changing things.
Sometimes old worn springs can give you the ride height you are after.

Good luck.

g4g2g7 02-25-2017 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Roger Carter (Post 16983156)
Hello, and welcome to the site. :-wink Nice looking truck, by the way.

I see from your profile you are in Oregon. There are a couple good spring shops in Portland that can work with you and build what you need / want. Prices are surprisingly reasonable.

I would remove the helper coils and see where your truck sits. Then I would look into changing things.
Sometimes old worn springs can give you the ride height you are after.

Good luck.

^^^ what he said. The coils aren't factory, somebody added them, either because they were hauling heavy stuff or wanted a slight increase in rear ride height. So, remove the coils to go back to factory equipment (realizing there's an add on leaf there too) and see if you like it. If you're going to install the djm rear drop, don't mess with the leaves until you get the kit installed and see if you need to adjust the ride or height.