Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   She's nekkid! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1429850-shes-nekkid.html)

ruschejj 04-08-2016 08:29 PM

Ha, it is an awful lot to take in and I'm glad you're home and not alone. My truck died near Ocala, Florida. Tow truck took me to a hotel on the way to a dealer on a Sunday evening and I never saw my truck again until it was finished 3 weeks later, lol. I was a wreck....

Hats off to ya for taking this in stride. Nice to have a warranty, huh?

2horses 04-08-2016 08:30 PM

Could you tell if the engine coolant ended up mixed with the engine oil?
Hubby says it didn't look like it had, the oil we saw in the valley (?) Was black and the leaked coolant on the floor was clear.

ruschejj 04-08-2016 08:32 PM

Good to know

2horses 04-08-2016 08:38 PM

There are so many ways this could be much, much worse that it it's easy for me to remain somewhat calm. She's at the dealership that has done all her routine maintenance, so they know both the truck and me pretty well. That helps a lot too. It's an unfortunate occurrence, but far from the end of the world. This too shall pass.

m-chan68 04-08-2016 10:20 PM

Well, if it's any consolation, I've only ever replaced ONE 6.7L engine, but replaced or "been into" quite a few 6.0L and 6.4L engines. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Something else worthy of mention is the ONE 6.7L I replaced, happened to be a 2011 model year 2WD XL truck. The replacement engine part number was FC3Z-6006-A. "FC3Z" is a 2015 model year part number. The replacement engine also had a decal on the left valve cover to indicate the updated glow plugs installed in it. As an aside, I ran the part number for my own truck, which happens to be a 2016 F-250. Sure enough, it comes up with the same FC3Z-6006-A part number. Do you see where I'm going with this?

kper05 04-08-2016 11:21 PM

I have learned having a good dealer and further having a good relationship with that dealer (the heavy truck service department) is important. I developed a good relationship with mine because it was there quite a bit for warranty work over the years and I was reasonable about things even though it got old.

It's the unknowns that really cause this repair cost to get out of hand. Say any of us decide to have the failed engine parts replaced out of warranty but then come to find out it instead needs a crate engine, new turbo, cooling system, emissions system, etc. and now you're spending as much as the truck is worth, maybe more. We know from previous repairs here that is around $26,000 at Ford's warranty price if the failure takes a bunch of hardware out with it.

senix 04-09-2016 06:07 AM

To me it is getting better for you. Hopes that you do get a 2015 motor and now a new intake and updated turbo as well.

Seriously, after all this surgery, drive the truck a couple of weeks, pull the horses a few times before deciding on a trade.

You are essentially resetting the clock on the truck. That darn thing will last a long time.

zeroo 04-09-2016 06:41 AM

wonder if any debris got trapped in the dpf?

2horses 04-09-2016 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by kper05 (Post 16192465)
I have learned having a good dealer and further having a good relationship with that dealer (the heavy truck service department) is important

Does it count that I have hugged my diesel mechanic for doing a good job on my truck? LOL! He's a young kid, but very conscientious about his job and takes it seriously. I was impressed with how neat and organized his work area was, in spite of the sheer amount of parts and pieces.

He also showed me my new engine, and made a point of letting me know it was brand new and shipped directly from Ford - no rebuild or third party involved. It is warranted for two years, unlimited mileage. I'm guessing it's a 2016, then?

djousma 04-09-2016 10:32 AM

If you decide you are going to be keeping her, then while the engine is out, you should be talking to the mechanic about which parts get reused on the rebuild. What I mean is the parts that wear out over time. Things like belts, hoses, etc that cost an arm/leg in labor to replace on their own later, is free now+cost of the parts. I think I'd be replacing all that on my own dime while she is torn down. Then consider the other maintenance while it is in there, Diff fluid(front/back), transfer case, transmission fluid if they havent already drained that, etc. By the time its all back together you will have essentially a new truck for another 100K miles.

Just a thought.

2horses 04-09-2016 10:36 AM

and now you're spending as much as the truck is worth, maybe more.
I was very tempted to ask how close we were to simply totalling her and just moving on......

Desert Don 04-09-2016 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by djousma (Post 16193147)
If you decide you are going to be keeping her, then while the engine is out, you should be talking to the mechanic about which parts get reused on the rebuild. What I mean is the parts that wear out over time. Things like belts, hoses, etc that cost an arm/leg in labor to replace on their own later, is free now+cost of the parts. I think I'd be replacing all that on my own dime while she is torn down. Then consider the other maintenance while it is in there, Diff fluid(front/back), transfer case, transmission fluid if they havent already drained that, etc. By the time its all back together you will have essentially a new truck for another 100K miles.

Just a thought.

This is what I would do, myself; unless I was actually thinking about a new truck.
Of course, a new truck comes with FULL warranty!

m-chan68 04-09-2016 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2horses (Post 16193144)
He also showed me my new engine, and made a point of letting me know it was brand new and shipped directly from Ford - no rebuild or third party involved. It is warranted for two years, unlimited mileage. I'm guessing it's a 2016, then?

What was the part number on the box the replacement engine came in? Better yet, what are the part numbers of everything being installed during this repair?

m-chan68 04-09-2016 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 16192645)
To me it is getting better for you. Hopes that you do get a 2015 motor and now a new intake and updated turbo as well.

To clear up any misunderstanding in my post, the engine I installed into the one 2011 truck was a 2015 LONG BLOCK. This means I had to transfer ALL the high pressure fueling plumbing, as well as injectors and lines onto the new assembly, which on 2015 and up engines is different from 2011 to 2014 model years. If I find a way to post pictures, I will.

m-chan68 04-09-2016 03:03 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I am posting photos from my phone, so if it doesn't load please excuse my inability to use a modern electronic gadget.