Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Hampshire Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum158/)
-   -   Front End shakes!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/143217-front-end-shakes.html)

joeford150 08-13-2003 10:11 PM

Front End shakes!!

Hello fellow ford Men!!!!

I have a 1999 f150 4X4 offroad and love it. I am having some shaking in the front. It feels like tires are unbalanced. I checked my tires and even swapped them around. Went for a drive and around 50 or 60 mph it shakes at times off and on. I can feel it in a turn more, and seems to be on the left side. I could see no problems when I pulled the wheels. I did recently change the brake pads in the front and they seem smooth when breaking. I have had a CV problem on other vehicles but this has no sound to it, just shakes. Tires look ok. I have goodyear wrangler rt's. I bought the truck used and has been great any help would be appreciated.

DrDeth 08-14-2003 01:02 AM

Front End shakes!!

you might have a warped rotor? A ball joint is starting to go?

hitecdan 08-14-2003 01:25 AM

Front End shakes!!

Had a similar problem with my old 92 F-150. Ended up the camber adjustors were worn out. This caused the front end to shake between 65 and 75mph, exactly. At +76mph or below 64mph the front end was as smooth as silk. I has those tires balanced and rebalanced I don't know how many times before I finally figured this one out.

joeford150 08-14-2003 10:06 AM

Front End shakes!!

Thanks much! I'll be checking it out. By the way I don't want to exclude you ford ladies in my greeting!!!

rebelbob 08-28-2003 03:19 PM

Front End shakes!!

i bet i know what it is.the tie rod.

joeford150 08-28-2003 09:32 PM

Front End shakes!!

Had the tires balanced and they went out again in a couple days. Thanks to GOODYEAR Wrangler RT's. Tires should have gone another 30k with the tread on them. I bought some Big Boy tires BF GOODRICH T/A KO, anybody else tried these tires. I hear they are real tough.

Thanks again!:cool:

rhetor 05-18-2004 09:01 PM

I have the BFGs. very popular tire.

They have great tractiona and good road manners.

Unfortunately, i hate the ford TTB, and it eats the tires up like there's no tomorrow. Need to get alignments pretty often on this truck. Tires weren't too cheap either.

Everyone seems to like the BFG A/T tires. I see them on all types of trucks and SUVs. Most of the nicer trucks at the job site have BFG muds.

FordPickMeUp 06-28-2004 09:45 AM

It may be the ball joint.thats what the problem with mine is.ive never changed a ball joint and im not sure if i want to i know its a bit@#h to get those thing out and the press a new one back in. :-X01

Towmanjbo 07-27-2004 04:28 AM

I used to drive a 95 F450 wrecker and it had similar problems it turned out to be the steering stablizer shock being wasted. That truck had a mono beam axle with kingpins so it might not be the same. my 2cents :-X22