Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Bad engine shudder? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1446819-bad-engine-shudder.html)

afhanson72 08-02-2016 03:02 PM

Bad engine shudder?

So I have had this happen 3 times so far. As I am driving, and step on the accelerator, I get a very bad shudder in the engine. The whole front of the truck is jumping up and down. Once I slow down it stops and is fine.

It has happened on the following three occasions but it is intermittent and does not do it all the time:

1. driving up a long grade at 45 mph for 5 minutes. I stepped on the accelerator to speed up and it happened.

2. Getting on the highway from 45 to 70 fairly quickly.

3. Once I got on the throttle heavy and got up to 80 MPH. I laid off the throttle to slow down and when I stepped on the accelerator again it happened.

I was not towing at any of these times. I do have warranty still but since I cannot always replicate it, I have not taken it to the dealer yet.

Any ideas??

golfmedik 08-02-2016 03:12 PM

How many miles? How many miles on current fuel filters? Could be anything from restricted fuel, fuel pump, torque converter lockup, to a misfire. These guys are pretty good. Give them all the information you can as to maintenance, driving habits and service of your truck. I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction. Since you have warranty, I would ask them to scan the truck to see if it has a stored code and then ask them to ride with you, or let them drive it while recording with the IDS to try and duplicate it.

afhanson72 08-02-2016 03:19 PM

93k miles on the truck. 5,000 miles on current fuel filters.
Scheduled maintenance is done when the computer tells me. I have owned the truck for 2 years and bought it with 56k miles on it.

Thanks for your input. That was my thought too was to try to take a tech for a ride and see if I can get it to do the same thing.

ruschejj 08-02-2016 04:02 PM

Things it could be:
Clogged egr or egr valve
CAC leak
More than 15qts of oil
Injector failing
An exhaust valve ready to drop

You may consider hooking up to the heaviest trailer you can find, try to break whatever it is before the warranty is up.

afhanson72 08-04-2016 02:55 PM

Thanks for the input. Now I can get it to replicate at 80 mph only. I will get it in the shop as soon as my Tbird comes out!

Jgkopp 09-11-2016 11:57 AM

My truck purchased 1/16 has 18k miles and I have also experienced this 3 times during the last month or so. It does not happen often enough to get a handle on it. The last one I was going up hill around 50 mph in 6 gear and as I powered into the hill, instead of shifting down the engine began to shutter. I back off the power and try it again and it shifts down and pulls fine. I am going to try a new factory air filter. Have done 2 oil changes so far.

Also had a unexplained bussing noise from the windshield upper area when going 70 with just the right cross wind. Then due to a crack I just replaced the windshield and I have not been able to get the noise to happen since. It has only been a week so I am not sure that this is fixed. But it seems like it is.

HouseMouse 09-11-2016 03:56 PM

Are you running any Fuel Conditioner? Fuel Injection cleaner? (Same thing(?))

Jgkopp 09-11-2016 04:59 PM

No I am not. What do you suggest?

HouseMouse 09-11-2016 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jgkopp (Post 16566227)
No I am not. What do you suggest?

That is a hornets nest of opinions about to landslide your way. My Opinion is pretty much any name brand. I use Power Service.... White Bottle of Winter and Silver for Summer. Amzoil has a good one or the Ford brand. Stay away from the WalMut stuff or secondary concoctions. Give this a try first.... Should take a few tanks of fuel before you know if there is something else that is wrong other than just dirty injectors. It's a cheap start. :-blah

Dakster 09-11-2016 05:56 PM

Could be sooty valves too. No one has ever reported any warning prior to a valve dropping in a 2011- other than a few seconds of weird running before the motor stops.

Also with that many miles on it, I would change the glow plugs out on a 2011, if they haven't been already.

If you can get your hands on some biodiesel... run that and check the fuel filters... At least at B20. Really if you want a great cleaning, run the tank low and fill it up with B99... Disclaimer: While I have done that without any adverse affects - Ford only supports up to B20. So do that at your own risk. I like additives too. Although I may quit running them now that I run "premium" diesel which has power service additives added in already and is supposed to be at least 48 cetane.

Other suggestions are great as well. Kinda of a check them off the list one at a time and see if you find anything out of sorts.

Last question, does it do this after you see the "Exhaust Cleaning" message or can you do this "on demand" at anytime?

wharrell 09-11-2016 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by afhanson72 (Post 16468174)
So I have had this happen 3 times so far. As I am driving, and step on the accelerator, I get a very bad shudder in the engine. The whole front of the truck is jumping up and down. Once I slow down it stops and is fine.

It has happened on the following three occasions but it is intermittent and does not do it all the time:

1. driving up a long grade at 45 mph for 5 minutes. I stepped on the accelerator to speed up and it happened.

2. Getting on the highway from 45 to 70 fairly quickly.

3. Once I got on the throttle heavy and got up to 80 MPH. I laid off the throttle to slow down and when I stepped on the accelerator again it happened.

I was not towing at any of these times. I do have warranty still but since I cannot always replicate it, I have not taken it to the dealer yet.

Any ideas??

Are you sure you are not in regeneration when this happens?

Every symptom you list are events I have had with the valve issue during active regeneration