Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   1977 ranger xlt shift issue (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1431588-1977-ranger-xlt-shift-issue.html)

davem77f150 04-19-2016 09:23 AM

1977 ranger xlt shift issue

good morning. i have an 1977 F150 xlt ranger 4x4 that is my project truck.
i was driving it this morning and ..i think something in the clutch went out..or is going out...but i have never experinanced this so i am not sure.

when i shifted into 4th gear..the engine went to idle. im going along 40 mph and when i shifted from 3rd to 4th gear ..i let the clutch out and its like there is nothing there. i step on the gas and it does NOT accelerate or rev up. i had to push the clutch back in to rev the motor and down shift to 3rd. it went a long in 3rd for a little bit then all of the sudden started Surging.... sorta like when you first learn to drive a stick and you let the clutch out and the car./truck starts jumping around. it would do this WHILE i was driving...until i pushed the clutch back in. it did this several times during my 12 mile drive to work. at one point i was going down a steep hill and got up to 50mph...i put it in 4th gear and let the clutch out slow and i could feel the truck accelerate and i got it up to 60. i could not "get on it" though. i had to ease it to 60...then all of the sudden you could feel it let go and the engine go back to idle. i had to wait till i slowed down to 35 so i could put it back in 3rd gear and continue on. granny gear has no issue. 2nd gear works great..when i get to 3rd gear ..it works for the most part occasionally wanting to surge while i am rolling along...then 4th gear basically... has no power. there is a HORRIBLE LOUD Rattle sound when the truck warms up....i thought it was piston slap, but now i am thinking maybe its a throw out bearing>? any help is appreciated.

1977 Ford F-150 Ranger XLT 4x4 4 speed 351m.

thank you

77&79F250 04-19-2016 12:28 PM

Sounds like some of your clutch finger springs are broken and or your clutch is going out. When it goes out it either will not go in gear, when you push in the clutch, just grind like trying to put it in gear without pushing the clutch. Or it will slip so bad and not move the vehicle at all, and all you smell is burnt clutch.

Do you smell burnt clutch now when you are in 3rd or 4th with the clutch all the way out and the gas it and the RPM's climb, while the clutch "slips"?

You might try adjusting it to see if you have any clutch left? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14696839

davem77f150 04-19-2016 12:39 PM

my only experience with a failing clutch is as you described. in this instance though..there is no burnt smell. I shift in and out of gear with ease and the pedal is firm. its odd that I have power in 1st and 2nd gear . then I have some issues in 3rd and then nothing in 4th. I have had the truck about a month and have not had any issues other then that rattling when it warms up. like I said I thought it was piston slap, but im thinking maybe now its the throw out bearing. it does feel as though there is vibration in the clutch pedal when the rattling starts.

77&79F250 04-19-2016 12:57 PM

Might be a internal trans issue? Rattling could be heat shield is installed, inside of the cats if installed? But I really doubt that if you seem to feel it in the clutch pedal.

I have only heard of the clutch throw out bearing sound described as "chatter".

davem77f150 04-19-2016 01:08 PM

my truck sounds like a diesel..when it rattles or chatters... again..the noise is only at certain times. if I am idling and rev the motor there is 0 chatter or noise. it only does in when driving when I step on it..it goes away and when I let off the gas it makes more noise.

ill just have to get her into the shop and have them figure it out. :-) I appreciate your Reponses.

77&79F250 04-19-2016 01:18 PM

Sounds like internal transmission for sure then, good luck with it.