Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   '01 ranger misfire/compression test (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1445523-01-ranger-misfire-compression-test.html)

erich545 07-24-2016 03:54 PM

'01 ranger misfire/compression test

So i have a 2001 ranger 2.3l .runs very rough at idle.code says misfire in cyl.#1. I have changed plugs,wires,coil packs all motocraft.
I did a compression test..
#1.170
#2 180
#3. 185
#4 . 180
Compression seems fine,but where do i go from here? Anything else i can check/replace to solve this?

erich545 07-24-2016 04:06 PM

Edit cyl #4 was 200

spooktn 07-24-2016 04:20 PM

is that #1 cyl getting fuel,,, could be a injector acting up,,,,, make a home made stethoscope out of a old water hose or something and listen to it compared to another one ,,, see if it sounds ok

erich545 07-24-2016 04:25 PM

Listen to the injector?

erich545 07-24-2016 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by erich545 (Post 16447561)
Listen to the injector?

Sorry i was confused i looked up listening to injectors with a stethoscope. Ill try it.

erich545 07-24-2016 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by erich545 (Post 16447561)
Listen to the injector?

Dang man...i was hoping that was it,but they sound the same.any other things to check?should i just replace it anyways?

spooktn 07-24-2016 05:49 PM

I would unplug the coil so it would not start and turn it over a few turns then quickly pull that plug and see if it is wet with gas ,,, you need only three things to fire a cyl,,, gas ,,, spark and air !!! you know it is getting air so the misfire has to be spark or gas,,, sure you did not get a bad plug or wire or coil,,, check to make sure you are getting both gas and fire ,,it has to be one or the other,,, well that is my guess,,maybe a smarter member will chime in LOL

erich545 07-24-2016 06:21 PM

Well i did what you said ..ran it ,jumped out ,pulled the plug ,dry as a bone.im starting to think injector,although it sounds like its working.maybe clogged or not spraying correctly?i verified all the spark plug wires are correctly installed.

spooktn 07-24-2016 06:35 PM

i thought I told you to unplug the coil so it would not start and turn it over ,,, then see if it was wet,,, but if it is not firing i guess it would have to be wet,,, you can try and clean it,, that is if your sure it is not getting gas to that cyl ,,, i saw a youtube video on cleaning them but you need a air compressor and some fittings and hose clamps and a in line air gauge ,,, and some injector cleaner ,,, injectors are not cheap and it wont hurt to try it before you shell out parts money,,, that is if your sure it is not getting gas,,, if it was dry sounds like you might have found the trouble

spooktn 07-24-2016 06:43 PM

and have you checked to make sure the plug is firing ,,, screw you old plug back in for a second and have your new plug connected to the plug wire laying lose on engine or holding it with good insulated pliers so the tip will arch a spark over to metal ( block or bolt head ) and have a buddy turn over the engine,,,, you will see it fire if it is firing,,, best done when dark or at least well shaded ,,, i say screw old plug in for noise control if it starts with plug out it is loud as heck LOL , they make a tool that kinda looks like a plug for this testing but i always did it the way I just told you,,, but then again I am not rich LOL

erich545 07-24-2016 07:07 PM

I had it running then checked it and it dawned on me that made no sense ,so i unplugged coil wite and did it again still dry.i gotta dig up an old spark plug and test for spark when its not daylight,and 102*

spooktn 07-25-2016 10:54 AM

check your new plug for spark,,, i have got new bad ones,,, got one last year that had a hair line crack,,,, could barely see it but enough to cause a misfire !!!

erich545 07-25-2016 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by spooktn (Post 16449350)
check your new plug for spark,,, i have got new bad ones,,, got one last year that had a hair line crack,,,, could barely see it but enough to cause a misfire !!!

Its been having this problem long before the new plugs,but i will check.

erich545 07-28-2016 07:55 PM

Well i changed the injector for the hell of it,no change..could it be i got 2.3l plugs on accident? Is the 2.3 and 2.5l plugs interchangeable? Maybe time to rent a noid light?

spooktn 07-28-2016 10:35 PM

hhmmmm I just thought of this ,,, use a test light if you have one or a multimeter , place one lead on battery GROUND and the other to the injector plug HOT wire ,, if your not sure which is hot just try both wires on the injector plug (one or the other should be hot ),,, if your test light comes on or your meter shows voltage then reverse your battery lead to the HOT post and change to other wire on injector plug,,, this will test your wiring for a open circuit ,,, cheap simple test ,,, if wiring is bad injector cant spray