Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   07 Navigator liftgate only opens with remote (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1457632-07-navigator-liftgate-only-opens-with-remote.html)

Navigator777 10-13-2016 11:06 PM

07 Navigator liftgate only opens with remote

07 Navigator liftgate only opens with remote not with rear handle or button.
Any ideas?

PLCguy 10-16-2016 07:56 PM

I have a similar issue on my 2011 Navi L. I turned off the power liftgate using the MFD on the dash (my garage isn't big enough to open liftgate and I was worried my family would damage the liftgate opening it. After I did that, the rear handle makes a noise, but does not release the latch. My remote opens the liftgate with power but rear handle is essentially useless (doesn't open power or allow it manually)

Have you checked if the Power Liftgate ON/OFF setting on your multi function dash display. I don't know how you turn on or off for the 2007 model.

Navigator777 10-16-2016 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by PLCguy (Post 16650955)
I have a similar issue on my 2011 Navi L. I turned off the power liftgate using the MFD on the dash (my garage isn't big enough to open liftgate and I was worried my family would damage the liftgate opening it. After I did that, the rear handle makes a noise, but does not release the latch. My remote opens the liftgate with power but rear handle is essentially useless (doesn't open power or allow it manually)

Have you checked if the Power Liftgate ON/OFF setting on your multi function dash display. I don't know how you turn on or off for the 2007 model.

That's exactly what this one is doing. Yes I checked it and its set to ON.

PLCguy 10-17-2016 08:35 AM

So mine is OFF, yours in ON, and they both do the same thing?

Now I know something is definitely wrong.

PLCguy 10-20-2016 07:54 PM

Well Navigator777, looks like no one is going to help us, so we'll have to help each other. When you pull the rear latch, do you hear any noises in the liftgate, like it's trying to open. If not, it could be the latch button itself is broken.

I've seen reports of the actuator cable for the liftgate release breaking, but if it works with the remote, then the cable must be ok.

Navigator777 10-28-2016 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by PLCguy (Post 16661017)
Well Navigator777, looks like no one is going to help us, so we'll have to help each other. When you pull the rear latch, do you hear any noises in the liftgate, like it's trying to open. If not, it could be the latch button itself is broken.

I've seen reports of the actuator cable for the liftgate release breaking, but if it works with the remote, then the cable must be ok.

I was actually posting for my dad, I sold my Navigator a few years back. Dad lives 300 miles away so it was talking to him on the phone. It finally ended up he did have it turned off, after your post matched his description exactly I had him go in and set it to what ever it wasn't, figuring he was reading it wrong, hes not too tech savvy.
And sure enough he changed it and now it all working again.

I recently had to find him a replacement air suspension pump and I think the guy that installed it for him somehow turned it off.

Thanks for the help, hes a 78 year old happy camper not that he doesn't have to pay for a fix :)

PLCguy 10-30-2016 12:04 PM

Good. Glad you got it figured out.