Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Side Glass - Opinion 1 piece or stock (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1425131-side-glass-opinion-1-piece-or-stock.html)

Don Vito 03-10-2016 12:12 PM

Side Glass - Opinion 1 piece or stock

So when I bought this project it had no side windows at all, except for the vent windows, it's time to think about whether I want to go with the original type side glass with vent or one piece side glass, I've read some here about it and either sounds like a challenge to install, I'd really appreciate some opinions on which way to go the pros vs the cons. Either way I will need everything from the window regulators to the little doo dads.
thx, Don

HILLBILLY BOB 03-10-2016 12:18 PM

I cant help you with that but,when i bought my 51 f1 it was all stock and i like the vent windows and would never get rid of them,also i have the cowl vent and it works great and i wont ever fill it in either

JPMallory 03-10-2016 12:33 PM

Are you installing AC? If not, I'd go with the vent windows. (Honestly, I'd go with them anyway, because I prefer driving with the windows down).

truckeemtnfords 03-10-2016 12:52 PM

You asked for opinions and mine is keep the vents.

CharlieLed 03-10-2016 01:16 PM

Based on your previous posts I believe that you have a 56 and are not a "keep it stock purist"...that said, the solid side window is easier to install on your truck than on a slant cab AND the look is far superior. If that is not enough...the wind noise from those vent windows is not something that you will miss. I have removed them from my 56 and my 40 coupe and I get thumbs up and thumbs down all the time but the thumbs up are 10 times the thumbs down...once again, it's what you want that matters.

56panelford 03-10-2016 01:23 PM

I did the solid side glass on my panel with electric and on the project I'm working on now will be the same except with hand cranks , both are 56 f100's, I also filled in my cowl vent on both.

abe 03-10-2016 01:38 PM

Keep the vent windows. The post will give you something to hang on to when your arm is resting on the open window sill, which Ford made higher and wider for the purpose of an arm rest as part of their Triple Economy trucks for 53-56.

Don Vito 03-10-2016 02:46 PM

So bottom line is the one piece side windows are easier to install, correct? If yes thats what I'm ordering.

CharlieLed 03-10-2016 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 16115044)
So bottom line is the one piece side windows are easier to install, correct? If yes thats what I'm ordering.

The solid side windows on the 56 are easier because the glass is flat all the way across the window opening...there is no curve in the door where the vent window meets the side glass. There is also a dogleg in the 56 door which moves the hinges away from the front edge of the window glass which means that you don't have all that "hinge pocket" modification to do. If you like the look, go for it.

BTW - as an added note, if you buy the glass and find that the exposed edge at the top is not smooth enough for your tastes you can easily sand and buff the edge to make it perfect. A lot like colorsanding paint.

jonf 03-15-2016 10:31 AM

Hinge picket mod?

What is "you don't have all that "hinge pocket" modification to do.":-huh

CharlieLed 03-15-2016 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by jonf (Post 16127405)
What is "you don't have all that "hinge pocket" modification to do.":-huh

Go to the Midfifty website and look under the "instructions" category for solid side window installation. Compare the 53-55 procedure with the 56 procedure and you will see what I am talking about.

Jafo56 03-15-2016 11:37 AM

I have 2 56 trucks one with vent window and one with out the one with the vent window tracks better so I would say use the vent window

ben73058 03-15-2016 03:15 PM

Hey Don,
Hmmm... If you already have working nice vent windows - you are miles ahead.
Those vent windows are hard to find & even harder to get installed correctly. I live in
Texas - it's nice to have the wind blowing on you and it's one of the things along with the
cowl that really stand out on the truck.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

mike.rogers 03-17-2016 06:57 AM

Just got my vent windows rebuilt and installed and finally got the door glass installed. I really like the looks of the old vent window in old trucks. Plus the extra added wind when your running down the road with no a/c :)

pbsdaddy 03-17-2016 04:45 PM

If you aren't going to have air conditioning, you will regret not having vents. If you are going to have air, it doesn't matter.