Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Hardware?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1475751-hardware.html)

Jimmiej08 02-12-2017 08:24 PM

Hardware??

Is it worth the money to buy a complete stainless bolt kit for $360 kit includes all interior and exterior or just buy grade 8 bolts for my 51 Ford f1

Thanks
Jimmie

raytasch 02-12-2017 08:32 PM

I would go to my local tractor supply or hardware store that sells graded bolts by the pound and buy what I needed. For sheet metal, gr5 is more than adequate and will hold up better than what was used originally. Short answer, for a driver, the cost of all those SS bolts is hard to justify.

F1 coyote 02-13-2017 03:36 AM

Fastenal keeps a real good selection as well. All grades, steel, aluminium and stainless.

bjmayberry2 02-13-2017 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by F1 coyote (Post 16947111)
Fastenal keeps a real good selection as well. All grades, steel, aluminium and stainless.

Fastenal will also order anything they have in their catalog saving on shipping.

CharlieLed 02-13-2017 10:13 AM

I have found that wherever there is an airport there is also at least one really nice hardware supplier. There is an Ababa Bolt close to me and they carry everything in the way of nuts and bolts and washers. Great place, I spend a ton of cash there every year. That said, you have to be willing to buy a "box" when you may only need a couple but if you have a hardware bin then the extras are always on hand for future project work. Hardware kits are nice if you are a "one and done" kinda guy, but most of us are in it for the long haul...your decision.

Jafo56 02-13-2017 10:37 AM

I have done 3 trucks a 51and two56's all in stainless......I did a 76 bronco all in grade 8 hardware....now I'm getting ready to assemble a 49 f-4 probably in grade 8...... I live in farm country so most hardware stores or tractor supply sell the hardware by the pound so I buy as I need it.... it's not really that high buying it by the pound....... you can go even cheaper and by grade 5 for body assembly.........just my opinion

pweng1 02-13-2017 12:22 PM

Like the others on here i'm a firm believer in keeping stock on hand.The time and money you spend running out to buy what you need over the years costs lots of money in gas and inconvenience. I buy from online that has free shipping and when i know most sizes of the current project i order 100 of each.
A good $300 inventory will save you in the long run.

petemcl 02-15-2017 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmiej08 (Post 16946595)
Is it worth the money to buy a complete stainless bolt kit for $360 kit includes all interior and exterior or just buy grade 8 bolts for my 51 Ford f1

Thanks
Jimmie

SS bolts will keep your truck looking good after a couple years of use. It also makes it easy to make changes or repairs providing you use anti-seize compound on each fastener. I made that mistake and had to cut off several SS bolts. I still have a few on the rear fenders that I hope I never have to remove.

The kit makes it easier in that you have all the right bolt sizes for each location. SS just is a matter of pride in a job done better . . . but if you have some budget constraints then standard plated fasteners will be just fine.