Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   92' F250 woes.. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1430046-92-f250-woes.html)

ncovelli 04-09-2016 11:09 PM

92' F250 woes..

Hey everyone,

It's my first post here in this forum. I've just bought myself a 92 f250 w/ the beloved 460. My old work truck crapped out on me, and this was the cleanest truck I could afford. 1500 bucks at 150k on the odo...not too shabby I guess.

Onto the fun stuff.

The truck definitely needs hoses. I'm looking to bypass the heater core. Anybody have any advice on that? I popped the little hose that goes from water pump to T-Stat housing on the way home with the truck....It's always the little stuff right..? Luckily the gauge hadn't even climbed up past 3/4 when I shut it off. SOB boiled over on me though.....that was real fun smh...Towed her home, switched the hose and topped off the coolant. Ran a little warm but she burped out the air and seems to be just peachy now.

Water pump- being that I have no maintenance records on the truck, how may I go about inspecting the water pump on this motor? I've read something about a weep hole on the bottom section of the pump. I'm also assuming it would be best to do the timing service at the same time?

Any advice on oil pump servicing on this motor?

Realistically, a master rebuild kit on this motor is pretty darn cheap based on what I've seen price wise online. In the event that a head gasket or something else kicks the bucket, I suppose I wouldn't be too upset.

All in all, anything else you guys can throw at me..please do. I need this truck to last a bit!

Thanks !

Lead Head 04-10-2016 07:24 AM

Change the fluids, thermostat, hoses and do a full tune up. Enjoy the truck. No reason to start changing parts that aren't broken.

ncovelli 04-10-2016 01:00 PM

Thanks for your response, that's the plan.

So I'm looking at my heater hoses now near the firewall and one seems to have a chuck that can be opened and closed with a set of pliers to bypass the heater core. That piece is starting to leak. I'm looking to just bypass the core all together as I live in Arizona.

Does anybody have a diagram of the hoses? One of the lines seems to T off on its way to the firewall.

Thanks,
Nick

Lead Head 04-10-2016 01:16 PM

The heater core on these trucks is extremely easy to change. You just remove the glovebox door, a handful of screws and it's right there.

ncovelli 04-10-2016 01:22 PM

You're right, I'm going to pull it out right now. I'll likely just replace it sometime later this week. The chuck valve I described earlier is ready to let go though, so for now I'll have to bypass the heater system. The lines are unbelievably old, and the core has a noticeable pin hole.

Can you give me some advice on the bypass?

Thanks

Lead Head 04-10-2016 02:19 PM

Remove it. Ford did not put that piece there, the hoses should just go right into the firewall.

ncovelli 04-10-2016 04:35 PM

It seems the gods don't want me working on the truck anymore today. The rain came in pretty heavy.

I got everything pulled apart. The brass chuck is also removed. It looks like for now I'll just hook the two together near the firewall and call it a day.

ncovelli 04-10-2016 09:16 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...3d3dab317.jpeg

Does anybody know where I can get the piece I'm pointing at? That line runs into the metal one in picture #2 which extends across the rad. And into a T. I searched online and at the local parts store to no avail. The metal section looks to be bolted on. <br/><br/>Thanks,<br/>Nick

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...563978508.jpeg

If you look closely you can see that hose I replaced yesterday to make it home. Pesky little 2$ part....water pump to T-Stat. It's a good thing I always keep a few gallons of water and some hose in all my cars!

Thanks again guys n gals.

ncovelli 04-11-2016 07:04 PM

Bump for more info

Lead Head 04-11-2016 08:10 PM

We just remade that line out of stainless steel tubing.

ncovelli 04-12-2016 12:09 AM

Sadly I don't have a way to accomplish that. I can't find a replacement for it either. Come tomorrow I'm going to pull it off and switch it out to hose.

Does anybody have a heater hose diagram?

Also, I need to take care of that pesky rad. To oil cooler hose. Advice?

92' xlt 7.5l

Nothing Special 04-12-2016 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ncovelli (Post 16200473)
Sadly I don't have a way to accomplish that. I can't find a replacement for it either. Come tomorrow I'm going to pull it off and switch it out to hose.

Does anybody have a heater hose diagram?

Also, I need to take care of that pesky rad. To oil cooler hose. Advice?

92' xlt 7.5l

I've never even thought about having a heater hose diagram. it always seemed pretty obvious looking at the truck.

As for the radiator to oil cooler hose, what's so pesky about it? It's a pretty straightforward remove and replace unless you are eliminating the oil cooler, but then it wouldn't be a "radiator to oil cooler" hose anymore, so it doesn't sound like you are doing that. if you are trying to eliminate the oil cooler, I just did it on my truck. Here is the thread I had on the '92 - '96 forum, and here is a longer thread on the big block forum.

ncovelli 04-12-2016 08:12 PM

I'm weird like that. You can never have too much information when you're going into a project. The last thing i need is to encounter something I missed during my inspection during the disassembly of the repair. I would then find myself walking to the parts store. Not fun.

As for the oil cooler, personally I'm not against taking it out. I'm seriously considering it after thumbing through your first post. If I have to remove the cooler for a hose change anyways, may as well pull it out. The most I ever tow is a small trailer with some quads or bikes.

Nothing Special 04-12-2016 09:31 PM

You need to take either the oil cooler or the water pump off to replace the hose that runs from the oil cooler to the water pump. But that's such a short hose I'd be tempted to just leave it unless it's clear that it needs to be changed.

Changing the radiator to oil cooler hose is just the two clamps.

And the pain of the oil cooler delete isn't taking it out, that's just 2 bolts. It's getting both the oil and the coolant to go where they belong after you do. The threads I gave before give the various options. None of them is painless.