Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Rear Wiper Arm Cover (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/143708-rear-wiper-arm-cover.html)

Falstaff 08-15-2003 06:26 PM

Rear Wiper Arm Cover

Anyone know where to get a replacement for the palstic cover that goes over the rear window wiper arm nut on 98 Explorer?

HomerWinzlow 08-15-2003 07:31 PM

Rear Wiper Arm Cover

2 choices that I know of. Salvage yard or buy a new arm which comes with it. The second choice may not be a bad idea, since they tend to get weak and wont clear the glass properly after so long.

Lesebre 08-16-2003 08:01 AM

Rear Wiper Arm Cover

Should be able to get a replacement at your local Ford dealer. I lost mine on a 02; cost to replace was $17.56.

PaulzF150 09-19-2003 09:02 PM

Rear Wiper Arm Cover

I have a 2002 Explorer. The rear window wiper doesn't work and will hang straight down. Does anyone know how to remove that plastic cover that is on the inside of the liftgate? I would like to check the wiper assembly, and need to remove this cover to get to it. Thanks everybody!

HomerWinzlow 09-19-2003 09:05 PM

Rear Wiper Arm Cover

If it is hanging straight down the nut is just loose on the arm. Pull straight up on the nut cover on the arm and reset it into the park position and tighten the nut snugly. Then check to see if it works. Make sure the switch is in the off position when you shut the vehicle off so the motor will be in the proper park position when you secure the arm.

PaulzF150 09-19-2003 10:05 PM

Rear Wiper Arm Cover

HomerWinzlow,

Is the nut cover that you are referring to, that round piece of black plastic at the base of the wiper arm? Looks like I have to remove the wiper arm to get that cover off. Or is the nut cover the long piece of plastic on the inside of the window. BTW, thanks for your help.

PaulzF150 09-19-2003 10:19 PM

Rear Wiper Arm Cover

HomerWinzlow,

You da man! Disregard my previous reply. I found the cover you were referring to. That nut was very loose. It is fine now.
Bear with me. I just got this truck. But how do you operate the rear wiper? The only way I can operate the thing is when cleaning the rear window. The wiper moves slowly. I have read posts about problems with the rear wiper motors. Thanks again!

HomerWinzlow 09-20-2003 12:21 PM

Rear Wiper Arm Cover

Rear window wiper/washer controls
For rear wiper operation, rotate the
rear window wiper and washer
control to the desired position.
Select:
INT 1 — 3–4 second interval rear
wiper.
INT 2 — 8–10 second interval rear
wiper.
OFF — Rear wiper and washer off.
For rear wash cycle, rotate (and
hold as desired) the rear wiper/washer control to either position.
From either position, the control will automatically return to the INT 2
or OFF position.

PaulzF150 09-20-2003 02:51 PM

Rear Wiper Arm Cover

I went back outside and fooled with the settings. Is is working, but slow. This truck has an extended bumper to bumper warranty from Warranty Gold on it. I am going to have the wiper motor checked at the dealer, it groans quite a bit. The truck is due for its 35,000 maintenance anyway. You have been a great help. Thanks again! This issue is my first post in this forum. I have an '85 F150 that I am fixing up, I am usually posting questions in the 1980-1986 forum. This site is the best!