Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   94 f250 7.3 turbo pre power stroke will not start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1466395-94-f250-7-3-turbo-pre-power-stroke-will-not-start.html)

jlhpaint 12-13-2016 12:37 PM

94 f250 7.3 turbo pre power stroke will not start

my daughter's truck engine heater is not working and the truck ran fine until it dropped to an over night of 0 degrees. Replaced glow plug relay ordered new heater but put a block heater with a blanket over the engine still nothing. Drained batteries trying so had to charge them took all night to charge one got the other one charged but still nothing any ideas what to check? No gelling in fuel but husband put some 911 in the filter bowl.
:-huh

Ford_Six 12-13-2016 09:07 PM

Does it have a plastic shroud over the top of the engine with the fuel filter bowl sitting under it in the center, or does it have an injection pump with lines going to the injectors visible? The former is actually a Powerstroke, the latter an IDI.
The diagnostic processes are a little different for them, but if it's an IDI and the glow plug relay is clicking within a few seconds of turning the key on, it has bad glowplugs. Use ONLY Motorcraft Beru ZD9 plugs, Autolites will swell and burn out in about two uses, and then it takes a lot of time to remove them if they don't break off. Then it takes longer. The one under the turbo is a pain to get to. If the wait to start light is staying on for at least ten seconds, and then the relay starts clicking, that's proper operation and the problem may be air intrusion. If the filter wasn't full when it was taken off, then either the return lines are leaking and letting air in, or the lift pump may be dead. Either way will result in hard starting.
If it's a Powerstroke, check the output terminal of the glow plug relay under the shroud with a test light. It should come on less than a second after the key is turned on. Also check the oil. Those engines use oil to fire the injectors, and dirty or incorrect oil can cause some big running issues. This time of year I would recommend Delo 10w30, or 5w40 synthetic. If the oil is not full and relatively clean (regular diesel black is fine, thick black and chunky is not) then fill or change it.

speedwrench72 12-13-2016 11:52 PM

check the connections at the block heater it plugs in with two pins they can get corroded a new cord can be purchased if it is damaged, they sell magnetic block heaters that stick to the pan. also keep the battery charger on for the whole weekend, and every night if she drives short distances. also cycle the glows several times, then hold your foot to the floor when attempting to start the engine in 0 degree weather.

jlhpaint 12-14-2016 10:26 AM

glow plug relay

The relay only clicks once and yes it has a turbo flap over the fuel filter.

Ford_Six 12-14-2016 09:45 PM

Ok, that is actually a Powerstroke.

jlhpaint 12-15-2016 01:19 PM

We were told by Ford it was not it is called a Turbo Diesel

user_zero 12-15-2016 06:15 PM

Both engines are a turbo diesel, the power stroke is a newer turbo diesel they started putting in the trucks as opposed to the previous generation engine, the international indirect injection turbo diesel. You have the newer powerstroke turbo diesel engine.

Realslowww 12-15-2016 06:42 PM

Don't the PS generally start better in cold because they are direct injection ?

Ford_Six 12-15-2016 11:23 PM

Yes and no. They are lower compression. The Super Duty ones start better than the OBS ones for whatever reason.
In pure Ford terminology, it is a "direct injected turbo" engine, the Powerstroke name did not start until late 95. For all intents and purposes it is a Powerstroke, though. There is a 94 specific computer, and tuners are hit or miss with them, but otherwise it is a Powerstroke. It's nice that my cheap bluetooth scanner will talk to them too, they have a regular OBDII port.

Realslowww 12-16-2016 10:12 AM

tHANKS DO YOU LIKE THECOMPUTER STUFF ?, I have a good mechanic working on my stuff now and he loves the computer stuff but he has been trained in it for 30 years. He claims once you understand it it is way better overall.

Again thanks....

Ford_Six 12-16-2016 11:35 PM

They have their place. They are capable of more power, have better driveability but cost more to fix and can be finicky as well.
I generally prefer the IDI for it's simplicity and tolerance of less than ideal conditions. It is much cheaper to build and buy as well, I can build a pretty hot IDI even if I have to sleeve it for way less than a PSD.

Realslowww 12-17-2016 09:16 AM

What is I hear about the blocks having problems hold HP and is the T model a better block by a lot or just a little ?

Macrobb 12-17-2016 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Realslowww (Post 16799331)
What is I hear about the blocks having problems hold HP and is the T model a better block by a lot or just a little ?

Depends on the HP level, that's for sure.

Turbo IDI blocks have stronger connecting rods than NA, and Powerstroke engines have even stronger connecting rods than that.
One interesting thing is that the lengths of all three connecting rods are identical; the only difference(IIRC) is that the IDIT and Powerstroke rods have a larger pin diameter compared to the NA IDI.
A Powerstroke rod is also slightly wider at the crank than the IDI/IDIT rods are, and need to be machined to fit an IDI.

Still, a non-turbo IDI connecting rod can handle 350 HP at the wheels... but there aren't many data points for that.

Powerstrokes, people have gotten a LOT of HP out of, with appropriate parts.
Remember, though, the Powerstroke is only 18.5:1 compression, vs the 21.5:1 for the IDIs.

Ford_Six 12-17-2016 11:28 PM

21.5:1 for the Ford IDIs, except 83 6.9s were 20.7:1

jlhpaint 12-26-2016 09:14 PM

new problem- engine warms and defroster blows warm air but radiator never gets warm. Thermostat changed a year ago. Temperature gauge reads zero. Is any of this elctronic or chip controlled?