Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   tuning software (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1425710-tuning-software.html)

rock2610d 03-13-2016 09:14 PM

tuning software

Has anyone ever used:

Special Forces

I am putting a Kenne Bell kit on my V10 and wanted to know if this is a good option?

krewat 03-14-2016 10:27 AM

That is stupidly dirt-cheap for a customized tuning package.

SCT's software is (list) $349 plus you need a tuner like an X3 (or X4?) to do the actual flash.

The Special Forces thing looks like it has a "chip" you plug into the PCM like the old days. It sounds like you would have to remove the chip every time you want to change the tune, plug it into the "burner", program it, and then plug it back into the PCM.

The SCT way means just plugging the X3/X4 into the OBD-II port and flashing.

bluetorp 03-18-2016 02:02 PM

I've never even heard of that company, and what I saw/read on their website doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Maybe it's a great product, but I personally wouldn't take a chance on it.

I've done a lot of tuning of LS engine vehicles using HPTuners, which I can't recommend enough. Great software and support. They currently support 05-16 V10 Superduty vehicles. If yours is older than that, I'd look into going the SCT route. I've never personally used their software, but I haven't heard anything bad about it. They're well-respected.

MisterCMK 03-18-2016 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by rock2610d (Post 16123109)
Has anyone ever used:

Special Forces

I am putting a Kenne Bell kit on my V10 and wanted to know if this is a good option?

What year is your V10?

rock2610d 03-18-2016 02:25 PM

Its a 2000

MisterCMK 03-18-2016 02:27 PM

Check with moates.net and see if they know if anybody has definitions for the 2000 V10. You can use a Quarterhorse with that truck.

rock2610d 03-18-2016 02:49 PM

Thanks I will check.

Anyone find it odd that both SCT and Delta Force are in Sanford FL?

rock2610d 03-18-2016 03:27 PM

Also want to wire in a WBO2.

Anyone know if there are any available ports on ECU to tap in a WB.

I was thinking since my excursion does not have EGR, maybe the ECU has a port for EGR I could use.

That way I can log A/F ratio via ECU.

Plus, my talon has a MAP sensor that I replaced with one that can read boost. Anyone know if the V10 has that?

MisterCMK 03-18-2016 03:56 PM

With the QH you can use a wideband and it doesn't have to be tied into the ECU.

My Mustang uses the EGR valve position to connect the wide band.

IMO the best solution would be to get a QH and BinaryEditor/EEC Analyzer and an Innovate Motorsports LC-2. You will need the proper licenses for BE to connect to the QH and the LC-2 but the logging should be pretty seamless after that.

You don't really need to log boost unless you want to. The Ford system is mass air based so the actual manifold pressure doesn't really matter since the ECU knows the mass of the air rather than looking it up based on the VE tables.

I would like to log boost on mine and IAT after the blower (my IAT is after the charge air cooler) so I was looking at the LMA-3 since it has the MAP built into it. Might be interesting to see the air temp before and after the cooler.

Make sure you scale your tables so you never peg them. Once you get the MAF curve dialed in you should set it up so you have plenty of head room - makes it easy to change the pulley and throw more boost at it. I want to say my tables go out to 160% LOAD and I am only hitting 130% or so as it sits.

Most of your time is going to be spent dialing in the MAF curve. Don't try and tune around a MAF curve that isn't spot on.