Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   What sounds like a reasonable offer on a 2007 F250 with a blown motor (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1454297-what-sounds-like-a-reasonable-offer-on-a-2007-f250-with-a-blown-motor.html)

SDuser 09-21-2016 11:50 PM

What sounds like a reasonable offer on a 2007 F250 with a blown motor

Hi I am considering purchasing a low mileage F250 CC SB 4x4 with a blown 6.8 motor, (ran with no oil). It has low mileage under 100k, and some minor body damage, it is a California rig so no visible rust. Tires 35 inch and 6 inch lift interior are in good shape. Having a hard time finding a nice 6.8l V10 with the above options in running condition. I would really appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks

Mike189677 09-22-2016 12:31 AM

It's definitely tough to find an nice v10 there weren't many to start with and people hold on to them. It took me almost 4 months to find mine. Anyway the lift and tires aren't going to add any value to the truck at all. What are they asking for it and is it local to you. Or are you going to have to have it shipped somewhere after the purchase. And depending on how minor the body damage is will all factor in. I'm sure there's not a lot of people lining up to buy a truck that doesn't run and needs a motor.

Chuck's First Ford 09-22-2016 06:49 AM

and where are you going to find/get a good V10.? and at what price... and WHO is going to replace it.??

all cost money.. and YES I have replaced many engines...

so unless this Truck is CHEAP and CHEAP... give it a pass.

fyi.. and so you know there are 2 valve and 3 valve V 10 .. and must exchange with same type.

lwarrior1016 09-22-2016 06:53 AM

2007 should be the 3v. Honestly, I would pass on that. I rebuild all my own engines and do all my own work, and I would pass on the 3v. They had too many problems. The heads flow great and make decent power but what about that stupid spark plug design? Either way, I would look over that one.

By the way, you could swap in a 2v 6.8L but you would need a custom program for the computer.

texastech_diesel 09-22-2016 08:50 AM

Since nobody will answer your actual question, I'd say $5-6k. It's probably worth that in parts if someone was patient selling it off, especially if it's short bed in good shape, that can be a $1K plus sale itself.

Ford reman comes with a 3 year/unlimited milage warranty and a no-risk core refund. Complete running drop in is $5,800 for the part.

SDuser 09-22-2016 06:39 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. I will be doing the engine replacement myself. I had heard about the 3V motor having some kind of 2 piece spark plug, that a high percentage break off during replacement and that a special removal tool was developed to help remove the broken piece, but I thought they could be replaced with a Champion 1 piece design? So that future replacements should not be an issue.

SDuser 09-22-2016 06:42 PM

Thanks for the price estimate being about $5800 for a running drop in, I will check with the ford dealer to get a good quote, or might check out Jasper Engines for a replacement as well.

SDuser 09-22-2016 06:47 PM

Also I agree that the lift and tires will add no value, I know the guy selling it will probably mention it, but honestly I would rather have it in stock condition. It makes it too hard to work on the motor with the tires and lift. Anyway, I wanted to do some research before I made him an offer.

Ron94150 09-22-2016 07:28 PM

The only thing that scares me about this deal is "the light body damage". Are you fixing that yourself? That could be a 500 deal or a 4000 deal. If it was a truck in near perfect condition, then 6k for the truck, and 6-6500 to get it running with factory replacement motor. So you @12k into it and looking good with a 3 year warranty on the motor. But if you have to pour 3k more into body work, then your at the point of not getting such a good deal and a lot of labor in it.

If your going to spend the money on a reman motor, just suck it up and put a few more dollars with it, the quality of the ford crate motor vs the others is tremendous. Sometimes the ford crate motors are just as cheap! And you are correct about the spark plugs, Just go ahead and put the correct ones in and no worries. The 3v v10s are very good motors.

SDuser 09-22-2016 08:43 PM

Thanks for the value estimates, the body damage is on the SB, lower passenger side panel, and it might just pop out not very good about guessing or doing any body work. I like my vehicles to look nice, but it does not have to be super nice either. Thanks for the validation on the plugs. Do you know if there are any significant differences in the the 3V motor for years 2005 through 2010? I just wonder if they are interchangeable should I find a good junk yard pull.

Mike189677 09-22-2016 08:55 PM

Motorcraft also has a one piece plug that they replaced the 2 piece plug with mid way though 08 model year. The crate motor from ford should have the 1 piece plugs. You should be able to swap motors though the 2010
Model year for pickups. The 3 valve v10 is still available today it just mated to the 6 speed torqueshift in the cab and chassis.

Ron94150 09-22-2016 09:30 PM

One more thing to think about, you can't drive the truck, so you don't know of any transmission issues, sensor issues, rear end issues, wheel bearings, suspension issues, etc.. remember, lifts and big tires are hard on front ends. You should still be able to pull any stored codes if the battery is still up and good. Check to see if it's had a lower gear ratio put in, that would be a big plus for me with the larger tires, if done correctly. But if the interior is in good shape, and the bed damage is very light, someone that knows what they are doing can part that truck out for 5k+. A used motor may be your best bet unless you know you will be keeping this truck a long time. It would be different if you had this truck when it blew and new everything about it.

I.B. Washincars 09-22-2016 09:32 PM

I did a car-part search for this engine and the results were only 2005-2007 MY. I don't know what the difference is between them and the newer V-10s, but nothing 2008-2010 came up in the search results. There was one 2006 with only 28K but they wanted $4500 for it.

SDuser 09-23-2016 06:08 PM

Thanks so much for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. I just checked with one of the Ford dealers in the area, and they quoted me about $7700.00 including the core charge of 800.00 and CA taxes of 571.00. No freight charges were included, so I would probably arrange to pick it up there if I go with a factory reman. Then I still need the intake, exhaust gaskets and new exhaust mounting hardware, and a few other service items I would probably replace while I would have the engine out.
Totally agree about not knowing the state of the transmission, and other rotating items. I was going to check out the diffs to see if maybe they changed the gears out, fingers crossed as I am for sure going to regear if not. I really would have preferred it to be a stock suspension, with maybe a leveling kit, and stock tires. If I remember right the previous owner 4 linked the suspension setup as well so going back to stock probably would not be a good financial option , so a regear would be definitely in order if not already done. The main purpose of the truck would be to use it for towing a 26 foot toy hauler. So airbags would definitely be in order, if it is 4 linked then that may not even be an option. I am going on memory of about 9 months ago when I last saw it. I really did not want to bother the owner until I had already done my homework, before considering to make an offer. Thanks again, I will post again next week if I can arrange a meet with owner to really go over the truck.

SDuser 09-23-2016 06:16 PM

I. B. Washincars, thank you such for doing the part search, that was so cool of you. Considering the quote I got from the Ford dealer that is looking pretty reasonable. I will have to see how the inspection goes before I decide to make a move. Really hoping it does not have a 4 link suspension setup, I just remember it had some modifications at the time, as I was not really interested when I saw it.