Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   96 F150 clutch issues (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1437934-96-f150-clutch-issues.html)

Rexor 05-31-2016 01:48 PM

96 F150 clutch issues

I have had my 96 F150 since 2005 and bought it with 100,000 miles on it (back in high school). Since then I have put almost another 100,0000 miles on it with no major issues (aside from a blown head gasket).

At somewhere around 130,000 miles I had a new clutch put in by some chain mechanic shop. After the clutch was changed (and upgraded to an 11" disc) I was informed the clutch was in OK condition but the slave cylinder was all messed up.

For the past 70,000 miles or so there has been no issues with the clutch whatsoever. Recently, however I have noticed that the engagement point on the clutch tends to go to the top of the range and start slipping after a short period of city driving (lots of shifting). Normally, I would just assume its caused by the clutch plate being worn down and needing replacement. However, every day I start it up and drive it the engagement point is somewhere in the upper-middle of the range and never slips, even in highway driving uphill in 5th gear.

So I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas of the cause of this strange issue, other than the likely situation of needing a new clutch kit and slave cylinder. As far as I can tell, there are no leaks and the fluid level is full. Additionally, I HAVE had to replace the clutch linkage to the master cylinder with an aftermarket replacement. This issue has also suspiciously developed soon after the installation of the new linkage. Any input would be much appreciated. :oval

Thanks!

Jagesage 05-31-2016 03:19 PM

It's just a matter of the stop and go and the clutch heating up. As the clutch and flywheel get hot from constant releasing of the pedal it will start slipping. Mine would do it from time to time, and I replaced the clutch once in 250,000 miles. Just stripped the truck down and actually got the tranny out of it today and the disc is completely fine

twigsV10 05-31-2016 03:59 PM

I would be suspicious of the aftermarket clutch linkage, is it letting the master cylinder fully retract? Fluid expands when heated....

'89F2urd 05-31-2016 03:59 PM

The clutch shouldn't slip no matter how much shifting you're doing. It's possible to have a disc that's fine but the springs in the pressure plate are weak and the extra heat is too much for them to handle....springs don't like heat.

Your clutch is worn out- could be springs, could be disc, could be both. Furthermore, the springs don't apply as much pressure as the disc wears.

Motorhead351 06-01-2016 04:53 AM

My question would be, what are you referring to, when you say "aftermarket clutch linkage"?