Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Transmission issue, now no start? Help! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1467088-transmission-issue-now-no-start-help.html)

Mark Kovalsky 01-28-2017 09:09 PM

The connector is on the passenger's side of the transmission. It is the only electrical connector on the passenger's side. There isn't another connector near it.

SUPERDUTY_08 01-29-2017 03:32 PM

So I tried the same thing as last time. Left batteries disconnected overnight. Went I went to try it this morning, I had the gear shift indicator light back on the dash, but it seemed like there wasn't enough battery power to start it. So I went to try jumping it, but the gear shift indicator light was off again, and went that's out, there is no attempt at cranking. I pulled the wiring harness off the transmission and cleaned that. That seemed ok. Not sure where that wiring goes, but I didn't have time to follow it. I left the batteries discoed again for a few hours, and when I hooked them back up, the light was on for only a moment. I never got to try starting the truck. I even cleaned all the battery terminals to make sure that wasn't a problem. Unless of course the problem is on the other end of the cables. So once again, the negative terminals are disconnected and I sit inside waiting. I will be borrowing a code scanner again, just waiting for it to get dropped off. But I doubt I will get any reading now. Just hoping for something if the gear shift light is still off. This is annoying.

Mark Kovalsky 01-29-2017 04:06 PM

There are no codes now. Disconnecting the batteries cleared them. Too bad, they would have really helped diagnose this.

SUPERDUTY_08 01-29-2017 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 16908160)
There are no codes now. Disconnecting the batteries cleared them. Too bad, they would have really helped diagnose this.

you are correct. No active codes showing, but did get this pending code. Any idea what it means? https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...2b4bc96dbc.jpg

DieselDenny 01-29-2017 08:05 PM

No problems until the car wash eh.

Thinking Doc Holiday will be along. In my eyes it's a trace your connections from start to finish.

I can't conceive an internal problem from your description.

Standing by,

Denny

SUPERDUTY_08 01-29-2017 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDenny (Post 16908783)
No problems until the car wash eh.

Thinking Doc Holiday will be along. In my eyes it's a trace your connections from start to finish.

I can't conceive an internal problem from your description.

Standing by,

Denny

I agree it's a moisture related issues. The first time it happened in December , it was the day after a big snow storm. This time it was a mile after leaving the car wash. I assume that the problem will be in a harness or wire loom somewhere from the transmission up to the fuse box. Just finding it is the trick.

DieselDenny 01-29-2017 09:30 PM

I hear you. This year rig is relatively new to me, since Junish.

I just replaced an egt probe that solved my problem but cost 7 months sleep and only a few bucks.

I think your quarrel would be painstaking to start from the trans and follow that baby all the way up to the next connection under the cab.

Ever been to a strip bar. Pretty sure you'll find it before you get to the cab! If you don't, you'll just get thrown out anyway!

This shouldn't cost you a bunch of dollar bills. Just be meticulous and I sure would revisit the trans connection to make sure it is indeed up to par.

Regards.

SUPERDUTY_08 01-30-2017 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by DieselDenny (Post 16909061)
I think your quarrel would be painstaking to start from the trans and follow that baby all the way up to the next connection under the cab.
Pretty sure you'll find it before you get to the cab!
This shouldn't cost you a bunch of dollar bills. Just be meticulous and I sure would revisit the trans connection to make sure it is indeed up to par.

Regards.

that is what I am hoping. I have done some more online research, it seems I am not the first to have this issue. I found that the TCM is located at the driver side frame rail, about half way of the transmission. Some have found that connection to be bad, or the TCM itself. Others have found another connection by the transfer case had come loose. Others it was a blown fuse. It also seems that when the TCM looses communication, the transmission goes into a fail safe mode. And keeps the transmission in 5th gear, and also allows for reverse.
seeing as this time it happened after high pressure water jets werected being sprayed at the undercarriage. I am more to suspect that either something got knocked loose. But it could also be a frayed wire. I will let you all know what I find, whether it's from my hands or a mechanics.

SUPERDUTY_08 01-31-2017 01:39 PM

Off tof the garage.

Well I barely got it started tonight, but it started. It didn't take long for the problem to come back. But I got it to my local mechanic before they went home, and they were able to see the problem. It also helped being able to talk with them about what I have done/found. Hopefully I will have some good less expensive news tomorrow.

DieselDenny 01-31-2017 09:08 PM

Praying and learning!!! Good Luck 08 !!!

Denny

SUPERDUTY_08 02-03-2017 02:18 PM

Mechanic found a hairline Crack in the tcm housing. Nobody has one in Stock, so it needs to be ordered. Delivery is looking to be a week or so for the TCM. But the good news is, the truck has been running fine for them. Local dealer said they have replaced 3 in the last year. They also said that the closest one in stock was in Florida, I am in Massachusetts.

Copper.Farm 02-03-2017 02:27 PM

I'm learning a ton from this thread - thanks.

DieselDenny 02-03-2017 03:01 PM

Damn good find!!!

Glad you can sleep, I couldn't!!!

SUPERDUTY_08 02-03-2017 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDenny (Post 16922078)
Damn good find!!!

Glad you can sleep, I couldn't!!!

apparently this part has had many updates since my trucks production. They said there was a list updated part numbers. hopefully the new one hold up

SUPERDUTY_08 03-03-2017 09:00 PM

Update

Well the TCM finally came in a week ago, and it was replaced last Friday. I saw the old tcm and the cracks in the corner by the mounting tab. I wanted to post a picture, but you couldn't really tell the cracks. But I am just happy to have that taken care of.