Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Push gas pedal and nothing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1466064-push-gas-pedal-and-nothing.html)

thbowen 12-11-2016 06:59 AM

Push gas pedal and nothing

Recently I have had an issue several times where I will start the truck and it starts and run fine but when I go to push the gas pedal nothing happens. It seems like if I move the gearshift back and forth from D to R to P or once it warms up I dont have any issues. Any Ideas??

guitarpicr 12-11-2016 11:22 AM

Could the linkage to the trans be loose ?

pirschwagon 12-11-2016 01:12 PM

The Transmission Selector is independent of the AP.

Check or a defective IVS, TPS, or wiring and connections.

A Scantool will allow you to view the PERDELS for these.

truckeemtnfords 12-11-2016 01:16 PM

If you push on the GAS pedal your in the wrong forum. Sorry could not resist.

You say nothing happens, are you referring to the engine or trans? If you are talking about the trans I would say to check your fluid level. If the level is low you wont get proper trans operation, as the fluid warms it expands and then you would have enough fluid for operation. So check the simple things first.

pirschwagon 12-11-2016 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords (Post 16785109)

You say nothing happens, are you referring to the engine or trans? If you are talking about the trans I would say to check your fluid level. If the level is low you wont get proper trans operation, as the fluid warms it expands and then you would have enough fluid for operation. So check the simple things first.

Ah!

Just re-read the OP. Perhaps the Adjusted Plate under the Dash is loose?

thbowen 12-13-2016 10:56 AM

Let me clarify...when the problem happens and I push on the accelerator and the engine rpm does not go up. Nothing is wrong on the transmission side

thbowen 12-13-2016 10:58 AM

OK OK how about the accelerator pedal?

Dan V 12-13-2016 11:27 AM

Mine will do that when it's severely cold out. But it recovers in maybe 30-60 seconds.

brian42 12-13-2016 12:40 PM

Could be the pedal assembly. It's drive-by-wire so there's a resistor on the top of the pedal assembly. I've read of these wearing out over time. If you have non-adjustable pedals you can replace that assembly but if you have the adjustable pedals you have to buy the whole pedal assembly (which is expensive).

Not saying that's your problem but it's something to consider.

oldboots1950 12-15-2016 11:48 PM

TPS

Originally Posted by thbowen (Post 16784291)
Recently I have had an issue several times where I will start the truck and it starts and run fine but when I go to push the gas pedal nothing happens. It seems like if I move the gearshift back and forth from D to R to P or once it warms up I dont have any issues. Any Ideas??

Get a can of computer air, blow out TPS under dash. Dust collects on TPS and it fails. Try that and if it clears it up you will be best to put in a new Ford brand assembly.