Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Spring cruisin' (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1436784-spring-cruisin.html)

tip49 05-23-2016 01:11 PM

Spring cruisin'

Had a nice day Friday, so cruised in the '50 truck.

About the third time I've been out with it since winter. Truck purred along, it likes slightly cooler weather.

Got up Saturday to rain, as I walked past truck I noticed the sound of the electric fuel pump being on. Quickly disconnected battery cable and checked ignition key, but it was off. Pump is wired through ignition on, then through roll over switch.

Fault must be in ignition switch (original) or shorted to another hot all times wire.

Did not get a chance to trouble shoot , as it snowed all day Sunday ! I worked on the '59 Beetle all weekend and got it running this morning. Have a rattle" in the re-built motor, that I thought I cured by removing engine and replacing clutch pressure plate, Nope. :-huh

I love this hobby !

Tom

ALBUQ F-1 05-23-2016 02:02 PM

I hope the fuel pump didn't pump your engine full of fuel!

tip49 06-05-2016 12:45 AM

Trouble shooting

Started looking for the issue with my fuel pump today, pulled relays, replace EEC and will buy new relays Monday, Took time to rewire the cab under dash. Measured contacts on both fuel pump relay and EEC relay. Both seem defective , as they have continuity across control contacts in de-energized state. hope replacing them solves problem, as weather is right for cruising.

Tom

ben73058 06-05-2016 07:22 AM

Hey Tom,
Hmmm... You know the thing that concerned me the most - It's still snowing
at the end of May! That's crazy & horrible all at the same time. You'll fix that
electric fuel problem - not sure what you can do about it snowing in the summer.
I hear South Florida is nice this time of year....

Hang in there & keep us posted on the electric problem & the snow...

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

ALBUQ F-1 06-05-2016 11:24 AM

That's mighty suspicious that both relays went south at the same time?! Is it possible the contacts fused together because of too much current? Does your FP draw a lot more than stock Ford? Might be worth opening the relays to see how they failed.

tip49 06-05-2016 08:23 PM

current draw on fuel pump

Ross, not sure what the current draw is on the fuel pump. but fusing held. I read that the EEC might be the problem, if EEC relay picks up before ignition is on so I used my spare. I haven't checked the relay circuit power with key off. May go out and verify now. I think the fuel pump relay gets power from EEC relay when ignition is on.

Stay tuned

bobbytnm 06-05-2016 08:54 PM

Sorry to hear of your fuel pump woes.

How does the EEC control the fuel pump? Does it energize the circuit or ground the circuit. My guess would be that the computer controls the ground side......but, I've been wrong before (just ask my wife....LOL)

Good luck with it
Bobby

tip49 06-18-2016 08:32 PM

One problem solved

Had time to look into fuel pump relay gremlin yesterday; metered out circuit for EEC relay and Fuel pump relay.
Bobby, fuel pump relay gets power when EEC relay picks up; from ignition switch ON. The reading I did said the EEC relay gets ground from EEC but wiring diagram and tracing show the ground goes directly back to the battery.

So with battery disconnected, I started looking for ground issue in the EEC relay first, it would stay on after ignition turned off ?? I started fooling around with wires under dash, and inadvertently moved the signal assembly, relay turned off ! Pulled assembly apart and tried to clear the wiring to the light, it seems to be a hot wire being grounded in the assembly. That didn't work so disconnecedt light circuit for now, but still have signals.

Plugged fuel relay in with switch off and fuel pump started up ?? So tested relay and it seemed good, but noticed after some time, that the wiring harness was supplying hot to the out going wire to the pump?? Changed wire lead to appropriate spot on relay and voila. I replace the fuel pump relay, but there must be different configurations for different years.

Cruised for rest of the day ! Sorry for long post :-X22

bobbytnm 06-19-2016 07:28 PM

Excellent!
I'm glad you were able to work it out

Happy motoring
Bobby

tip49 06-20-2016 10:15 PM

Wipers and speedo

Opted to ptu the electric wipers back in this weekend; couldn't get the vacuum pump working properly, so made some adjustments to the mounting bracket and put in the electric motor. Works for now, until the first rain storm, probably.

Also put the instrument cluster back in yet again, and now have speedometer working ! It reads about 5-10 mph too high but I can calibrate with the electronic sender.

Made a few miles in the truck, the last couple evenings; weather is perfect for it.

Changed oil and may have fixed slow leak in transmission plug, fingers crossed.

Tom

ALBUQ F-1 06-21-2016 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by tip49 (Post 16371487)
Opted to ptu the electric wipers back in this weekend; couldn't get the vacuum pump working properly, so made some adjustments to the mounting bracket and put in the electric motor. Works for now, until the first rain storm, probably.

Tom

Exactly what happened to me on the drive back from Truckstock '13! The other wiper fell off too and was run over by a semi......

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...30f8c32163.jpg

Cougar54 06-21-2016 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 16372561)
Exactly what happened to me on the drive back from Truckstock '13! The other wiper fell off too and was run over by a semi......

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...30f8c32163.jpg

Ross, I'm sure that wasn't funny then but made me laugh when I read it. And I thought these type of things only happened to me . . . ;)