Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Rack issue (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1450117-rack-issue.html)

chad77 08-24-2016 09:28 PM

Rack issue

Hey guys.

So if you follow my thread, you would see I have my rack installed etc.

When installing my U joint to the input shaft (should be 3/4"-36 spline for mustang II) the U joint wouldn't slide on smoothly. At all.

I thought it was just tight.

I did a rough count on the teeth(once I passed 30 I figured it has to be 36)and i hammered it on.

I took a look at it after hammering it on and noticed it looked like most teeth meshed perfectly and about a ¼ of them didn't.

I emailed the guy I got it from and he did a count on his inventory. They are all 35.. manufacturer defect..

Has offered to refund it.

My question is:
its on there, GOOD. Is it ok to use?

Thoughts?

It would most likely need some REALLY good hits to get it off the input shaft.

Let my lesson be a lesson to others.

56panelford 08-24-2016 09:48 PM

Never force it, get a bigger hammer as I was taught...lol

chad77 08-24-2016 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 56panelford (Post 16522486)
Never force it, get a bigger hammer as I was taught...lol

I don't think it's going to be an issue. Was even going to drill a good dimple in it for the set screw just to be sure. Was just curious to people's thoughts.

56panelford 08-24-2016 09:57 PM

If it was a default with the rack and they are willing to replace it I would let them, if for some reason you need to remove it sometime down the road it would be much nicer to have the pieces slide apart than to need to beat them apart..my thoughts..

Gicknordon 08-25-2016 03:31 AM

Yeah I would replace it now while they are willing to make it right. Like 56panel said, You will be happy down the road when you need to take the rack off and the u joint slides off easier.

Justboy 08-25-2016 04:01 AM

Won't it have damaged the teeth on the male and female ends? Personally I wouldn't leave it like that even if it was solid. Someone is bound to curse you somewhere down the line.

avf100 08-25-2016 06:38 AM

By your post I assume it is the joint that is defective. And what condition are the teeth on the rack now. Are they damaged from installing the bad joint?

chad77 08-25-2016 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by avf100 (Post 16523015)
By your post I assume it is the joint that is defective. And what condition are the teeth on the rack now. Are they damaged from installing the bad joint?

The joint is correct (36 spline) The rack is wrong(35 spline)

Hard to tell if any teeth are messed up as it is a tight fit. I dont think its coming apart easy myself.

I would say 5-8 teeth didnt mesh properly.

Justboy 08-25-2016 09:02 AM

I suppose a simplistic way of looking at it then is that your shear capacity is around (36-8)/36 of what it should be at best. I think if you take it apart and the splines are damaged it would be very hard to clean up the UJ splines (assuming that's the female part). Ideally if you have a spare shaft to try in it first to check.

chad77 08-25-2016 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Justboy (Post 16523252)
I suppose a simplistic way of looking at it then is that your shear capacity is around (36-8)/36 of what it should be at best. I think if you take it apart and the splines are damaged it would be very hard to clean up the UJ splines (assuming that's the female part). Ideally if you have a spare shaft to try in it first to check.

I agree. If I take it off, I would have to replace the input shaft (which I cant seem to find a replacement anywhere on the NET) and probably the U joint to fit properly on a 36 spline shaft. There would probably be no fixing the splines.

56panelford 08-25-2016 09:10 AM

Horton's should have those U-joints in stock Chad, where I got mine..

Normalbloke 08-25-2016 09:28 AM

Risk and consequence. What would NOT having a total steering failure at speed be worth to yourself, and more importantly, those that share the road with you?