Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum60/)
-   -   2002 Escape radio really isn't Double-DIN... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1423524-2002-escape-radio-really-isnt-double-din.html)

WB4IUY 02-29-2016 06:53 PM

2002 Escape radio really isn't Double-DIN...

This is probably nothing new to some of you, but after reading a zillion messages here, I couldn't find anything about converting it. The hole in the dash has to be opened up with a dremel tool or saw, and the std double-DIN brackets don't work.

I cut the hole out in the sub-dash to accept the new double-DIN radio, and picked up some light weight 1" aluminum angle at the hdwr store today to build some "L" brackets to bolt to the sides of the new radio and allow it to be screwed to the sub-dash. I was able to fit the plastic slider from the back of the factory radio to the new double-DIN radio I'm installing, so the rear of the radio is stabilized by the factory bracket.

I'll upload some pics of this hack, once it's all working. From what I can see, it looks like there used to be some sort of adapter or installation kits for the early Escapes, but they all seem to be out of production now.

Dave

madsonp 03-01-2016 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by WB4IUY (Post 16087389)
This is probably nothing new to some of you, but after reading a zillion messages here, I couldn't find anything about converting it. The hole in the dash has to be opened up with a dremel tool or saw, and the std double-DIN brackets don't work.

I cut the hole out in the sub-dash to accept the new double-DIN radio, and picked up some light weight 1" aluminum angle at the hdwr store today to build some "L" brackets to bolt to the sides of the new radio and allow it to be screwed to the sub-dash. I was able to fit the plastic slider from the back of the factory radio to the new double-DIN radio I'm installing, so the rear of the radio is stabilized by the factory bracket.

I'll upload some pics of this hack, once it's all working. From what I can see, it looks like there used to be some sort of adapter or installation kits for the early Escapes, but they all seem to be out of production now.

Dave

Here's one. Ford ESCAPE 02 2002 Car Radio Double Din Dash Kit for new Stereo

WB4IUY 03-01-2016 06:01 PM

Thanks, I've already laid the dremel tool to the sub-dash. I wonder what the divider int he middle of the piece is in the double-DIN adapter in the link you sent? My radio is the size off both holes together,m without the center divider.

Oh well, thanks anyway, maybe that'll help someone else with an early Escape trying to do what I'm doing.

Dave

madsonp 03-01-2016 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by WB4IUY (Post 16090414)
Thanks, I've already laid the dremel tool to the sub-dash. I wonder what the divider int he middle of the piece is in the double-DIN adapter in the link you sent? My radio is the size off both holes together,m without the center divider.

Oh well, thanks anyway, maybe that'll help someone else with an early Escape trying to do what I'm doing.

Dave

The divider is so you can either mount two single DIN's (i.e. deck and equalizer) or if you cut the divider out, and mount one double DIN deck.