Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   C/E Light on. Purge Canister Solenoid Code (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1476075-c-e-light-on-purge-canister-solenoid-code.html)

MonroeHandyMan 02-14-2017 09:21 PM

C/E Light on. Purge Canister Solenoid Code

Hey guys,
Been a member here for years. Had a bunch of F250's and a nice F150. Now I have two Broncos. Always had great responses and help from this site.
I just bought a 96 Bronco xlt 5.0 last week. It runs like a champ, is super clean. I searched the forums and didn't find what I was looking for...

I have two issues though:

1. One simple one is the o/d light is blinking and shuts off as I drive. No tranny issues at all, shifts nice.

2. I have a Check Engine light on. I pulled the code and only got one. It was a Purge code. I went to Ford and bought a new gas cap hoping it might be that. It wasn't as I reset and it came back on after maybe 4 miles. I bought the new black plastic purge solenoid canister for $90 from Advanced Auto, changed it out and found one small hard vacuum line going to the bottom of it was broken, so I fixed that and put the new purge canister solenoid on. I pulled the positive cable off the battery to reset the computer. I drove to Tractor supply which is about 5 miles from my house, shut the truck off, came back out, turned the truck on and the light came back. I need help with this one. I want to get the truck inspected as a I have a 10 day temp tag for inspection. This is the only code the truck comes up with.
Thanks in advance,
Anthony

MonroeHandyMan 02-16-2017 06:55 AM

I pulled the codes again and got a p0443 evaporative emission system purge control valve circuit and I got a p1351 ignition diagnostic monitor input circuit.
I tried changing out the purge solenoid and the check engine light came on about 10 min after I cleared it. I am going to swap out my egr valve today to see if that's the culprit as mine looks like its rusted pretty bad.

rla2005 02-23-2017 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by MonroeHandyMan (Post 16955775)
I pulled the codes again and got a p0443 evaporative emission system purge control valve circuit

I have seen this before. Sometimes you may get weird transmission issues too. If you did replace the Vapor Management Valve (VMV) and still get the same error I suggest you trace the wires to ensure there are no open circuits back to the computer. If that checks out then it's usually a bad computer (PCM). I have run across about a half dozen of these scenarios over the last 5-6 years on this vintage F150/Bronco.

Just to be clear the 1996 F150/Bronco uses a Vapor Management Valve to control fuel vapors. It's not the same as the older Canister Purge (CANP) solenoid.

and I got a p1351 ignition diagnostic monitor input circuit.

What color Ignition Control Module (ICM) do you have on the truck? Black or Gray.

I tried changing out the purge solenoid and the check engine light came on about 10 min after I cleared it. I am going to swap out my egr valve today to see if that's the culprit as mine looks like its rusted pretty bad.

Why? none of those codes indicate an EGR issue.