Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   A new strategy for dealing with exhaust filter cleaning (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1434350-a-new-strategy-for-dealing-with-exhaust-filter-cleaning.html)

radium 05-06-2016 06:02 PM

A new strategy for dealing with exhaust filter cleaning

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but here we go since the Ford dealer has flashed my truck with the newest update to stop the Jackhammer in which of course it never had. I am now treated to an annual 280 mile filter cleaning they don't last long. Now since I'm doing a lot of around town driving top speed only 35 to 40 I'm trying to lock 6th and 5th gear out so the engine gets up to about 1800 to 2000 RPM to hurry along the cleaning process any harm in doing that? it certainly cuts the cleaning time dramatically just want to make sure I'm not hurting anything takes it down to about 6 minutes from an average 15 to 20 thanks again take care

Ricohman 05-06-2016 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by radium (Post 16265088)
I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but here we go since the Ford dealer has flashed my truck with the newest update to stop the Jackhammer in which of course it never had. I am now treated to an annual 280 mile filter cleaning they don't last long. Now since I'm doing a lot of around town driving top speed only 35 to 40 I'm trying to lock 6th and 5th gear out so the engine gets up to about 1800 to 2000 RPM to hurry along the cleaning process any harm in doing that? it certainly cuts the cleaning time dramatically just want to make sure I'm not hurting anything takes it down to about 6 minutes from an average 15 to 20 thanks again take care

Annual? For 280 miles?

senix 05-06-2016 07:19 PM

Raising the RPM's has always been a good strategy to deal with the regen.

Idea is to get the fuel down the exhaust and not in the oil.

radium 05-07-2016 04:58 AM

Once again thanks for the correction didn't realize annual would be taken literally, but obviously someone understood what I was trying to convey. Anyhow thanks for the advice I didn't think it could hurt anything it's not like it's approaching anywhere near the red line I just didn't know if it was a good idea to hold 2100 RPM while filter cleaning is occurring with the added heat in the motor take care

radium 05-07-2016 05:00 AM

One other point I forgot to make I will probably be deleting this entire system due to the simple fact I cannot go back to the old Flash was told by the Ford dealer I was doing about 800 miles between filter cleaning that's why the mileage was so great I can't afford a 280 mile filter cleaning issue no thanks sorry EPA I'll be another one of those people without the system , my dealer says he'll work with me for any warranty issues that don't fall underneath obviously the emissions

ruschejj 05-07-2016 05:09 AM

You might want to pump your brakes a bit on deleting your emissions equip.

The cost per mile hit from the new flash won't be as much money as it costs you to run the big 35's, fuel additives, etc... You'll never make $3k back when just trying to justify the mpg hit.

Give it some time and see how it goes for the next 2 months. It might rebound. I think new flashes like that do a "recondition" of the dpf, kind of like a re calibration.

senix 05-07-2016 05:45 AM

mpg's before the reflash...and what are they now?

Pocket 05-07-2016 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by radium (Post 16265088)
I am now treated to an annual 280 mile filter cleaning they don't last long. Now since I'm doing a lot of around town driving top speed only 35 to 40

Originally Posted by radium (Post 16266035)
I was doing about 800 miles between filter cleaning that's why the mileage was so great I can't afford a 280 mile filter cleaning issue no thanks

If you're doing mostly around town driving, there's no way you were going 800 miles between regens. But if it so happens that you were (and that's a big IF), then something was wrong with the truck. The DPF would live a very very short life getting that clogged up so often.

SkiSmuggs 05-07-2016 10:20 AM

After a 780 tow, I now camped for a week with short trips so I had 3 regen attempts. Told the wife we needed a 20 mile detour which she wasn't happy about. Got on the interstate with 6th locked out and completed the regeration in 11 miles.

radium 05-07-2016 12:32 PM

800 highway and now same trip to Utica ever 260 too 300 miles sucks, since the flash update even towing trailers. Before the flash it would do passive cleaning due too loads now ever other day filter cleaning even with the same loads ?? its almost like its not doing passive cleaning like it did prior to the flash?? dealer says all OK when checked. The job Monday threw Friday 1320 miles a week that used to be one cleaning a week now i am treated to 4 a week f this b s and my truck at 17895 has never once jackhammer and believe me i know what it is my first ruck did it at 650 miles i handed that one back to my dealer for this one.

Ricohman 05-07-2016 01:32 PM

I think my 2015 has always done a regen every 500km (300 miles).
But when I'm towing I never noticed a single regen.

Dakster 05-07-2016 01:50 PM

You are making me want to wait to get the updated flash Radium.

It takes a lot of miles to make back the delete money.

A properly running truck vs. a deleted truck the difference in MPG is .2 (according to some bloggers here that I trust to give accurate information)

Obviously it's your truck and your money so do what you want. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other.

radium 05-07-2016 02:05 PM

Not mine before flash like clock work 765-815 miles 15 minutes, now that's all i see it's going bye bye . i will save all the EPA stuff for the next fool in the back of the truck when i sell it. by the way NY some say requires this is not true dealer told me no state inspection for up state NY emissions only 8500 pounds and over the truck's weight not loaded told me does not blame me at all.

radium 05-07-2016 02:12 PM

i would not do it i wish i could go back :(

Ricohman 05-07-2016 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by radium (Post 16266885)
i would not do it i wish i could go back :(

What year is your truck?