Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum287/)
-   -   Prodigy RF Brake controller issues (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1458231-prodigy-rf-brake-controller-issues.html)

Shovelheadrob 10-18-2016 04:52 AM

Prodigy RF Brake controller issues

Anyone else use this brake controller? I've had mine for over a year now & it's always been really good, however yesterday on a 400 mile trip it twice disconnected (not paired) both times we were in heavy traffic & not able to pull off the road to check anything but after probably less than a minute everything was good again. I'm wondering if outside radio interference can cause this, any opinions?

senix 10-18-2016 05:05 AM

usually when a controller disconnects it is a connection issue.

Check your 7 pin connection.

Shovelheadrob 10-18-2016 05:48 AM

It's not a physical connection problem, the brakes still work albeit maximum braking. The controller displays "nc" which indicates that it is not paired with the box on the trailer. The controller communicates by rf/bluetooth.

RV_Tech 10-18-2016 06:19 AM

Still could be a connection problem not truck to trailer, but at the trailer to the box or in the trailer brake circuit. There is quite a bit about this on the Internet. If you haven't had a chance to do so, read through the stuff on etrailer about this controller.

Also you could just give the manufacturer a call and see what they have to say. :)

Steve

senix 10-18-2016 07:00 AM

I guess you will have to speak with the manufacturer on the communication errors

RV_Tech 10-18-2016 07:04 AM

Perhaps, but I would just take a look-see first as you would do with any other brake controller. It might be something simple. :)

Steve

Shovelheadrob 10-18-2016 07:14 AM

I've checked all the connections, all good & it hasn't been a problem again, which was what made me wonder if they can suffer from radio interference, I'll shoot them an email, it's just the last time I made a technical enquiry it was a fail. We have our brake lights & turn signals wired differently in the UK & I asked if the way I was going to wire the controller would be OK, they just sent a cut & paste response & a link to the installation guide!

RV_Tech 10-18-2016 07:22 AM

Since it had been working well, is there something that has changed over the period of time you have been using it? I would expect the manufacturer had taken RF interference into consideration in the design. I have had only a couple of customers using that controller and no problems reports.

I find lots of comments about trouble pairing with high-end German vehicles and questions about whether the Prodigy would disrupt other vehicle devices on the Internet.

Steve

Shovelheadrob 10-18-2016 07:39 AM

Thanks Steve, nothing has changed, I've read loads of stuff about pairing problems but they all refer to initial pairing which was not a problem & when ever I hook up the trailer the handheld pairs instantly. I only went for this device as we have a stupid law here, that only allows electric brakes if the controller is fitted to the trailer & this was the best/easiest solution.

RV_Tech 10-18-2016 07:52 AM

The only reason I ask is my thinking is if it is an RF problem lots of folks should have it and that doesn't seem to be the case from what I have read so far. Let's say it is not the controller. Let's say it is a magnet going south or something on the trailer itself. I can't think of anything else, but I know the more likely answer to any RV issue is likely to be the simplest one. :)

Steve

Shovelheadrob 10-18-2016 08:03 AM

When it "failed", it goes to a default safety feature that just puts full current/voltage to the brakes, that was what drew my attention to it, I gave the trailer a service & adjusted all the brakes before we left home for this trip & the brakes work real good, too good when the controller cuts out. Hopefully it won't happen again, I'll have to dig a bit deeper when I get home if it does! I've already got to replace the drive shaft on the atwood landing gear as that failed last week, as usual the $10 part let's you down!

RV_Tech 10-18-2016 09:38 AM

Well okay, that shoots down any thought I had about the magnets.

Haven't had many shaft failures. Bevel gears are the weak length.

Have fun. :)

Steve