Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Regen question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1467431-regen-question.html)

rhrs2414 12-20-2016 06:34 PM

Regen question

Hey guys. Got a quick..... or so I hope it is quick question. Truck is a 13 f350 drw around 75k miles. I've questioned the mpg's since I bought it. I'm averaging 11.6 on "my" life time mileage. About 4500 miles. I just ran a 140mile trip on the interstate. Approx 65mph. And I got 12.5 mpg. I ran a 180 mile trip about 2 months ago and saw 14mpg. The truck is leveled. Sitting on 35'some ( which measure to 33's). Been on it since I bought it. But the past two days it smells like it usually does when it's in regen. According to my tablet and obdII regen is off. And I'm about to start one soon at 90% soot. And 275 miles since the last regen. But my mileage seems to be getting worse. Any ideas from you guys on what I may have going on? Or just nature of the beast?

F350-6 12-20-2016 07:37 PM

I afraid the beast kinda sucks in the MPG department. Since you have some comments on tire size, it sounds like they may not be factory.

If you're using the computer to calculate your MPG's, how do the gallons used compare to the gallons put in at fill up? If those are off due to different size tires or any other reason, MPG's will be different than what the screen shows.

For better mileage you should only travel down hill at 60 mph with the cruise control on. At least that's been my experience once you factor in the regens. Resetting the meter while on the freeway with the cruise on can get you some decent MPG readings until the regen kicks in.

rhrs2414 12-20-2016 07:40 PM

The gallons used vs what I fill up is almost dead on! Maybe it's the cold here now? Likes the heat better? Idk, but I've definitely seen a drop over the last two fill ups.

F350-6 12-20-2016 07:44 PM

If they switch to winter fuel there, than that could have an impact. So could extended warm up times like I use now so I don't freeze when I get in.

rhrs2414 12-20-2016 07:49 PM

Yea I've been idling a good bit in the mornings. The milage Imy showing now was 12.5 after a 5 mile trip to the interstate though. Then straight back home with no idling in between. I was wondering about winter fuel. I'm in SC so don't really know if we get different fuel here or not. About the coldest we see is low 20'speed upper teens at night. Rarely go a full 24-48 hours below freezing

rhrs2414 12-20-2016 07:58 PM

Could running stanadyne (blue? Performance for winter antigel have anything on do with it? The trip I took in the summer and saw my best mpgs yet I ran another stanadyne. I believe a purple bottle but not positive it was very humid and about 90 degrees. Running about 60-65 I saw about 16mpg till the regen kicked in.

bigredtruckmi 12-20-2016 08:32 PM

Idling kills mpg and so does red lights. What rear end do you have? We get around 15.5 with 4:30 rear end and doing errands.
We are 10 deg.

rhrs2414 12-20-2016 08:43 PM

I'm running a 3.73 I'm almost positive. I hate saying it that way, but I've been working so much I haven't really looked over it and learned it the way I should have. And like I said. I'm leveled and 35's which measure at 33's. And most of my day to day is about 5 miles both ways. So about the time I'm getting to work/home I'm just getting warmed up

4df150 12-20-2016 10:10 PM

To get the best mpg in cold weather the trans oil temp will need to get up to op temp. With your short trips it ain't happening....

bobv60 12-20-2016 11:33 PM

Has the speedometer and ODO been recalibrate for the larger tires?
my 11 F450 with stock tire and 430 gears gets me about 15 mpg mostly hwy NOT towing or hauling.

bobv60 12-20-2016 11:36 PM

You can find what gears your truck has, and all the other options by entering your vin here
https://www.etis.ford.com
hake sure you click more on the right side of the screen to get ALL the options

Dakster 12-21-2016 12:33 AM

Welcome to my world. Getting 12.9 in the winter up here and I don't have to idle to warm her up as she has a nice place inside at night.

In the "warmer" months I was almost up to 15 mpg. Winter fuel and cold temps take their toll on mileage. I say warmer, because there isn't "summer" where I live. Some areas of the state get hot (like close to +100F) but Anchorage has really mild summers. A few weeks of highs in the 70s and lows in the 60s and then it's all colder from that point on.

rhrs2414 12-21-2016 08:05 AM

Yea I've been to one of the links from FTEAND entered the Vin # a lot of sites come back with two or three options. This one came back just saying 3.73. And I do believe the speedo has been calibrated. Maybe too much. When my speedo says I'm running 45mph my tablet or GPS says I'm only running about 42.5 or 43mph. . I'm still kinda curious why my exhaust smells sweet like it does when in regen. This summer I couldn't hardly smell anything standing at the back of the truck. And definitely not in the cab. In some ways, I can't wait till warranty is out!

senix 12-21-2016 09:20 AM

sweet smell maybe a coolant leak.

rhrs2414 12-21-2016 09:24 AM

Yes, it does have a very small coolant leak that I only smell once in a while. Maybe sweet smell wasn't the correct way to word it. I've stopped at a gas station before while regeneration was going on, shut the truck off and there's definitely a distinct smell at the rear of the truck. To me anyways. That's what I'm smelling now most of the time and now even smelling it in the cab. This smell isn't antifreeze. But like I said. On my torque pro app it's not showing I'm in regen