Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Having never owned a dual (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1448532-having-never-owned-a-dual.html)

Pikachu 08-16-2016 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter (Post 16502356)
That is the first bad rap I ever heard on Interstate batteries (I don't read Consumer Reports though). What brand do you recommend?

I checked out the Interstate website there and didn't find what you are referring to. Our batteries are group 65 batteries. They showed three options, one for heavy accessory use, one for cold to moderate climate and one for moderate to hot climate (and one cheap model, guess that makes 4). None of them had white tops and the 850 CCA looks like it's rated at 850 at 0*F, 1000 at 32*F. I did not see any that were rated 1000 CCA @ 0*F. They do have a stiff list price.

My next set will probably be Deka, based on the recommendation of our local auto electric rebuilder guy. Coincidentally, I've seen a Deka tractor trailer delivering batteries to the local Wal-Mart, and the Wal-Mart EverStart Maxx batteries get a pretty good rating from CR. DieHard Platinums seem to always top the list, but they're kind of pricey. I can say for sure that when the garbage Bosch batteries come out, I will never put another one in. They've been nothing but garbage.

EDIT: It appears the DieHard Platinum isn't available any longer.

nlemerise 08-16-2016 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pikachu (Post 16502394)
My next set will probably be Deka, based on the recommendation of our local auto electric rebuilder guy. Coincidentally, I've seen a Deka tractor trailer delivering batteries to the local Wal-Mart, and the Wal-Mart EverStart Maxx batteries get a pretty good rating from CR. DieHard Platinums seem to always top the list, but they're kind of pricey. I can say for sure that when the garbage Bosch batteries come out, I will never put another one in. They've been nothing but garbage.

EDIT: It appears the DieHard Platinum isn't available any longer.

DEKA has a very good reputation among those folks who buy them by the pallet (fleets). I have the WalMarts in mine and they are 4 years old (disconnected each winter for 6 months) and always start the truck in the spring when I get home.

Tedster9 08-16-2016 08:21 PM

You can charge them together (that's how the alternator does it, electrically it's simply a single larger capacity battery) but a charger needs to be sized to the battery it is working with. Many consumer chargers consequently would be on the small side. A rule of thumb with charging is provide as much current as the battery will accept but not to exceed 25% of the 20 hour ampere rating. A Diehard Platinum is rated at 68 for example. So figure a 20 or 25 amp charge setting would be about optimal.