Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Need truck for towing – tapping ur experience (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1444905-need-truck-for-towing-tapping-ur-experience.html)

nonrev321 07-20-2016 07:20 AM

Need truck for towing – tapping ur experience

Hello,

Well I was hoping to use the 85 F-250HD I’m restoring (a multi-year process so far) but it won’t be able to tow as heavy a Travel Trailer as I’d like.

Don’t want to spend $40,000 on the latest and greatest Ford. Looking for something 3-5 years old. Don’t need a lot of bells and whistles, the fewer power accessories the better IMO.

BUT must be reliable and a workhorse. Need to tow a trailer around 11K – 12K (maybe a bit more or less) lbs

Any recommendations of a suitable Ford Truck? Reliable, Workhorse, the fewer power accessories the better

Your experience and knowledge are appreciated

Thanks
Rgds
nonrev

wrvond 07-20-2016 08:22 AM

First, go with the F-350 rather than the F-250. They are identical, but the 350 has more cargo capacity on paper.
I'd look for an F-350 XL SRW with diesel. You should be able to find one for less than $20,000.00 depending on mileage.

edit: Here's a 2010 with 80,000 miles for $23,000.00 - http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...odelCode1=F350

RainDesert 07-20-2016 09:09 AM

Reliable work horse is the 6.2 gas motor. The XL trim with power equipment is what I like and it will have less to go wrong.
I choose to limit my trailer size to fit the truck I prefer. If you think you want a heavier trailer, maybe 12k and up range then a diesel might just be needed.
I would rather have the most reliable truck on the road and a 10k or less trailer, but that's what I prefer.
If you do go for a gas SD, be sure to get the 4.30 gears. Don't settle for the 3.73 which are much easier to find.

kcducttaper 07-20-2016 09:14 AM

Diesel (or V-10 gasser) F-350 XLT 4x4 would be my vote. I'm no sales expert, but I almost figure you could get a decent price on a F-350 V-10 gasser because most folks want a diesel in their F-350, so demand would be lower for the 350 gasser. Not sure - just a wonder.

The F-350 would carry the weight of the trailer (and whatever you put in it) better than the F-250 although a 250 would cope just fine - especially if you put airbags in the back. Personally, I always try to get 4x4 just because I never know when I might find myself on a slippery slope, muddy campgrounds, slick boat ramp, etc. The XLT trim is pretty basic, but does have a couple nice things like power windows and cruise control. My .02.

finn 07-20-2016 11:32 AM

You'll save a lot of money by looking for a 2wd with a gas engine over the "must have" 4x4 Diesel, and if the primary use is trailer towing, and not snow plowing, a 2wd will do the job.

I paid $4500 for my F350 Dually V10. No bells and whistles, but it pulls an 11k fifth wheel just fine.

Hoss416 07-20-2016 11:47 AM

How often are you going to tow and in what kind of terrain? Is the truck going to be a daily driver or a dedicated tow rig? What kind of budget are you working with?

Ron94150 07-20-2016 01:03 PM

This is my opinion, others will differ. I prefer a 6.2 gas powered. More reliable and less maintenance. If you feel you need a diesel, stay far away from the 6.4.

nonrev321 07-20-2016 01:42 PM

Hi,

My wife an I plan on being fully time Travel Trailer folks for 3 years or so as soon as we retire (soon). So we would be on the road probably 9 months or longer every years.

We plan on traveling the entire USA and maybe Canada and Alaska so the terrain will be anything from flatland to hilly and more

Thanks

Ron94150 07-20-2016 02:20 PM

Here is what you can expect out of a 6.2 gas. If I was going diesel, I would spend the extra money to get the 6.7. As much as you will be traveling, you can justify the extra cost of a diesel. You may know all about the newer diesels, but if not, you need to research the maintenance, dpf additive, regene cycles, and cost of repairs to make sure it is something you want. The power is fantastic, but you pay for it. This why I drive a 6.2 gas, but my needs are less than yours, and in your shoes, I would want the 6.7 diesel. But there are several members on this board towing loads heavier than you stated, regularly, with the 6.2 gas.

andym 07-20-2016 02:50 PM

If you plan on towing an 11,000# RV all over the country, then you need a 4x4 diesel. Do not even consider a gas truck or a 2wd truck.

