Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2014+ Transit (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum273/)
-   -   Wing Buffeting (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1447533-wing-buffeting.html)

jtindale 08-07-2016 03:13 PM

Wing Buffeting

Hello Everyone,

I just picked up a 2016 Transit 350 Wagon yesterday and on my way home (5-6 hour drive) I experienced a lot of wind buffeting while I was in the 70-75 mph range.

I spent some time searching this site and the internet and I'm not seeing any chatter that this is a known issue. Has anyone else experienced this?

Joe

Frantz 08-08-2016 09:10 AM

Which roof do you have? Also, what sorta vans are you used to? I have always found the Transits to be fairly quite, but I'm not comparing them to traditional mini-vans.

jtindale 08-08-2016 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Frantz (Post 16481659)
Which roof do you have? Also, what sorta vans are you used to? I have always found the Transits to be fairly quite, but I'm not comparing them to traditional mini-vans.

Hello Frantz,

I have the low roof. And the buffeting is bad enough to where you can hear/feel the pressure in the vehicle.

I am not used to any vans, this is our first. The van is pretty quite, the only part that bothers me is when I get over 70mph and the buffeting kicks in. Its sound/feeling you get when only rolling one window down while going down the interstate, but only very subtle.

Frantz 08-08-2016 12:19 PM

OHHHH... yeah if you put the window down you're gonna get that in most vehicles much newer than your beautiful '78. I thought you were hearing a noise like the body panels flexing too much or some piece of trim loose.

jtindale 08-08-2016 12:26 PM

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I'm hearing and feeling this buffeting with the windows up. I was just using the windows down description as an analogy. It really odd to hear and feel that with the windows up but my wife was noticing it too, so I know at least for this one scenario, I'm not crazy.

Thanks for the compliment on my '78. I really enjoy that truck.

Frantz 08-09-2016 08:03 AM

I was fortunate enough to get a '79 with 76 front end from a fellow forum member, but it's relegated to farm duties at this point in her life. Probably the last of the traditionally styled trucks IMO.

I'll try to pay extra attention next time I take one out to see if it's "characteristic" or if maybe a piece of trim on yours is outta wack. Just like with the windows down, it doesn't take much to disrupt the air stream on the new vehicles and make all sorts of noises.

jtindale 08-09-2016 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Frantz (Post 16483999)
I was fortunate enough to get a '79 with 76 front end from a fellow forum member, but it's relegated to farm duties at this point in her life. Probably the last of the traditionally styled trucks IMO.

I'll try to pay extra attention next time I take one out to see if it's "characteristic" or if maybe a piece of trim on yours is outta wack. Just like with the windows down, it doesn't take much to disrupt the air stream on the new vehicles and make all sorts of noises.

Very nice on your '79. I really like the dent-side styled trucks.

I found a thread on this buffeting topic on a more active Transit forum. You can see it here:
Air leak / bad seal somewhere? - Ford Transit USA Forum

Andye150 02-26-2017 09:37 PM

Hi, I test drove 2 new transits with the low roofs. Both had the same buffeting issues with the windows up or opened a little, vent open and not recirc, etc.
Searched online and found that the low roof flexes while driving causing the pressure inside. Some guys switched to softer shocks and one guy drilled a bunch of holes behind his license plate to soften the air pressure. They're sealed up tight.
Andy

Hat4RVn 03-14-2019 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Andye150 (Post 16986438)
Hi, I test drove 2 new transits with the low roofs. Both had the same buffeting issues with the windows up or opened a little, vent open and not recirc, etc.
Searched online and found that the low roof flexes while driving causing the pressure inside.

I have a 2016 T-150 XLT, LR for about a year. I've driven it at high speeds, into winds and cross-winds, and haven't experienced the buffeting issue.
I will say that my roof was dented before I got it (looks like a limb fell on it) and doesn't have the same flex profile of the stock roof. Maybe that's why?

Originally Posted by Andye150 (Post 16986438)
Some guys switched to softer shocks

I'm actually looking for softer shocks myself and have gotten nowhere. Do you know where I can get a performance shock for the rear?