Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Took the Montana out for first time and we have a problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1441580-took-the-montana-out-for-first-time-and-we-have-a-problem.html)

Andrew010 06-26-2016 12:28 PM

Took the Montana out for first time and we have a problem

I was completely expecting to have an a/c problem but was pleasantly surprised the a/c works great.

Unfortunately I have a different more serious problem. Bath grey tank won't drain!

Here's what I have and any input is appreciated.

Tank showed 1/3 full after 8 showers which I thought was a bit off so I figured I'd drain tank into portable tank and go dump it. I have a clear elbow to see what comes out and always use it. I hooked it up and cracked the valve. Nothing happened. Opened half way and got a trickle of blue/green ish foamy water. (Black tank is treated with blue juice). Somewhere around 1-2 gals no more than 3-5 came out and done. Thought no way so I left valve open and turned on sink. Nothing came out. Hmmmm what's going on.

Ok, decided it might need some pressure to get things moved. Ran water till tank shows full, it'll go now right. Nope. Pulled valve no dice.

So now I have 60-70 gals of shower water that I can't drain and worse yet I'm not done camping till July 5. I'm calling dealer in the morning to see if they'll send someone out to the site but I'm guessing not. I'm not against fixing myself just figured I'd ask here before just tearing the underbelly off and poking around.

golfmedik 06-26-2016 12:48 PM

Most Montanas have an inspection area of the underbelly that is easy to get into. I had the same problem with mine when I bought it. However, these units have to be level, if not nose up to drain. The drain line comes off the back of the tank. Try raising the front and see if anything comes out.

rvtec 06-26-2016 12:57 PM

Make sure of how many grey tanks you have. A lot of 5th wheels have more than one grey tank. Sometimes there is a 3rd valve that has to be pulled

System 06-26-2016 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by rvtec (Post 16383298)
Make sure of how many grey tanks you have. A lot of 5th wheels have more than one grey tank. Sometimes there is a 3rd valve that has to be pulled

This is what I was thinking and sometimes the pull handle isn't with the others in the docking station. This happened a couple of times to buyers of XLRs with floorplans that included a second half bath. One guy had his rear tank full to right below the toilet and no joy when he pulled the black tank valve handle. His dealer didn't know and therefor never told him about the second black tank valve handle hidden behind his tires in the ODS wheel well coming through the frame. He had a total of 4 valves but only 3 were in the docking station. This might have nothing to do with your situation but it sounded familiar enough that I thought I'd mention it.

I don't think it's a level issue. If it was out of level it may not drain completely but with that much water in the tank, it would drain quite a bit.

Another thought is that it's the cable that connects the valve to the handle. If it's come loose on either end, the valve won't open. I'd start by looking behind the handle and if it's good there, find the valve coming off the grey tank and make sure the cable is still connected and the valve is physically opening. If it is, then I've heard of one last (bad) scenario where the knock out of the tank was never removed. That's one you want to let the dealer fight with...

Andrew010 06-26-2016 03:20 PM

This one is same as the last. 2 grey handles and 1 black. Black and shower are in convenience center and kitchen is back by the axles. Kitchen tank dumps fine. Black I don't know yet, I don't dump black into portable tank.

Shower grey tank handle has been pulled 50 times at this point and no dice. Tank keeps filling everytime water is ran in bath. Pulling handle does nothing.

In response to inspection area, any idea where? I've looked everywhere and don't see anything that looks removable except taking off entire underbelly cover. Which looks like what will have to happen.

I'm hoping it's something simple like the cable broke etc but my fear is something is clogging the tank since a little water came out at first, now nothing comes out.

Andrew010 06-26-2016 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by golfmedik (Post 16383277)
Most Montanas have an inspection area of the underbelly that is easy to get into. I had the same problem with mine when I bought it. However, these units have to be level, if not nose up to drain. The drain line comes off the back of the tank. Try raising the front and see if anything comes out.

You had the same problem - pull handle and tank doesn't drain?

If yes, how was it fixed?

Andrew010 06-26-2016 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 16383395)
This is what I was thinking and sometimes the pull handle isn't with the others in the docking station. This happened a couple of times to buyers of XLRs with floorplans that included a second half bath. One guy had his rear tank full to right below the toilet and no joy when he pulled the black tank valve handle. His dealer didn't know and therefor never told him about the second black tank valve handle hidden behind his tires in the ODS wheel well coming through the frame. He had a total of 4 valves but only 3 were in the docking station. This might have nothing to do with your situation but it sounded familiar enough that I thought I'd mention it.

I don't think it's a level issue. If it was out of level it may not drain completely but with that much water in the tank, it would drain quite a bit.

Another thought is that it's the cable that connects the valve to the handle. If it's come loose on either end, the valve won't open. I'd start by looking behind the handle and if it's good there, find the valve coming off the grey tank and make sure the cable is still connected and the valve is physically opening. If it is, then I've heard of one last (bad) scenario where the knock out of the tank was never removed. That's one you want to let the dealer fight with...

I'm pretty sure the knock out was at minimum mostly out as some water came out at first. My fear is the knockout was broken out but not removed and now plugging up the outlet....

I'd imagine the tank would have to be removed and fixed/replaced and I'm sure that's not a quick fix.

Guess we'll see what dealer says tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath.

golfmedik 06-26-2016 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew010 (Post 16383573)
You had the same problem - pull handle and tank doesn't drain?

If yes, how was it fixed?

I had to level mine. Slightly nose down it will not drain at all! If it is quiet, stand on the door side and have someone pull the handles, sometimes you can hear the valve move.
If your Montana has a drop frame, the inspection area will be about 2-3 feet in length and should be where the drop starts going to the nose. You can tell as it has screws in the chloroplast as opposed to the new nails they've shot it them.

Andrew010 06-26-2016 06:13 PM

My unit is still in the site and leveled according to the auto level.

I did see the screwed in portion on the drop frame but was thinking you meant a small area to flip open so to speak. Mine is screwed all the way across and would drop a piece 4-5 ft long as wide as the frame.

If dealer doesn't send someone out tomorrow I'll drop the belly and take a look around.

golfmedik 06-26-2016 07:23 PM

If you drop that area, you should be able to see the valve pretty easily. Watch them while someone else pulls the handle to make sure the cable isn't broken or the connection at the cable/valve is good.

jonrjen 06-26-2016 08:43 PM

Have you tried asking your question over on a Montana Owners Forum?

Andrew010 06-27-2016 01:44 PM

Dealer is sending service tech out this afternoon. It was like pulling teeth to get them to send someone out so not holding my breath for it getting fixing but fingers still crossed.

Said they will pull the underbelly and see what can be done. Hopefully something simple and back in business.

System 06-27-2016 01:46 PM

It's a start Andrew. I hope it works out for you...

Andrew010 06-27-2016 01:49 PM

I asked them to bring a pump and worse case we can pump it out into portable tank and at least have empty tank for this weekend and be able to shower. Said he would bring one if they had one. Not sure how easy it'll be to pump it out but at least another option.

Lawrencew 06-27-2016 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew010 (Post 16385738)
I asked them to bring a pump and worse case we can pump it out into portable tank and at least have empty tank for this weekend and be able to shower. Said he would bring one if they had one. Not sure how easy it'll be to pump it out but at least another option.

You won't need the pump! My spider sense is telling me when you remove access cover there will be an ah ha moment and all will be good before you can pour a good Canadian whiskey