Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   Anyone have pics of Cabin Air Filter? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/146549-anyone-have-pics-of-cabin-air-filter.html)

aldridgec 08-25-2003 07:09 PM

Anyone have pics of Cabin Air Filter?

Breaking off a new topic on an old thread.

The cover for the cabin air filter housing is discontinued as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have pictures of a truck with an actual CAF?

I am contemplating making a replica cover, or trying to scavenge for one.

njxlt 08-25-2003 07:20 PM

I was asking if this is it? Does anyone know if this is cabin air for sure?This is directly under the glove box!

http://mysite.verizon.net/a.coletta/images/cabinair.jpg

aldridgec 08-25-2003 08:56 PM

I'm pretty sure I replied to this, and it IS where the filter goes.

I was going to delete this post, but I couldn't. After doing a search I realized this question is asked a lot. And since the parts are discontinued its unlikely that many trucks were equipped with the option.

Even though the parts store stocked the filter cartridge so it can't be that uncommon.

I was trying to find someone who actually had the option installed.

RoadArmor 08-28-2003 03:26 PM

Can either of you guys tell me extactly where the intake is?? I have a 1998 and I can't tell exactly where cabin intake air is being sucked in?? I took off the lower trim plastic and just could'nt tell where it's being sucked or recirculated in.
Thanks!

MrBSS 08-28-2003 05:21 PM

I added the cabin filter to my truck. The kit does seem to be discontinued; I was lucky to find one in old stock.

The kit involves cutting out a section of the existing duct and adding mounting brackets and a cover. It includes an aluminum guide template which is temporarily mounted and then you cut the duct with a razor knife. You remove the template and screw the brackets in place. The filter itself slides between the brackets and up into the housing which is already slotted to accomodate it. Last, you screw the cover onto the brackets to hold the filter up and seal the duct. I suspect they discontinued it as a dealer installed option because it really is pretty difficult even with the template, because you're working upside down and in tight quarters. As you probably know, the filters are easily available, but fairly expensive. I guess these are still available from the factory, at least on Navigators.

If anybody would want the instructions and/or the template, I would provide them in return for a contribution to my expenses. (Sorry, I can't afford to spend much time on this for free). I think you could slide a filter up and fabricate a cover without too much difficulty, once the proper slot was opened.

Brian

RoadArmor 08-28-2003 05:28 PM

Originally posted by MrBSS

If anybody would want the instructions and/or the template, I would provide them in return for a contribution to my expenses. (Sorry, I can't afford to spend much time on this for free). I think you could slide a filter up and fabricate a cover without too much difficulty, once the proper slot was opened.

Brian
For the love of the board(and because I'm a little short on contributions) can you take a picture of this setup so we could all see it.
Thanks,
Chris

aldridgec 08-28-2003 09:55 PM

How its supposed to work is obvious. But how it really looks is not.

THe problem with fabricating a cover is the screw bosses are not flat, and seems it wouldn't be a simple flat plate with the appropriate holes in it.

The cutout on mine wouldn't seem like it would need a template to make the cut, but I guess I was wrong.

A simple picture would be a big help to this ongoing discussion.

What kind of compensation are you desiring? We all contribute to this board and this is a rather hot topic. A picture shouldn't be that difficult.

Chris A

MrBSS 08-29-2003 09:26 AM

Yeah, the mounting brackets are formed so as to connect to the screw bosses and provide a flat mount for the cover. Probably could cut similar mountings out of wood if you are good as a model maker or finishing carpenter.

I do have a digital camera, but haven't tried to post any of the pictures. I'm sort of struggling with my sales these days, so its hard to justify spending time for free. Sorry!

I was thinking maybe $5 for the instructions and $5 plus deposit for the template. Got to get to work now!

jimmerbimmer 04-10-2006 11:18 AM

Did this guy ever get his $10? I hope not.

Big Craig 04-10-2006 08:12 PM

I think it's time for MrBS to get tossed.

amm888 04-11-2006 11:02 AM

the real question is - will some thin little dinky filter really make any major difference in one's air quality and be even remotely worth the hassle (and apparent payoff) of trying to fab one up and jamb it in there?

Parts Guy Wyatt 04-11-2006 11:09 AM

look for 19N619 that is the filter, F65Z-19B736-AA is the cover and it looks like is still avail.
<br>
Ed
<br>
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...220/19n619.jpg