Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   First Oil Change and only drained 11 qts... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1463423-first-oil-change-and-only-drained-11-qts.html)

06greenstroker 11-22-2016 05:28 PM

First Oil Change and only drained 11 qts...

So I've read where these trucks actually 'make' oil. Maybe I read wrong, but thought I read a couple posts where guys are actually draining more oil during changes than they have put in...some diesel fuel getting in during regen???

Anyhow...just changed my oil for first time since I bought it. Wanted to know I had fresh in it. Supposedly it was changed at the dealer that sold it, as they had a oil change reminder sticker on the windshield for next change 32,000 miles. Truck has 30,500 on it. Well, I only got about 11 qts out of her. Put 13 qts back in. Did it really burn through 2 quarts?!?!? I'm sure some of that is absorbed into the filter...but I can't see 2 qts being absorbed.

I'm hoping the dealership messed up when they changed the oil and didn't put in the recommended 13 qts, but that irritates me as well.

Guess I'll just have to watch it.

djousma 11-22-2016 05:40 PM

The oil filter holds a quart. I know that because I prefill mine with fresh before putting it on. So, I'd say you are pretty close. I doubt you burned any. The 6.7's dont make oil like I hear the 6.4's did.

lynnmor 11-22-2016 08:04 PM

What did it show on the dipstick before you changed it?

Dakster 11-22-2016 11:46 PM

The pan is pretty large, so it take a lot of oil to move the oil up the dipstick- comparing to the exact same spot on the dipstick would also help.

If you are that concerned that you may be burning oil, check the dipstick today and then check it weekly... If the oil is going down the dipstick you might be right. Between the EGR, DPF, SCR if you are burning a little oil you probably won't see it coming out the tailpipe...

06greenstroker 11-23-2016 06:57 AM

I have only owned the truck 1-1/2 weeks. I did not check the oil level with the stick before I changed it, so I don't know what it read. I did put 13 qts in it (did not prefill the filter) and then let it run for a fem minutes, then shut if off, let it settle and checked. Read at max level.

Yes, I am going to keep my eye on this weekly to see.

Thanks.

senix 11-23-2016 08:04 AM

check all your fluids weekly and when on the road, at least do a visual. Pays big dividends.

69cj 11-23-2016 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 06greenstroker (Post 16741923)
I have only owned the truck 1-1/2 weeks. I did not check the oil level with the stick before I changed it, so I don't know what it read. I did put 13 qts in it (did not prefill the filter) and then let it run for a fem minutes, then shut if off, let it settle and checked. Read at max level.

Yes, I am going to keep my eye on this weekly to see.

Thanks.

When ever I have bought a used vehicle, I change all of the fluids and filters, OEM only, so that I have a base line starting point for future maintenance. It also makes me feel better knowing that all of the fluids and filters are the proper ones.

hoseclamp 11-23-2016 11:52 AM

Install a catch can and you'll find the missing oil. These motors can push a lot through the ccv, in turn is burnt and increases regen frequency. I have a can on the shelf I'll be installing soon.

69cj 11-23-2016 05:22 PM

I have to say I've never had missing oil in my 6.7.

Khena 11-23-2016 07:58 PM

Are there any sensors associated with the stock separator that would require a delete prior to a catch can install?

JohnD333 11-23-2016 08:54 PM

If I recall, the diesel manual says get the oil hot, park on a level surface or lift, remove the filter, open the drain, and let them all drip for at least 20 minutes.

If the dipstick said full on a level surface before you first started the engine on the day you started this process, you should have collected a lot more than 11 quarts if you did not spill any. If it was full and all you got out was 11, you are probably overfilled if you put in 13...

Originally Posted by 69cj (Post 16743248)
I have to say I've never had missing oil in my 6.7.

hoseclamp 11-23-2016 09:09 PM

A catch can be used on a stock truck no prob.

06greenstroker 11-23-2016 09:30 PM

The more I thought about this, the more it started to bug me. So, while sitting out in my garage tonight, I was just thinking about this and wondering while staring at the 3 jugs of used oil that I dumped the drained oil in. Just staring at it wondering. Then if hit me like a ton of bricks. I filled the jugs past the 4 qt level. Feel like a dummy now all worked up about this and here I filled the jugs past the 4 qt mark, so when I got to the 3rd jug, only filled to 3 qts.

LOL..if you can't laugh at yourself...then what's life about!

MikeLucas12 03-26-2017 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by hoseclamp (Post 16742609)
Install a catch can and you'll find the missing oil. These motors can push a lot through the ccv, in turn is burnt and increases regen frequency. I have a can on the shelf I'll be installing soon.

which can did you go with? Where can I find them? Thanks and sorry for adding to an older thread lol