Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   backspacing for rims 2017 f250 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1460635-backspacing-for-rims-2017-f250.html)

FONRDAY 11-03-2016 01:21 AM

backspacing for rims 2017 f250

I want new rims but what back spacing are you guys using on 20s plus machined black 20s for sale with michelins with 299 miles so far

RainDesert 11-03-2016 10:18 PM

Offset seems to be the more common number I see when figuring backspace or offset while wheel shopping. I chose to powder coat some older factory 20's because I don't like the tires sticking out these days. To minimize the wheels/tires sticking out much past the fenders, chose the +20mm offset range. Factory is +40mm on a 8" wheel. Also, an aftermarket 20x9 will already stick out(and in) a 1/2in farther than stock if offset was the same. So by going to a +20 on a 9" wheel, you will be out 1/2" plus 20 mm for a total of 1.29".

PwerStroke99 11-04-2016 08:59 AM

I went with a 0 offset with my new wheels with 18s

Sleepyguy 11-04-2016 10:45 AM

I though stock factory was -12?

Bread Truck 11-04-2016 02:35 PM

PwerStroke99 could you post a pic of your truck straight on so we can see how far they stick out?

Thank you!

PwerStroke99 11-04-2016 03:05 PM

This is the best straight on pic I have right now. You can see the rear tire pretty good. I will try and get a better pic this weekend after I wash it.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...c9f52a5690.jpg

PwerStroke99 11-04-2016 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sleepyguy (Post 16697009)

This is what I was told too.

PwerStroke99 11-04-2016 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bread Truck (Post 16697447)
PwerStroke99 could you post a pic of your truck straight on so we can see how far they stick out?

Thank you!

here are a couple more I took earlier today.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...3f7fc1e6c9.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...5c78675e5e.jpg

SuperD77 11-04-2016 10:26 PM

So a +20 will stick out less than a 0 offset correct ?

Sleepyguy 11-04-2016 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by SuperD77 (Post 16698573)

Positive
The hub mounting surface is located in the front half of the wheel closer to the wheel face. This tucks the entire wheel in toward the brakes and vehicle suspension. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front-wheel drive cars and newer rear-wheel drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is located in the back half of the wheel closer to the back lip flange. This moves the wheel out away from the vehicle brakes and suspension. "Deep dish" wheels and wheels for lifted trucks are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. Often, when changing the width of the wheel, the offset will also need to change to maintain proper clearances inside the wheel well. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We test fit thousands of different vehicle and wheel size combinations to confirm which ones work correctly. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

*Backspacing, similar to offset, is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel (measured in inches).

EpicCowlick 11-04-2016 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sleepyguy (Post 16698629)
Positive
The hub mounting surface is located in the front half of the wheel closer to the wheel face. This tucks the entire wheel in toward the brakes and vehicle suspension. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front-wheel drive cars and newer rear-wheel drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is located in the back half of the wheel closer to the back lip flange. This moves the wheel out away from the vehicle brakes and suspension. "Deep dish" wheels and wheels for lifted trucks are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. Often, when changing the width of the wheel, the offset will also need to change to maintain proper clearances inside the wheel well. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We test fit thousands of different vehicle and wheel size combinations to confirm which ones work correctly. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

*Backspacing, similar to offset, is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel (measured in inches).

Sleepy, can you comment on using spacers or wheel adapters? Is there a half inch option available for our hub centric wheels? Some of us have put 37 inch tires on the OEM wheels and the tires do rub on the control arm at full steering lock. The wheel wouldn't need much more space to prevent that.

kylant 11-05-2016 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sleepyguy (Post 16697009)

I am 99% sure the wheels are 8” wide with a +40mm offset

Originally Posted by SuperD77 (Post 16698573)

correct, positive offset moves the wheel in towards the suspension. reducing the offset, moves the wheel out from the suspension.

RainDesert 11-05-2016 08:45 AM

Factory offset has been 40mm since the 2005+ front suspension change. Prior to that is was 6mm on leaf spring trucks.

RainDesert 11-05-2016 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick (Post 16698666)
Is there a half inch option available for our hub centric wheels? Some of us have put 37 inch tires on the OEM wheels and the tires do rub on the control arm at full steering lock. The wheel wouldn't need much more space to prevent that.

There are 1/8" spacers that usually still allow enough wheel to sit on the hub. I have not tried it in years on any of my newer trucks, but I have had them in the past. The tire store had them in stock.

All the other spacers bolt on, and anything short of 2" requires you cut your studs down. No way IMO.

98woody 02-12-2018 02:05 PM

So the 0 offset looks like it sticks out enough in this picture. What size tire and rim combo? I was going 35 12.5 r20 , not sure on 9 or 10" rim or offset