Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   m5r2 4x4 + bw1356 t case questions and concerns need help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1474463-m5r2-4x4-bw1356-t-case-questions-and-concerns-need-help.html)

brandonf150 02-04-2017 09:26 PM

m5r2 4x4 + bw1356 t case questions and concerns need help

okay so last night i went and picked up a m5r2 trans with a bw1356 t case and it was late and dark and i just made a long road trip to get it case there was none nearby. so i had not too bad of time and all until i tried in the daylight today to see about if the output shaft was spinning when i spun the input shft. hard to tell if it is in gear when trying cause no shifter and its hard to move a 2 inch piece of metal that meshes with gears with my fingers and things arent looking good for me.. also noticed it seems like the chain is out of the t case cause it is spinning free in every drive position on the t case. weather it was in gear or not. did i just buy a leftover pos or am i going nuts? :-roll:-roll

Lead Head 02-08-2017 08:22 PM

Well if the transmission snifter is neutral, everything is going to spin freely.

In 4WD, the output shaft and the front yoke should be locked together, but will still spin freely if the transmission is in neutral .

brandonf150 02-16-2017 09:47 PM

i had time the other day to seperate the t case and transmission and found out the t case wasnt enguaging anything cause it was wore out on the shifter so its getting a full rebuild and then will be installed with the transmission which is showing nothing but signs of working properly thanks though.

GoinBoarding 02-17-2017 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by brandonf150 (Post 16958142)
i had time the other day to seperate the t case and transmission and found out the t case wasnt enguaging anything cause it was wore out on the shifter so its getting a full rebuild and then will be installed with the transmission which is showing nothing but signs of working properly thanks though.

Good news is the T case is really easy to work on. Split it open and see what's broken. The shift forks are known weak points, and so is the oil pump retainer. New forks and oil pump for sure while you have it apart, the rest is a case by case call. Google search "BW1356 oil pump retainer mod" for ideas on how to make it last longer than typical.

brandonf150 02-17-2017 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by GoinBoarding (Post 16958441)
Good news is the T case is really easy to work on. Split it open and see what's broken. The shift forks are known weak points, and so is the oil pump retainer. New forks and oil pump for sure while you have it apart, the rest is a case by case call. Google search "BW1356 oil pump retainer mod" for ideas on how to make it last longer than typical.

I've got it rebuilt now. New chain, and new bearings and seals. And all is good just have to mount the t case and tranny together and measure it to see how much I need to cut off my driveshaft and have it balanced to finish installation to put my truck on the road

GoinBoarding 02-17-2017 01:03 PM

That was fast, good deal.