Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Engine bay ventilation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1461400-engine-bay-ventilation.html)

BGF100 11-08-2016 03:45 AM

Engine bay ventilation

78 F100 4x4 Cleveland 351.
Hi,
I have been having issues with cooling. I have bought a new radiator with a shroud and fans. I need to install, which I am hoping to do soon.

Thinking about it though.
Heat rises and there is no where for it to escape to.
There is no ventilation holes.

I was thinking of drilling and cutting some holes through where the slotted section is below the wiper blades. Toward the top of this section to avoid rain being able to get into the engine bay. Not sure how the heat would go on the window screen and I don’t like messing with the firewall. I guess another alternative is to cut the bonnet / hood somehow.
Really need to get rid of that heat, I think it is effecting the fuel in the carburetor.

Any one done something similar?

Thanks, :)

Blue and White 11-08-2016 05:37 AM

I guess cutting some holes might help. That said, these trucks are very open underneath and there is plenty of area for air to escape.

I would be worried about water getting in and causing rust or problem with electrical components.

A good radiator and factory style fan + shroud can keep these trucks cool. Or good radiator and good electric fan like the Mark IV discussed many times on the board. I run a Champion radiator + factory style fan and it is quite effective and not crazy expensive.

Fuel and the carburetor is a challenge because today's fuel is not blended for carb application. The gas boils too eaisly and that causes vapor lock and hot re-start issues. Some combos are more sensitive than others. I and many others use a rear mounted electric pump to solve this problem. The electric pump runs where it is cool and puts a little pressure in the rest of the fuel line to stop the boiling and re-fill a hot carb after the fuel boils out on hot shutdown.

Ozzie H. 11-08-2016 06:58 AM

I wouldn't do it. It will likely introduce under hood air into the cabin. Normal motion of the truck or forced flow via the fan will "push" the hot air out through the bottom. Your time will probably be better spent resolving the real cause of the overheating.

good to doo 11-08-2016 07:43 AM

Just put the new parts on, I,m sure your problem will go away. Unless there is something going on inside the engine.

tbear853 11-08-2016 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ozzie H. (Post 16706482)
I wouldn't do it. It will likely introduce under hood air into the cabin. Normal motion of the truck or forced flow via the fan will "push" the hot air out through the bottom. Your time will probably be better spent resolving the real cause of the overheating.

X2! on all that! :-X22

The base of the windshield is the area where cabin fresh air comes from as it's a high pressure area. If you vent it on the engine side, it will not let air evacuate the engine up past the windshield, it will just mix under hood air with vapors, smells, into cabin area.

hivoltj 11-08-2016 04:36 PM

No, there is no reason that truck would heat up with a properly functioning cooling system. These engine bays are very large and free flowing. Just look at where bugs land all over your engine bay after a highway trip.

Fix the problem. I'm running a 408 with plenty of compression and horsepower and actually running a bit too cool on the highway

burnthelight88 11-08-2016 05:33 PM

Sounds like something a rice burner would try. I'd make sure that the front of your radiator is clean, thermostat is functioning, coolant is clean. FANS plural makes it sound as though you've upgraded to electric fans, hope you bought some good ones and not junk ones from eBay. That could almost make the situation worse. If you want to go to electric fans, make sure you read some of the write-ups on the forums, a lot of guys have done it RIGHT and can make it easier for you.

HIO Silver 11-08-2016 06:56 PM

If concerned, consider a cowl induction hood or a reversed hood scoop to vent the engine heat.