Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Slide-in / Truck Campers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum294/)
-   -   Lets see those slide-ins ! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1422668-lets-see-those-slide-ins.html)

RV_Tech 01-29-2017 07:29 PM

The reason I ask is getting into Wilderness is approaching winning the lottery if you want to stay during Christmas, but if there are sites to be found the tent area fills last and having water is of minimal concern to us. The facilities in Wilderness are great!

WYflyfisher 01-30-2017 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by WyoBull (Post 16889154)
Check out their website Steve, they have the weights listed. They are nowhere near the weights of an Arctic Fox, Alp etc.

We also have a Northern-lite on order at 5 Star RV -- an 8-11 Sportsman model since we didn't want the side awning, rear "patio," or tv, but wanted the glass windows for the type of camping we do. But we are cautious of what the actual weight will be since 5 Star weighs the campers and the weights seem to be more than the NL website shows. We also have on order an F250 XL gas with STX package in denim blue to match the Northern-lite. We expect to be right at GVWR. We have to pick up the truck in Bozeman late February, and then swing down to Brighton/Henderson to pick up the camper.

RV_Tech 01-30-2017 08:26 PM

The Norrthern Lites are super nice, but I am having a really hard time justifying the price given we intend to keep our fifth wheel also. Winter South and wander out West once the snow melts. :) Just can't see trying to winter in Florida in a truck camper.

Steve

WyoBull 01-30-2017 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by WYflyfisher (Post 16911546)
We also have a Northern-lite on order at 5 Star RV -- an 8-11 Sportsman model since we didn't want the side awning, rear "patio," or tv, but wanted the glass windows for the type of camping we do. But we are cautious of what the actual weight will be since 5 Star weighs the campers and the weights seem to be more than the NL website shows. We also have on order an F250 XL gas with STX package in denim blue to match the Northern-lite. We expect to be right at GVWR. We have to pick up the truck in Bozeman late February, and then swing down to Brighton/Henderson to pick up the camper.

We bought our NL from 5 Star as well and it came in a couple of weeks ago but will not pick it up until later in February. I looked at the Sportsman model Jay had in stock and it weighed just under 2100 pounds dry.
We got the 8.11 SE and it will be right at 2500 lbs dry.

WyoBull 01-30-2017 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by RV_Tech (Post 16911571)
The Norrthern Lites are super nice, but I am having a really hard time justifying the price given we intend to keep our fifth wheel also. Winter South and wander out West once the snow melts. :) Just can't see trying to winter in Florida in a truck camper.

Steve

Steve,
I know what you mean, the NL's are on the pricier end, especially since this will not be your primary RV.

FordmanNJ 02-04-2017 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by RV_Tech (Post 16908644)
The reason I ask is getting into Wilderness is approaching winning the lottery if you want to stay during Christmas, but if there are sites to be found the tent area fills last and having water is of minimal concern to us. The facilities in Wilderness are great!

That is very true. I spoke with my wife and she thinks you should be able to get into the tent loops with no problem. My friend who tent camps there several times a year feels the same way. The only way to see if you can get a spot for Christmas is to book 499 days in advance. I know there is a large demand for Christmas and Halloween. We did Halloween last year but we stayed at Wilderness Lodge that last time. We did take a boat ride of the Fort and it was different as a visitor.

RV_Tech 02-04-2017 04:03 PM

Right now I am looking at a 2010 NorthStar TS1000 pop-up which has been replaced by model TS950. In the options list is a riser kit for trucks with higher side walls and Super Duties specifically listed. My 2002 doesn't have the high sidewalls as the newer trucks, but when did Ford increase the sidewall height? I am trying to figure out if this is something I will need. I am guessing I could build a reinforced spacer myself without too much trouble.

Anyone know anything about this option? Haven't been to look at it yet or I would just measure myself. :)

Steve

WYflyfisher 02-04-2017 05:17 PM

We had to raise our camper a couple of inches due to a propane line that didn't clear our Chevy 2500HD sidewall. We just used 4 2x4's across the bed floor that the camper would rest on. We used the perforated rubber material you use to line cabinets/drawers and stapled it around the 2x4 so they wouldn't slip as much. Some people place a piece of plywood over the 2x4's to distribute the weight of the camper. We won't have an issue with the 2017 F250 and Northern-lite.

RV_Tech 02-04-2017 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by WYflyfisher (Post 16924766)
We had to raise our camper a couple of inches due to a propane line that didn't clear our Chevy 2500HD sidewall. We just used 4 2x4's across the bed floor that the camper would rest on. We used the perforated rubber material you use to line cabinets/drawers and stapled it around the 2x4 so they wouldn't slip as much. Some people place a piece of plywood over the 2x4's to distribute the weight of the camper. We won't have an issue with the 2017 F250 and Northern-lite.

That was my thought too. Just some 2x4s as I have rails for the fiver hitch and then a sheet of plywood on that or maybe Trex decking material.

Thanks,

Steve

ExDakotaOwner 02-09-2017 01:08 AM

If I had a dually, id strongly consider a Host Everett 3 slide. Thing is huge for a TC.

stufarmer 02-10-2017 03:14 PM

We've had several Truck Campers in the past. I can't wait to show off our new Lance 1172. We ordered it and it should be here by May so it might be a 18' model.
In the mean time I'm still setting up the truck. We bought a new 16' F350 C/C 4wd Dually.
So far, I've got the Hellwig Ft & R Big Wig Sway Bars, Hellwig Air Bags, Viair On-Board System, Bilstein Shocks and the Bed Line-X completed. I've yet to install the Lance Cab-Over Shock Brackets, the HappyJac Front Tie-Downs and Torklift Rears. This way I'll be able to re-use our Torklift Fast-Guns. What I haven't done is decide if I'm going to use Torklifts Upper and or Lower StableLoads or ?? Anyway, this is fun. Love cool Trucks and Campers !!

WyoBull 02-10-2017 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by stufarmer (Post 16941281)
We've had several Truck Campers in the past. I can't wait to show off our new Lance 1172. We ordered it and it should be here by May so it might be a 18' model.
In the mean time I'm still setting up the truck. We bought a new 16' F350 C/C 4wd Dually.
So far, I've got the Hellwig Ft & R Big Wig Sway Bars, Hellwig Air Bags, Viair On-Board System, Bilstein Shocks and the Bed Line-X completed. I've yet to install the Lance Cab-Over Shock Brackets, the HappyJac Front Tie-Downs and Torklift Rears. This way I'll be able to re-use our Torklift Fast-Guns. What I haven't done is decide if I'm going to use Torklifts Upper and or Lower StableLoads or ?? Anyway, this is fun. Love cool Trucks and Campers !!

Congratulations! We pick our Northern Lite next month. Post pictures when you get it.

ExDakotaOwner 02-11-2017 01:31 AM

Had to have it 6 digits with that combo. Sounds awesome! I cant wait to see it.

RV_Tech 02-13-2017 06:51 AM

For those of you who are truck camper with a SRW, how does it do in the wind and when passed by trucks? Still intend to travel with as little weight as we can live with. Now are considering NL Igloo and Lance 915. Have not however ruled out pop-ups. Have spent hours researching truck campers.

Steve

WYflyfisher 02-13-2017 11:36 AM

As far as highway driving and wind, we have a SRW short-bed and have been carrying a 3,000 lb. wet weight, hard-side camper for 8 years with no problem. It's a very comfortable setup. During the winter we get extremely strong winds, so when the camper is off the truck, we put a rope over the front and tie it down to an anchor bolt in the driveway.