Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Second alternator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1462016-second-alternator.html)

carlhwv 11-12-2016 04:25 PM

Second alternator

Has anyone added a second alternator on a truck that came with a single? Any gotchas?

golfmedik 11-12-2016 06:06 PM

This is the only option I wish my truck had. The reason, these things shut down at 11.2 volts if the alternator goes bad. That will not happen with the duals. If I recall correctly, it would require a different wiring harness and of course all the hardware to install, but also has to be reprogrammed.

Just Strokin 11-12-2016 06:28 PM

Here is a Ford Bulletin on how to convert from single to dual alternator. Hope this helps. I think you are going to find it a fairly involved and expensive conversion.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ml/Q-160R1.pdf

carlhwv 11-12-2016 07:47 PM

Thanks Larry.

radium 11-13-2016 08:37 AM

Well I had one installed it gets quite expensive I believe they had to replace a water pump cover I'll have to find the bill plus a different harness. The only reason my dealer did it for me and give me a installation break the first truck I ordered had to be arbitrated which of course I ordered with dual alternators for my plow business. The parts were quite expensive but the labor wasn't that bad but, I could imagine it could be quite expensive if you didn't have my same predicament take care

carlhwv 11-13-2016 01:29 PM

its the Winter and additional lights that I'm thinking about as well. The first cold morning was this past week. I noticed a pretty good load early in the morning running the supplemental heat and just the stock lights till I got warmed up. Not that it will be running with that load for long periods of time, but I can see it is a weak link. This is my next 10year truck and I'm trying to get it how I want right out of the box. I've got a good wrench, and I'm already scheduled for my fuel tank upgrade, so it's a good time if I go that way. There is a reason dual alternators as standard equipment on the 2017s. Just not looking forward to another 1000 upgrade , but I just have to look at my invoice to remind myself that I did get a great deal on this rig.

Dakster 11-13-2016 02:10 PM

Ordered a 2011 from the factory the way I wanted it and was very happy. Found a close to what I wanted on the lot for my 2015 and there are certain things it must have or I am not interested. Dual alts. is one. I am very happy with my 2015 as well. My only changes would have been to have 5th wheel prep, factory spray in liner, and NO Sunroof. I did get options I wouldn't have thought to get, but it came with it and I like those - minor stuff. Wheel well liners, FX4, mud guards...

I was happy with my trade in value and price on the new one as well and what I am "missing" all it takes is money to add. Just like if I had gotten a short bed I would almost have to add either an aux or replacement fuel tank.

bobv60 11-14-2016 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dakster (Post 16718662)
Ordered a 2011 from the factory the way I wanted it and was very happy. Found a close to what I wanted on the lot for my 2015 and there are certain things it must have or I am not interested. Dual alts. is one. I am very happy with my 2015 as well. My only changes would have been to have 5th wheel prep, factory spray in liner, and NO Sunroof. I did get options I wouldn't have thought to get, but it came with it and I like those - minor stuff. Wheel well liners, FX4, mud guards...

I was happy with my trade in value and price on the new one as well and what I am "missing" all it takes is money to add. Just like if I had gotten a short bed I would almost have to add either an aux or replacement fuel tank.

I saw that you can buy the factory 5th wheel prep kit from ford. It was about $550, I wish I saw that before I bought the used one I have now.
Sill waiting for the snap on T50 torx to get here, broke 3 HF impact T50 sockets and only got one bed bolt loose so far