At some point in your journey, you will encounter a muddy campground, an otherwise impassable dirt road, or chain control trying to cross a mountain pass in the winter. You need a 4x4 in all of these situations, especially if towing a trailer.

The diesel makes sense from an economic perspective and a power one. Economically, they are more fuel-efficient than a gas motor. I did a pretty detailed analysis in late 2014 when I was deciding between the two. You can probably find the thread I started on it. I think it was in the Excursion forum. Power-wise, there is no comparison pulling a heavy trailer like that when you get up past 4000 or 5000 feet. The air is much thinner up there, and a naturally aspirated motor struggles more and more. Because a diesel is turbocharged, it mostly negates this effect. The comparison becomes more pronounced the higher you go, and you will regret buying a truck with a gas motor when pulling your trailer at 25 MPH in the right lane with the hazards on at 9000 feet.

So now you have to decide which diesel engine you like. There are quite a few:

7.3L (1999-03): Legendary reliability. The transmission is a little weak but you can extend its life quite a bit with a larger cooler and a filter. Plenty of people run theirs to 300k and past on the original transmission so YMMV.

6.0L (2003-2009): These engines got a bad rap thanks to a bunch of problems at launch. Most of these issues have been resolved through updated tuning, and a few others have good aftermarket solutions. If you a selective, do your research, and spend the money for a process known as "bullet-proofing", you can end up with an engine that's very nearly as reliable as the 7.3L. As a bonus, the 6.0L comes with a much better and stronger transmission.

The 6.4L and 6.7L are engines I would avoid altogether unless you have very deep pockets. The 6.4L just wasn't a very good engine, and the 6.7L (2011-present) doesn't have the durability of previous engines and five-figure repair bills are common. If you plan on keeping the truck for a very long time, then I would especially avoid either of these two engines.

If I was going to buy a tow rig and pull 11,000# all over the country, I would find a nice '05 or newer truck with a 6.0 and have it bulletproofed.

Currently I have a 2000 Excursion with the 7.3L and I pull an 8,500# RV all over the US. I've been to both coasts and back and while I don't regret my decision, I would probably go with a 6.0 if I had to do it again.

BTW my truck has performed MOST impressively as a tow rig for almost a year and half now. It does everything I ask it to without complaint. Mechanical problems have been non-existent.

andym 07-20-2016 02:57 PM

You'll be better off the more research you do. I almost hate to recommend this guy's videos because he's so FOS on so many things, but there's a youtube poster by the name of powerstrokehelp that has some useful videos. His series on how to buy a used powerstroke is actually pretty good. But take everything he says with a grain of salt. Especially disregard his beliefs on changing the oil in the HPOP reservoir.

don123 07-20-2016 03:17 PM

Lots of guys on here using the 6.2 gas truck to tow that weight. That be my choice. 4.30 gears for that weight.

WyoBull 07-20-2016 03:31 PM

I live and pull at higher altitude in Wyoming and IMHO, the 6.2 with the 4.30 rear end is the way to go overall.
I personally would match my trailer size to that truck and not look back. Trust me, your maintenance costs will be a lot lower.

Coachhick 07-20-2016 04:12 PM

$40,000 won't get you anywhere close to the latest and greatest Ford. If it were me and I was looking to get the most bang for my buck and I had to have a Ford, then I would look for a 2011+ 6.2....any configuration. I'd try to find a 4x4 that fit my budget, and I would try to find a dually that fit my budget. The only way I would buy a diesel would be if I had $70,000 for the latest and greatest Ford

SportCustom 07-23-2016 03:09 PM

I am currently leaning toward the 4.30 gears for a 2017 Super Duty with the 6.2l gasoline engine for towing a 8,500 - 9,000 lb. (loaded) travel trailer. I ran across what seems to be a good article that helps with the 4.30 vs 3.73 gear ratio decision. It also seems that, based on owner testimony in forums, it appears that the move to 4.30 is substantially beneficial with loads over 8,000 - 8,500 lbs., especially in hilly or mountainous terrain (more testimony is always welcome). Of course, if you want to climb those hills faster, opt for the 4.30 gears sooner than that.

How to Pick Pickup Truck Axle Gear Ratios to Improve Performance

It'll be interesting to see what effect the 2017 6.2l with (reportedly) a little more max torque at a lower rpm (but with the same HP at a higher rpm?) will have on towing performance and towing economy! Still have not seen ford.com update with the new Super Duty 6.2l numbers yet.