Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Best flaring tool comprimise (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1437517-best-flaring-tool-comprimise.html)

4DB 05-28-2016 03:21 PM

Best flaring tool comprimise

Guys, my truck has been down for more than a week because of bad inverted flares on 3/16" tubing. My old Ridgid tool works acceptably well on 1/4" tubing but won't make a decent 3/16" flare even by accident. Until I get this problem resolved I've got no brakes in the truck (and it's not like the tool is worn out; I've never used it for 3/16" tubing before this project).

I either need a flaring tool of acceptable quality or switch the truck over to AN hoses, which I would have already done if I could find the fitting to match the Ford MC.

Anybody got any suggestions? The truck is my '90 C-350.

bashby 05-28-2016 03:40 PM

You can get an OEM brand through the free toolrental program at autozone or advance. Worth a shot. You can also get pre flared sections of tubing and piece them together with unions. If you are doing a long run this way ive had the best luck by estimating the length, buy pices that should come up 1-2 feet short, then work from both ends leaving a section out wher you can make a zig zag or loop in case a premade line isnt exactly right.

4DB 05-28-2016 03:59 PM

I should have included that it's 70 miles to anything other than a Napa (and 35 miles to the closest Napa).

I have pieced some stuff together, but there's no way (that I've thought of) to get around the fact that the brake master cylinder doesn't use 3/8" fittings on the 3/16" tubing. There either has to be an adaptor (no luck there), or you have to put the old fittings on the new tubing and flare, at least, that one end of tubing on both tubes.

I'll send $20 to the first person to point out either the right adapter (FORD 9/16"nut for 3/16 tube x 3/8" tube nut, with the right 9/16" thread pitch, or the same thread/adaptor characteristics that would let me go straight to a -3 or -4 AN hose from the master cylinder.

Short of an adapter, I gotta get an acceptable flaring tool. :(

bashby 05-28-2016 04:07 PM

Napa should have a bunch of short lines with different size fittings on each end. Get them to pull a master cyl off the shelf and see if they have an adapter line that screws into it and has the standard fitting on the other end.

4DB 05-28-2016 04:27 PM

Alright, I'll do that. They didn't make any offers yesterday when I was down there, but I'll ask them about that specifically on Monday morning.

bashby 05-28-2016 04:43 PM

They might be closed monday.

4DB 05-28-2016 05:07 PM

Damn! Another day lost.

White 97 xlt 05-28-2016 05:13 PM

If they are like the NAPA stores I have been in, the brand name will be Bridgeport for the adapters.. Good luck!!!

f100today 05-28-2016 09:49 PM

Mastercool flaring tool. Similar to the Eastwood vise mount tool but can be used on the vehicle. NiCopp line. The easiest line to bend and flare bar by far.

4DB 05-29-2016 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by f100today (Post 16318946)
Mastercool flaring tool. Similar to the Eastwood vise mount tool but can be used on the vehicle. NiCopp line. The easiest line to bend and flare bar by far.

Yeah, that's the tool I would like to have (I think), and why I used the word compromise in the thread title! ;) Twenty years ago I would have just bought the damn thing, but in more than 40 years of wrenching I've needed something like that maybe twice. On the flip side though, if the truck still isn't drivable by the end of the coming week, I'm pretty sure one of these will be heading to SW Colorado.

tjc transport 05-29-2016 09:39 AM

i use the cal-van in line flaring tool:
there are cheaper ones that only do 3 sizes: and some that only do one size

the in line flare tool makes a perfect flare every time.
i do not even know where the old otc clamp tool is, i have not see it in over 20 years.

88_F0RD 05-29-2016 03:21 PM

I used a cheap flaring tool from O'Rileys, it is a two step flaring tool.

and a 25 foot roll of steel brake line and made what I needed.

the old fittings that were on, I replaced from O'Rileys....

one thing I found out is that if you split the flare, it will leak and you'll have to cut the line and re-flare. do it right the first time!

I replaced a lot of rusty brake line on mine that had been pieced together, easier just to make one solid brake line from a 25 foot roll,

and sometimes when you piece together brake line, you still have to reflare because the line will be too long.

3/16ths line is so small that you can pretty much bend it to any shape you want without using a tubing bender, just dont kink/pinch the line closed.....

f100today 05-29-2016 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 88_F0RD (Post 16320115)
I used a cheap flaring tool from O'Rileys, it is a two step flaring tool.

and a 25 foot roll of steel brake line and made what I needed.

the old fittings that were on, I replaced from O'Rileys....

one thing I found out is that if you split the flare, it will leak and you'll have to cut the line and re-flare. do it right the first time!

I replaced a lot of rusty brake line on mine that had been pieced together, easier just to make one solid brake line from a 25 foot roll,

and sometimes when you piece together brake line, you still have to reflare because the line will be too long.

3/16ths line is so small that you can pretty much bend it to any shape you want without using a tubing bender, just dont kink/pinch the line closed.....

NiCopp......you won't ever split it and it will never rust.

tjc transport 05-29-2016 07:46 PM

that is all i have been using for the past 10-11 years. no more replacing lines every 2-3 years after putting the alloy lines on

4DB 05-30-2016 09:11 AM

I stumbled across this little device. It only does 3/16" line, but that's all that's on these trucks anyway. For $40, it may be worth a try.

Eastwood On Car Flaring Tool for 3/16 Tubing

http://www.eastwood.com/media/catalo...e95/p47213.jpg