Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   DEF Half full, Truck went into 500mi Countdown (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1440146-def-half-full-truck-went-into-500mi-countdown.html)

Dakster 06-28-2016 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ep120794 (Post 16388756)
Wes what did your dealer say? I have a 2016 with 1500 miles on it and I am getting the Def 500 miles message

Did you fill it up with DEF? Most likely during PDI, the dealer didn't top it off, the trucks are not shipped from Ford with a full DEF tank.

While you might call them up and see if they will comp you a 2.5 gal jug, I'd probably just fill it up on my own and not waste my time in dropping it off. Now if it doesn't clear or it takes a gallon of DEF and overflows.... You may be visiting the dealer.

--

Deleting is a tough call for me too. I don't like EGR's in diesels, I don't like that a NOX, EGT, or DEF level sensor can leave me stranded. At the same time, I don't really want to modify the truck either. I like no smoke out the back, not smelling unburned fuel, less particulate matter in my families lungs, and not putting NOX in the atmosphere either. Diesel already have a bad rap, and my feeling is VW just killed them in cars for good in the US. I am not against someone else deleting, just sharing why I most likely never will.

David_ski 06-28-2016 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dakster (Post 16388817)
Did you fill it up with DEF? Most likely during PDI, the dealer didn't top it off, the trucks are not shipped from Ford with a full DEF tank.

While you might call them up and see if they will comp you a 2.5 gal jug, I'd probably just fill it up on my own and not waste my time in dropping it off. Now if it doesn't clear or it takes a gallon of DEF and overflows.... You may be visiting the dealer.

--

That is my recommendation too. Add DEF until full and see if the message goes away. Mine triggered at 1,777 miles. My guess is that FORD puts in ~2/3 full of a tank of DEF at the factory. If the error message doesn't go away, then schedule a trip to the dealer.

senix 06-28-2016 06:31 PM

in this latest case I would attempt a fill.

caverjoe 10-07-2016 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=senix;16358873]I would have waiting and see if it would correct itself.

Especially since you knew you had more in there.

One reason I don't even bother filling till it gets down to

caverjoe 10-07-2016 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nipperdog (Post 16358784)
I always keep on top of the DEF level on my 2016 F250 and never had this happen before. I was coming home the other day, and a message popped up saying that I was going into a 500mi DEF Countdown. I knew that there must have been at least 2.5 Gallons of DEF on board, since I checked the Level prior to making the 300mi round Trip and got an OK reading. So when I got back Home we dumped in a 2.5gal Jug of DEF, and she overflowed with about a quart of fluid left in the Jug. Has anyone else experienced this, and is it a defect with the DEF system. Hate to fix it if it isn't broke................Lew

Exactly what happened to me and then it never reset had to take it to the dealership and have them reset it $75

rdlouks 10-08-2016 07:28 AM

You can add my 2016 F-350 to this list. Got the "500 Mile" message shortly after hauling my fiver about 350 to 400 miles home. I thought it was a bit odd because I had just had it serviced and the dealer topped off the DEF tank. Bought a 2.5 gallon of Motorcraft DEF from my local dealer. I filled the tank and it stopped filling after putting in about 1 to 1.5 gallons. (I use the Ford/Motorcraft fill spout that all but eliminates spilling/overflow)
Have not had anymore messages.

Dakster 10-08-2016 02:43 PM

If you didn't have to go to the dealer to get it reset then you are OK rdlouks.

Wonder if draining most of the DEF out, starting the truck, then refilling it would clear the message. Then the truck should "see" a refill event.

WesC. 08-13-2017 07:24 AM

Dealer filled the DEF tank without me asking and put the jug in the back because it did not take the whole 2.5 gal. This was the "free" oil service I got when buying the truck. The kid at the dealer check in knew nothing about 1500 miles and 1/2 full warning message. Since then however, I have been tracking it close and have been getting less then 4K miles on 5gals of DEF. Daily commuter, 30 miles a day.
One day under the truck, I noticed a great deal of caked on white crystals around the Reductant Injector on the DPF. This is where the hose from the DEF tank enters the exhaust system. So, I'm guessing I have a DEF leak at the injector. Going to make an appointment with the dealer when I can.

PTaylor883 10-10-2017 01:50 PM

I have had this problem twice in 70k miles

The first time I had this problem was at 53k miles. I limped into the dealer in idle mode. They re-programed the computer and charged me $150.65. The second time was at 69k miles, but I got to a dealer before I went into idle mode. This time, they did two manual re-gens of the exhaust filter and charged me $181.04. The technician's only advice was to use Motorcraft DEF exclusively because it has excellent purity. The DEF I have been using since day-1 was bulk DEF from truck stops. He also recommend that I store the DEF out of the sunlight, and use it before it is 6 months old.

I'll follow his advice, even though it is more expensive and less convenient. AND keep my fingers crossed. He didn't mention the frequency in which you fill your tank as being an issue.

jav_eee 10-10-2017 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by PTaylor883
He didn't mention the frequency in which you fill your tank as being an issue.

But the manual does. I believe it says to wait until half-full or less before refilling.

senix 10-10-2017 02:52 PM

DEF is the same regardless of location or label. Just check it for freshness.

HRTKD 10-10-2017 03:49 PM

DEF does have a shelf life. So you don't want to buy in bulk and have it sitting around for too long. A quick Google search found this:

DEF will degrade over time depending on temperature and exposure to sun light. Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec 22241-3 are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. If stored between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily be one year.

Nipperdog 12-04-2017 07:52 AM

Did it Again

It went into a 500mi Countdown again Yesterday (3rd time). I wanted to wait until the DEF Tank was Really empty and Fill it to Capacity, but the Truck is Reading 1/2 a Tank as if it were empty. It took about 2 Gallons of Fluid to top it off and Kill the Countdown. I will have the problem addressed when I bring it in for normal Service

djousma 12-04-2017 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nipperdog (Post 17632300)
It went into a 500mi Countdown again Yesterday (3rd time). I wanted to wait until the DEF Tank was Really empty and Fill it to Capacity, but the Truck is Reading 1/2 a Tank as if it were empty. It took about 2 Gallons of Fluid to top it off and Kill the Countdown. I will have the problem addressed when I bring it in for normal Service

This has happened to me a few times now in my 2016, never happened in my 2011. For me, its always at some point after extended towing my fifth wheel. I think the computer gets confused due to the higher usage when towing, because in the winter months, when I am not towing, I do not have these problems at all. When it occurs, I just fill to the top, and it resets itself. Otherwise, I tend to wait until refill when I get this message in a legit fashion.

Nipperdog 12-04-2017 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by djousma (Post 17632374)
This has happened to me a few times now in my 2016, never happened in my 2011. For me, its always at some point after extended towing my fifth wheel. I think the computer gets confused due to the higher usage when towing, because in the winter months, when I am not towing, I do not have these problems at all. When it occurs, I just fill to the top, and it resets itself. Otherwise, I tend to wait until refill when I get this message in a legit fashion.

All 3 times that it has Occured the Truck was not Loaded or Towing. I was hoping that the condition would Self Correct, but it hasn't happened. I'm a little hesitant to have the Truck Re Flashed because the 6.7 is running real Sweet and I would rather just Dump in a Jug of DEF to Kill the Countdown, than to disturb the current Program.