Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   OT- Pike's peak has moved! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1433686-ot-pikes-peak-has-moved.html)

49f3dls 05-02-2016 02:33 PM

OT- Pike's peak has moved!

Can anyone in southern Colorado confirm Pike's Peak is still located outside of Colorado Springs! I just received my copy of "HAGERTY" magazine and in an article about the hill clime race "PIKE's Peak at 100" they say it is located just outside of Ft Collins .... I know Ft Collins was north of Boulder and Denver and Pikes Peak was outside of Colorado Springs in the past about 150 miles apart. I would like to know if either has move recently as nothing has been on the news about it? Thanks Have fun.
PS - I like the magazine.

ALBUQ F-1 05-02-2016 03:42 PM

Nope, it hasn't moved. The author also describes Pike's as the "highest highway in the world", which is not at all true. The Trail Ridge Road in Estes Park (which is "sort of" near Ft Collins) is the highest paved road in the US, so maybe she is confusing the two.

49f3dls 05-02-2016 03:54 PM

Thanks Ross I was beginning to worry. Next it might be beach front property in AZ!!

Tedster9 05-02-2016 03:57 PM

All the editors must have died several years ago.. whether newspapers or magazines, whatever.

49f3dls 05-02-2016 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tedster9 (Post 16254224)
All the editors must have died several years ago.. whether newspapers or magazines, whatever.

They think using wikipedia is a valid source for checking facts !!!

4tl8ford 05-02-2016 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 49f3dls (Post 16254237)
They think using wikipedia is a valid source for checking facts !!!

Wikipedia is found on the internet so whatever it says is the truth - as far as writing articles, todays media will take what ever the get if they can publish it for free

Edit: Also, the last time I was on Pikes Peak I drove several hugh stakes around the perimeter because it felt like it was moving

Mark Kovalsky 05-02-2016 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 16254198)
Nope, it hasn't moved. The author also describes Pike's as the "highest highway in the world", which is not at all true. The Trail Ridge Road in Estes Park (which is "sort of" near Ft Collins) is the highest paved road in the US, so maybe she is confusing the two.

The highest paved road in the US used to be on Mt Evens, which is about 100 ft higher than Pike's Peak. Either Mt Evens has shrunk, or Trail Ridge Road grew, or the Mt. Evens road isn't paved any longer.

pbsdaddy 05-02-2016 04:38 PM

I did feel something along the lines of an earthquake a month or so ago. Could that have been the cause of the misplaced mountain?

ALBUQ F-1 05-02-2016 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 16254276)
The highest paved road in the US used to be on Mt Evens, which is about 100 ft higher than Pike's Peak. Either Mt Evens has shrunk, or Trail Ridge Road grew, or the Mt. Evens road isn't paved any longer.

There are all kinds of qualifiers, I think Trail Ridge's claim is based on it being an actual thoughway, not just a road up a hill. There are roads in many other countries that rival or exceed either of them, and several in Alaska, in terms of elevation.

CBeav 05-02-2016 04:44 PM

Uh, not to pick nits but Mount Evans Rd. is the highest paved road in North America (over 2,000' higher than Trail Ridge.) However Trail Ridge is a thoroughfare, Mt. Evans Rd., like Pike's Peak Rd., returns to its beginning. Mt. Evans was my backyard for 16 years (exactly 16 miles west and 7,000' lower) which put me roughly in the middle of the other two.

If you ever plan to attend the race at Pike's Peak be aware that once you're on the mountain you'll be there until the race is over. There's no coming and going so be prepared - bring food, water, shelter and a source of heat. Anything can happen in a minute in the mountains. I was in a white-out blizzard on Mt. Evans on the Fourth of July, '94. Actually I was at Juniper Pass, 10,000', the base of Mt. Evans Rd. One minute it was 45 degrees the next minute it was snowing so hard you couldn't see ten feet away. Peeps in four-wheelers came off the mountain and literally kissed the ground as the road above was a solid sheet of ice.

CBeav 05-02-2016 04:48 PM

Geez, talk about posting lag... ;-)

49f3dls 05-04-2016 01:50 PM

Mystery solved - heard back from editor of "HAGERTY" magazine.

"Dave- Thanks for writing, and for being kind. Of course Pikes Peak is located outside Colorado Springs. While the storyıs writer Tara has never been there, I have been a handful of times, up the cog railway as a kid, and up to 14,000 feet for the race a handful of years ago. But the fault lies entirely with me, because it was I who inserted Ft. Collins ‹ you know, to add ³detail" ‹ into the story, not Tara. Donıt you just hate when your surefire memory fails you? Beyond that, I hope you enjoy the rest of the issue. We had a great time putting it together. Now, if we could just get our geography straight... Regards, Stefan Stefan Lombard >> Executive Editor >> Hagerty Magazine P: +1.800.922.4050 x8042 C: +1.231.342.3957 E: slombard@hagerty.com WWW.HAGERTY.COM | 141 RIVER'S EDGE DR., STE. 200 | TRAVERSE CITY, MI 49684"

Good to know he took ownership of the error and that the mountain is where it always was. Now if we could just get him to the correct road for the highest road it will be good. Have fun.

48 Steel 05-04-2016 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 49f3dls (Post 16254219)
Thanks Ross I was beginning to worry. Next it might be beach front property in AZ!!

There is beach front property in Arizona..

NumberDummy 05-04-2016 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 48 Steel (Post 16259749)
There is beach front property in Arizona..

But it's not ocean beach front, but it could have been if the Gadsden Purchase surveyors hadn't gotten "thirsty" and headed straight to Yuma.

Look at a map of AZ and you'll see the NW diagonal line they traveled.

And btw: Leadville CO is the highest incorporated city in the US at 10,000 ft. Anyone can drive there.

49f3dls 05-04-2016 06:55 PM

Colorado has a number of different "HIGHS" !! Lol