Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   1994 Ford 4.9 Fixing Gaskets (Oil pan, pushrod cover, valve cover, etc) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1476750-1994-ford-4-9-fixing-gaskets-oil-pan-pushrod-cover-valve-cover-etc.html)

LowcountryF150 02-19-2017 10:39 AM

1994 Ford 4.9 Fixing Gaskets (Oil pan, pushrod cover, valve cover, etc)

Hey what's up everyone, so if you saw my previous thread you'll see that I still have a lot to learn about this 1994 Ford 4.9 I bought a couple of days ago. I really like this truck and I intend to use it as my daily driver and for landscaping that I do on the side. One thing that concerns me is there's oil all on top of the valve cover so I'm hoping it's not blow by or something serious. I'm going to start by replacing the valve cover gasket, pushrod cover gasket, oil pan gasket, upper intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, PCV valve, crankcase breather, grommets for breather and PCV valve, and since I'm doing the oil pan gasket I'm going to replace the oil pump and oil screen.

Is there anything else I should replace along the way? Injector o rings? I'll post my progress as I go and I'm sure I'll have a few questions.

LowcountryF150 02-19-2017 02:24 PM

I'm pretty sure I removed everything for the upper intake manifold, but I can't get that thing to budge, is there some kind of trick to get it off?

LowcountryF150 02-19-2017 02:56 PM

It seems like it's just sealed insanely well because I removed the 7 bolts along the manifold, removed the egr, removed the bolt from the supporting bracket by the distributor, and of course removed all vacuum lines and any electrical connections. I'm pulling for dear life here standing on the front of the engine and the only thing moving is the entire truck and engine, but the seal/gasket is solid.

sandymane 02-19-2017 03:02 PM

I don't remember the count of the manifold bolts but there is one in the back near the firewall that is hard to see. I removed mine from the bottom with a long extension. Check that out.

LowcountryF150 02-19-2017 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep got that one

sandymane 02-19-2017 03:17 PM

If you are sure you have them all out I would use a rubber mallet around the intake where it seals to the exhaust or a plastic hammer. Shock it.

fifty-two_f1 02-19-2017 03:18 PM

Getting the oil pan off is fun. I had to unbolt my motor mounts and lift it some

sandymane 02-19-2017 03:30 PM

I just looked at mine and the bolt is between the firewall and the last vein on the intake. Mine unscrews from the bottom and is easier to get to from underneath with an extension. That one would make six on mine. You can't get a camera in there for a pic.

LowcountryF150 02-19-2017 03:39 PM

Wow yeah I'm definitely a beginner here. I only took the nut off of the two studs holding that bracket so I removed that and tapped around with the rubber mallet and it came loose, thanks

sandymane 02-19-2017 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by fifty-two_f1 (Post 16964823)
Getting the oil pan off is fun. I had to unbolt my motor mounts and lift it some

That helps with the removal and my mounts were trash with 148K. Very good time to replace them.

LowcountryF150 02-19-2017 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by fifty-two_f1 (Post 16964823)

Yeah that's going to be a task right there, what about the transmission? Did you have to unbolt anything for that when you raised the engine or is it ok to leave that alone?

LowcountryF150 02-19-2017 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by sandymane (Post 16964889)
That helps with the removal and my mounts were trash with 148K. Very good time to replace them.

Good idea, I'll go ahead and replace those as well

fifty-two_f1 02-19-2017 05:28 PM

I didn't unbolt anything Transmission related.

animator 02-19-2017 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by LowcountryF150 (Post 16964897)
Yeah that's going to be a task right there, what about the transmission? Did you have to unbolt anything for that when you raised the engine or is it ok to leave that alone?

Loosen or remove the two nuts that secure the transmission it to the crossmember. It also helps to remove your fan shroud.

Raise the engine until it won't go any further, then remove the mounts and put some wood blocks in their place to let the engine rest on while the pan is off.

LowcountryF150 02-20-2017 01:58 PM

Ok thanks, was able to get off a little early today and just took off the valve cover. I noticed the last 2 rockers look like they aren't getting enough oil or something because the oil is kind of baked compared to the others. Those are the ones under the PCV valve at the rear. Also under the valve cover right above them there's a lot of baked on oil and that's the only spot on the valve cover that looks like that.

Does anyone know why this could be?

The PCV valve does rattle and the grommet looks good, but I'm going to replace all of that along with the breather as well.