Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   OT bought a cool old motorcycle but it is a sad story (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1428031-ot-bought-a-cool-old-motorcycle-but-it-is-a-sad-story.html)

bigwin56f100 03-28-2016 05:19 PM

OT bought a cool old motorcycle but it is a sad story

I purchased this off eBay on Sunday.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...d9187bcf5.jpeg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...b50f2fa25.jpeg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...c502a73cd.jpeg

20 years ago my dad did some work for my neighbor and the old man insisted my dad take this very bike home. My dad cleaned it up and replaced the tires, Got it running and on his first outing at a bike night cruise took a first place!
My dad only had 2 cool items. He had a 66 dodge coronet 440 and this 1949 Hercules motorcycle.
My dad passed in 2003
My dad wanted his first grandson to get his car , my son was the first and was born in 2004 ,and my brothers son who was born in 2005 was given the motorcycle. Now mind you the boys are only 11 and 12 as of now.

A week ago I found my dads bike on eBay. I haven't spoken to my brother in years, so I had a friend bid on it, and another friend pick it up today.
It's too bad my brother didn't keep this for his only son.

abe 03-28-2016 05:47 PM

It is sad how siblings do not talk to each other. Is that how their parents would want it? I'm sure not. Hopefully your brother and you will get together again and make peace with whatever has caused the rift.

toby tough 03-28-2016 07:40 PM

That is a sad story, but think of it this way. You have them both. Although there is a certain monetary value to these 2 items, the sentimental value is priceless. Hopefully your kids will recognize that also. Nice save.

CharlieLed 03-28-2016 07:50 PM

Sad story up to the point where you got the bike...karma.

jvmcc 03-28-2016 08:39 PM

It's sad how sibling stuff can turn out. But you got the bike back, and it's got family history, and it's back in the family. And, that is a very cool bike.

Justboy 03-29-2016 07:32 AM

Seeing it on Ebay means fate meant you to have it. I have a sibling like that and they are just best avoided. Cool bike and even without the connection to your dad it would be a keeper.

ranger pat 03-29-2016 08:56 AM

I love the bike. I could not find another like it on the web. It is unique with the bubble tank, indian looking front fender and stamped looking body instead of tube frame. As a side note, I bought a new Harley VROD in 2003 when my grandson was born and told everybody it would be his when he turned 16. He is 13 now and his mother says he can't have it until he turns 25. Looks like I will have to hang on to it another 12 years.

Gary E 03-29-2016 11:57 AM

So glad you found it. was it with intel or pure chance :)

bobj49f2 03-29-2016 12:11 PM

You can't figure out family. I am in the middle of an older brother and younger sister. My mom did her best to get everyone to turn against each other. I have become the intermediate between my two siblings. I didn't know how much they disliked each other until after our mom died.

Nice bike with a great story. My trucks will be going to my youngest son, my oldest has gotten everything all his life. Another family discontentment set up by my wife's family. I don't know why people do this with their families.

49f3dls 03-29-2016 12:39 PM

That is a great looking bike. -- I don't think you should ever tell your brother you have it as he will probably say you ripped him off the way you got it.

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 16163967)
You can't figure out family. I am in the middle of an older brother and younger sister. My mom did her best to get everyone to turn against each other. I have become the intermediate between my two siblings. ----
I don't know why people do this with their families.

Hey Bob - could we have had the same mother!!
I usually say I am an only child with three brothers! But I am the only one that talked to all three. When our dad died the youngest ripped all of us off and now no one has talked with him since. Can't pick your family.

truckrod 03-29-2016 08:43 PM

That is a sad story, I think its sad you had to get someone to buy for you and someone else to pick it up for you.....

bigwin56f100 03-29-2016 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Justboy (Post 16163330)
Seeing it on Ebay means fate meant you to have it. I have a sibling like that and they are just best avoided. Cool bike and even without the connection to your dad it would be a keeper.

I couldn't agree more:-X22

bobbytnm 03-30-2016 03:11 PM

Cool bike. I'm glad it found its way back home.

I don't know the backstory between you and your brother, and I hope I don't offend here but I can't understand how things like this happen. I'm the middle of 3, my brother and I are 18 months apart and my sister is 8 years younger. We've always been pretty close. We might not always agree, ok, ok, there's a lot of times we disagree but we are still close.
I do realize that just because someone is family doesn't necessarily mean they are a good person. And, that just because they are family doesn't automatically mean you need to like them. I'm just lucky in my situation that my siblings are pretty danged cool.

Again, Kudos to you for getting the bike back to its proper home
Bobby

South of BC 03-30-2016 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by bobbytnm (Post 16167467)
Cool bike. I'm glad it found its way back home.

I don't know the backstory between you and your brother, and I hope I don't offend here but I can't understand how things like this happen. I'm the middle of 3, my brother and I are 18 months apart and my sister is 8 years younger. We've always been pretty close. We might not always agree, ok, ok, there's a lot of times we disagree but we are still close.
I do realize that just because someone is family doesn't necessarily mean they are a good person. And, that just because they are family doesn't automatically mean you need to like them. I'm just lucky in my situation that my siblings are pretty danged cool.

Again, Kudos to you for getting the bike back to its proper home
Bobby

Hey Bobby,

I'm glad you can't understand it, as well as the rest of you with close knit families. However I can, I have brothers and sisters I haven't talked to in decades. I can't speak for Kevin, but I'm fine with it, and we are all probably better off. I doubt Kevin feels much different, the fact his brother didn't even give him first right of refusal speaks volumes. So continue to count your blessings that you all get along.

To me the sad part of the story is that his brother didn't value the bike for what it was, a piece of his father. One of my favourite songs is 'The Randall Knife' by Guy Clark. It's about how an item, in this case his father's knife, can mean so much to because of sentimental value. I'm glad Kevin got the bike, obviously it means more to him than some collector could ever appreciate. And if the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, I suspect it will be in the family for quite some time.

Well, that's my take, hopefully I didn't offend anyone. And for the record, my '56 is MY Randall Knife, so don't even ask Kevin!!

bobbytnm 03-30-2016 08:37 PM

James,

Thanks for the point of view. I hear ya on the old knife tale. last year while trying to get into see a basketball game at the local college they had set up metal detectors. I, of course, was carrying my late step-dad's old Case pocket knife. It was quite a hike back to the truck and the snotty gal running the metal detector suggested I just throw it away.....WHAT?!?!?!?
I made the hike back to the truck. I carry the knife daily.

Now, back to the OT thread. Again, great bike! I'm glad its home
Bobby