Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   99 7.3 camshaft wear replace ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1448577-99-7-3-camshaft-wear-replace.html)

Archy 08-14-2016 08:52 PM

99 7.3 camshaft wear replace ?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey every one I'm in the middle of rebuilding a 7.3 due to low compression and the cam is worn on a few loves and wanted to get some apinions on if it should be replaced or re ran thanks in advance

Poolguy601 08-14-2016 08:56 PM

What did the roller look like on the tappet?

z31freakify 08-14-2016 08:57 PM

That looks deep, I don't think re grinding will help, also there's a lot of heat on that lobe did the lifter get stuck?

Archy 08-14-2016 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another

Archy 08-14-2016 09:00 PM

Some very faint lines and rolled smooth as silk

Archy 08-14-2016 09:05 PM

The 1 groove is pretty deep and there is another that has a dot but all the lifters are like new

Walleye Hunter 08-15-2016 07:35 AM

My vote is for a new one. Time has passed and things have changed a little since I delved that deep into the bowls of a diesel but way back when I did I was told that the cam is only hardened on the outer edge (case hardened) and that it didn't take much to get past that surface. That one lobe is pretty torn up. Additionally, with the amount of steel that you'll have to grind off of it, I don't think you can do anything like you can with a bored out cylinder (larger rings or piston) and you will change its dimensions.

Tugly 08-15-2016 07:57 AM

Just for comparison, I'll share a photo of the cam still an OBS 7.3L:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...b1546b9a6f.png

No flat spots, rough patches, grooves, or pitting. In your picture... I see the glare disappear on the worn part of the cam. This means the surface is roughened, and it will act like sandpaper on the lifter. I'll bet those lifters are done as well.

Archy 08-15-2016 10:13 AM

The lifter are actually all in great shape. They don't match the cam condition but I just don't feel good about putting this cam back in. Does any one know where I can find another one ? Stock replacment. I'm having a hard time finding one new. I have another engine I can rob it out of but would rather get new.

Walleye Hunter 08-15-2016 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Archy (Post 16498749)
The lifter are actually all in great shape. They don't match the cam condition but I just don't feel good about putting this cam back in. Does any one know where I can find another one ? Stock replacment. I'm having a hard time finding one new. I have another engine I can rob it out of but would rather get new.

Where you been lookin'?
CAMSHAFT for 1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty|F81Z-6250-AA
And any International dealer should have it too.

BTW you might consider new lifters too, they're something that wears into a match with the lobes that they ride on and a new cam might wear differently on them. Others here can probably tell you if I'm off base on this.

hydro man 17 08-15-2016 12:21 PM

X-2 on new lifters. The old ones may look OK but it is a lot of work to replace them if they are not.

MOOSE_MACHINE 08-15-2016 12:47 PM

Not only that but it sure would suck to have to get another cam because you like new lifters pooched the new cam

HKusp 08-15-2016 01:05 PM

Yeah, once you are that deep, mine as well replace the lifters. For the money, it's a worthwhile thing to do.

Archy 08-15-2016 01:32 PM

Ya I already had it quoted to have them replaced I just didn't plan on the cam being bad so there will absolutley be new lifters going in. I would like to find out how this happened tho. It's in a manual trans truck so I'm thinking it is from to much rpm over the years. It has 239000 miles and the bearings, crank, and pistons look pretty good it's just the cam. The reason for rebuild is low compression, all of the cylinders were 280 - 330psi. Customer just wanted to have the engine 100% again it did run pretty good with the compression it has didn't smoke to bad ether. But I did include new HD lifters from dynamic diesel in the original quote. Thanks walleye hunter, I will check it out. I just searched Google to find one. I'm going to ask my local machine shop to get a price as well, try to keep the money local if possible

hydro man 17 08-15-2016 09:40 PM

Jst curious. Any history on oil change interval? Oil in my truck has ben changed at ~3k intervals since new and is still "clean" - on the dip stick at least. Nothing fancy, "old formula" DELO 400 15W-40. Just because the OA says all of the additives are good to go does not mea that it is not full of soot - read "polishing compound".