Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Broken rear main leaf spring (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1438215-broken-rear-main-leaf-spring.html)

xaviar 06-02-2016 06:20 AM

Broken rear main leaf spring

Well, as the title says. Took my truck to get inspected. Tech found broken leaf on right side. He wanted 600.00 buck to fix it. Asked me all kinds of questions about how it rides. I said no sway, doesn't lean etc, etc. He said, well. You gotta fix it then. Kind of a jerk too.

Spring had to be broken as long as I've owned the truck, (4 years now) cause there is no sign of a fresh break.

Question asoon to the best and fastest why of removing the spring. As, looks like ford had a better idea when putting the bolts through the shackles too. :-roll

Any ideas.

Thx, FTE

MisterCMK 06-02-2016 07:14 AM

Best way is to remove the bolts and then remove the spring.

I had 2 broken main leafs on my truck. Replaced both Springs and all was well. I used junior and ats

ATS Junior 06-02-2016 08:33 AM

$600.00???? Good lord that is high. For that type of money I could set you up with all new suspension all around.

To make your life easy just cut all the old spring eye bolts off and the U-bolts. Get a new main leaf (if that is the route you want or get a whole new pack) and get a new center bolt. No need to waste your time and try salvaging your old bolts. Feel free to give me a call or send me a message, I would be more than happy to help you out.

-Junior

FiznUKa 06-02-2016 08:33 AM

Remove the spring and shackle as one unit. The top shackle bolt needs to go from the inside out or it will hit the frame and spring hanger with the extra threads coming out of the nut. The hardest part is lifting the truck I had the help of a forklift so it made it easy.

xaviar 06-02-2016 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ATS Junior (Post 16329266)
$600.00???? Good lord that is high. For that type of money I could set you up with all new suspension all around.

To make your life easy just cut all the old spring eye bolts off and the U-bolts. Get a new main leaf (if that is the route you want or get a whole new pack) and get a new center bolt. No need to waste your time and try salvaging your old bolts. Feel free to give me a call or send me a message, I would be more than happy to help you out.

-Junior

Nice talking with you Junior. Thx for the help with my situation. Appreciate it. Can't wait to get the new springs and hardware installed. :-X22

BLADE35 06-02-2016 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ATS Junior (Post 16329266)

-Junior

:-hijacked

Hey I need Front Leaf springs for my 03

I have 10 Leafs in the lift I have Now its 6"
Looking for something with ez ride for 6" lift

Can you Hook that Up Im about 4 weeks out from Buying them so trying to get my ducks in a row:-X22

ATS Junior 06-03-2016 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by xaviar (Post 16329901)
Nice talking with you Junior. Thx for the help with my situation. Appreciate it. Can't wait to get the new springs and hardware installed. :-X22

No problem! Happy to help, let me know if you need assistance with anything. I'm just a phone call away. Have a good road trip! :-drink

ATS Junior 06-03-2016 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by BLADE35 (Post 16330719)
:-hijacked

Hey I need Front Leaf springs for my 03

I have 10 Leafs in the lift I have Now its 6"
Looking for something with ez ride for 6" lift

Can you Hook that Up Im about 4 weeks out from Buying them so trying to get my ducks in a row:-X22

Sent you a PM!

acf6 06-03-2016 08:56 PM

On my buddies truck on the rear springs, rear bolts, we just ended up cutting the bolt and getting new bolts and putting them in from the outside...like they should have been from the factory

xaviar 06-04-2016 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by acf6 (Post 16333235)
On my buddies truck on the rear springs, rear bolts, we just ended up cutting the bolt and getting new bolts and putting them in from the outside...like they should have been from the factory

Yep. That's what I'll end up doing? Another Ford bright idea!! And they pay designers and engineers to come up with this stuff. My 8 year old daughter can do better!!

Thx, everyone.