Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   Possible very dumb question... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1441018-possible-very-dumb-question.html)

cpskully 06-21-2016 05:28 PM

Possible very dumb question...

Hey all, long time lurker (thanks for all the tips) first time poster.

I have a very weird question that I cant seem to find any info on. It might be because its probably a huge resounding NO WAY. So here goes:

A guy near me is selling a great set of parts that is basically EVERYTHING I want for my truck (1961 f100 Stepside). It includes a brand new set of fat white walls with nice powdercoated rims, and a complete suspension including a dropped axle with front disc conversion, and a flipped/lowered rear axle. Its cheap too.

THE CATCH? its from a 55 Chevy Apache. :-arrgh

I guess my question is: how much fabrication would be involved to fit this on my f100? Am i crazy to even think of it??

gangstakr 06-21-2016 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by cpskully (Post 16373046)
Hey all, long time lurker (thanks for all the tips) first time poster.

I have a very weird question that I cant seem to find any info on. It might be because its probably a huge resounding NO WAY. So here goes:

A guy near me is selling a great set of parts that is basically EVERYTHING I want for my truck (1961 f100 Stepside). It includes a brand new set of fat white walls with nice powdercoated rims, and a complete suspension including a dropped axle with front disc conversion, and a flipped/lowered rear axle. Its cheap too.

THE CATCH? its from a 55 Chevy Apache. :-arrgh

I guess my question is: how much fabrication would be involved to fit this on my f100? Am i crazy to even think of it??

Probably, why do you ask?

cpskully 06-21-2016 06:24 PM

Well... I would like to buy it cheap and knock out a lot of my build purchasing in one very cheap batch. But if I cant use any of it other than the tires, its no longer a good deal.

g4g2g7 06-21-2016 06:56 PM

Anything can be made to fit with enough time, effort, and additional money. You need to start with some initial basic research on your end...track width of the Chevy stuff vs Ford, distance between spring mounts on axles, is the Chevy rear a leaf spring set-up or had they gone to truck arms by then?, etc. This list is just a drop in the bucket of what you need to look into. You're probably looking for an easy yes/no answer for which the quick answer is No, it won't fit, but back to my earlier comments, some research (& actual measurements of the stuff you are looking to buy) will tell you whether or not you can MAKE it work with some extra fab work.

cpskully 06-21-2016 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by g4g2g7 (Post 16373228)
Anything can be made to fit with enough time, effort, and additional money. You need to start with some initial basic research on your end...track width of the Chevy stuff vs Ford, distance between spring mounts on axles, is the Chevy rear a leaf spring set-up or had they gone to truck arms by then?, etc. This list is just a drop in the bucket of what you need to look into. You're probably looking for an easy yes/no answer for which the quick answer is No, it won't fit, but back to my earlier comments, some research (& actual measurements of the stuff you are looking to buy) will tell you whether or not you can MAKE it work with some extra fab work.

Yeah.. ill have to take a lot of measurements and go check the setup out. everything LOOKS eerily similar to my axles/leafs/shocks in the pics, but we all know a few inches will cause a lot of headaches. Thank you!