Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   10 Speed Transmission in the Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1432837-10-speed-transmission-in-the-super-duty.html)

hindy 04-27-2016 11:21 AM

10 Speed Transmission in the Super Duty

The 6R140 seems to be a very good transmission. What are the thoughts of the 10 Speed Transmission coming to the Super Duty in the near future?

By the way, love this site! I've learned a lot from all the comments here. Good discussion with very few negative slamming...

fordmantpw 04-27-2016 12:11 PM

My thoughts are that we will see it in '18 or '19. The '17 was running around with the 10 speed (and reports are that it is awesome), but it wasn't quite ready for production yet.

Now, the big question is whether or not the 6.7L will get the 10 speed or if that will be reserved for the gassers. I think the 6.7L will get a beefed up version of the tranny.

System 04-27-2016 12:41 PM

The problem with adding gears is we are still limited to the space that is now housing the six speed. There is a point of diminishing return to shrinking things to make it work whereby getting better performance with more gears but loosing strength with smaller/thinner internals. It will be interesting to see if the 2017's have more room for a future bigger trans.

fordmantpw 04-27-2016 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 16241347)
The problem with adding gears is we are still limited to the space that is now housing the six speed. There is a point of diminishing return to shrinking things to make it work whereby getting better performance with more gears but loosing strength with smaller/thinner internals. It will be interesting to see if the 2017's have more room for a future bigger trans.

Considering the F150 is getting the 10 speed, I see no space issues with it coming to the Super Duty line. Unless, is the 6R140 considerably bigger than the 6R80? If it is, then it could be a different story, at least for the diesel.

The reported 10%+ fuel economy gain with the 10 speed should be reason enough to bring it to the big trucks.

seventyseven250 04-27-2016 01:26 PM

Suspect they will run it in the F150's for a year or two before putting it into the super duty.

I'm really looking forward to this transmission. I like more gears.

fordmantpw 04-27-2016 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by seventyseven250 (Post 16241450)
I'm really looking forward to this transmission. I like more gears.

Ditto. That's part of the reason I'm waiting to buy (along with trying to save up some $$$ for down payment). I'm thinking a more powerful gas engine with a 10 speed tranny should be perfect for my towing needs.

System 04-27-2016 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by fordmantpw (Post 16241436)
Considering the F150 is getting the 10 speed, I see no space issues with it coming to the Super Duty line. Unless, is the 6R140 considerably bigger than the 6R80? If it is, then it could be a different story, at least for the diesel.

The reported 10%+ fuel economy gain with the 10 speed should be reason enough to bring it to the big trucks.

My mountain bike has 10 speeds too. What in the world does that have to do with a Super Duty getting one? Comparing a light duty car like truck to a 30k pulling 900-1000 TQ producing HD pickup is apples and oranges at it's finest. Put an F150 transmission behind a 6.7 and load it up heavy. Let's see how long that holds up. :-roll

fordmantpw 04-27-2016 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 16241494)
My mountain bike has 10 speeds too. What in the world does that have to do with a Super Duty getting one? Comparing a light duty car like truck to a 30k pulling 900-1000 TQ producing HD pickup is apples and oranges at it's finest. Put an F150 transmission behind a 6.7 and load it up heavy. Let's see how long that holds up. :-roll

What the heck dude? Are you reading something into my post that isn't there, and just trying to find something negative to say??

The only comparison I made was on space. You brought up the space limit, so I addressed that. The F150 and Super Duty have the same cab, which essentially means the same space underneath (yes, you have the frame, but overall, the space is likely comparable). And, like my post said, unless the 6R140 is considerably larger than the 6R80 (just because a tranny has more capability doesn't mean it has to be drastically larger in physical size), then space shouldn't be an issue in the Super Duty.

I don't see anywhere I said the F150 transmission was capable of being put behind the PowerStroke. Obviously, the trannies would be specced differently between the two.

System 04-27-2016 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by fordmantpw (Post 16241541)
What the heck dude? Are you reading something into my post that isn't there, and just trying to find something negative to say??

The only comparison I made was on space. You brought up the space limit, so I addressed that. The F150 and Super Duty have the same cab, which essentially means the same space underneath (yes, you have the frame, but overall, the space is likely comparable). And, like my post said, unless the 6R140 is considerably larger than the 6R80 (just because a tranny has more capability doesn't mean it has to be drastically larger in physical size), then space shouldn't be an issue in the Super Duty.

I don't see anywhere I said the F150 transmission was capable of being put behind the PowerStroke. Obviously, the trannies would be specced differently between the two.

LOL Dude, not being negative at all. Because a 150 can have a small 10 speed fit has NOTHING to do with fitting a beefier 10 speed that would be required behind a 6.7. I think I made that pretty clear dude.

fordmantpw 04-27-2016 02:48 PM

Ummmmm, OK, whatevs.

System 04-27-2016 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by fordmantpw (Post 16241595)
Ummmmm, OK, whatevs.

No, no. Your right. They could build a 10 speed to handle twice the output and keep it the identical size. Anything can be done eventually. All I said is, therein lies the challenge.

fordmantpw 04-27-2016 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 16241609)
No, no. Your right. They could build a 10 speed to handle twice the output and keep it the identical size. Anything can be done eventually. All I said is, therein lies the challenge.

Doesn't have to be identical size, just small enough to fit.

Notice how I added the part about the 6R140 for comparison sake. Any idea how much bigger the 6R140 is than the 6R80? I don't know, so if the 6R140 isn't much bigger, fitting a 10 speed for the PS shouldn't be a problem if they can fit a 10 speed in the F150. Now, if the 140 is twice the size as the 80, then that's a different story. That's why I qualified it.

If I had to bet, I would say the 10 speed for the F150 is only slightly larger than the 6 speed in the F150.

Oh well, it's neither here nor there.

cyncwby 04-27-2016 04:01 PM

My bike has a 16 speed and that's what I want for my new truck, I think all new Ford trucks should have them.....unfortuanately it would be the size of a Peterbuilt trans.

Now lets be sensible, my F250 had a 4spd trans and it worked just fine, then they built the 5R110 and it works just fine from what I hear. My new '16 F350 dually will have the 6spd. select shift which I hear is a beast and I'm sure it will fit my needs more than adequately. So where do they stop, 8 spd, 10 spd? it's just one upmanship, like the hp wars. We have "the best in class horsepower and torque". "We have a 10 speed trans. like no one else"

Now if you're a hauler, 4/5 car rig, BIG 6 or more horse gooseneck trailer or farm equipment trailer then maybe an 8 or 10 speed trans would work better....but at that weight and most likely daily long hauls wouldn't a bigger comm'l truck be the ticket? Anyway, just my opinion.

System 04-27-2016 04:02 PM

And don't get me wrong on liking the idea either. I too was hoping for it in this generation and was disappointed when it wasn't announced. I was simply speculating on what the hold up was. :-X22

fordmantpw 04-27-2016 04:54 PM

I would think they would be reaching the practical limit with a 10 speed. I would think you reach the point of diminishing returns after that. If a 10 speed can get 10% better MPG than a 6 speed, that's nearly 2 MPG in the PSD. After that, though, I just don't see the benefit.